PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Need to prove house sale from 2001?

Hi there,

I moved to Ireland back in 2001, and sold my house in the UK at that time.

I am now having to apply for carer's allowance to look after my Mum after she had a stroke and I'm being asked to prove the sale of the house.

Any ideas? I can't even remember the name of the solicitor and the estate agent went bust years ago.

Is there anything I can purchase from the land registry to show the house was in my name and it was sold?

Many thanks for your help

K

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    From all your paper records of the transaction, the lead up to that etc etc etc
  • Sorry, should have been clearer. I have no paper records from 2001, nor any electronic records. I always thought the 7 years was standard for data retention?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I moved to Ireland back in 2001, and sold my house in the UK at that time.

I am now having to apply for carer's allowance to look after my Mum after she had a stroke and I'm being asked to prove the sale of the house.

Do you need to prove that you sold the house or just that you aren't the current owner?

Why are they going back so far for financial information?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry, should have been clearer. I have no paper records from 2001, nor any electronic records. I always thought the 7 years was standard for data retention?

Well, your experience now seems to prove that isn't the case. I would always keep house sale and purchase records for much longer than that (in fact, I have all of them going back to my first purchase 21 years ago).

It probably is worth paying £3 to the Land Registry to access their records for the house, which may indeed show that you sold it in 2001.
  • Yes - and looks like I nearly paid £15 for the same information from some setup with exceptionally similar name.... thanks, google ads... NOT.

I guess they want to know that I don't still own the house? Hopefully the land registry doc will cover it. I'm hoping it will have my name and date of sale?

Thanks again
  • Right - so that doesn't show me on it at all. Just shows the current owners.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    There is a request you can make to the land registry for historic deeds. Also have a look on zoopla as it may list the price it sold for.

Where did the money go from the solicitiors ie your bank after paying any outstanding mortgage/loan? If so, ask for copies of your bank statements for that year.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Looks like I can order historical info, but not online.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There's no capital restriction on Carer's Allowance -
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Have you asked why they want the information about your house sale?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I guess they want to know that I don't still own the house?

If that is all they want to know, then what you have is fine surely?
    Right - so that doesn't show me on it at all. Just shows the current owners.

If you are unsure specifically what they want, you really need to ask them.

Mojisola wrote: »
    There's no capital restriction on Carer's Allowance -
    www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Have you asked why they want the information about your house sale?

But the OP lives in Ireland so the rules there may well be different.
    I moved to Ireland back in 2001
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport