PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I need to sell my house!

Comments

• Doodles
    Doodles Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I would love to live in a property like that :-) all that outside space, fresh air and no neighbours.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 7:28AM
    That's a shame it's now unfurnished.

I wonder whether it would be possible for you to furnish it again and then put it up as a "one of a kind" and "try before you buy" holiday rental?

Sort of slanted at those that want complete privacy/peace & quiet/etc and would have a "try before you buy" option of renting it for a week or two as a holiday cottage first. Then, if they liked it enough, they could go on to buy it.

I say that because I rented a holiday cottage one time that I "knew" was about to be up for sale (though no-one had said so). So I duly had the chance (whilst I was actually living there) to "try it for size" and have a darn good check of floors/walls/etc and see whether it would be a viable option for me to buy.

Sure enough - it did go up for sale very soon after I'd rented it. I decided, in the event, it wasnt for me - but it was certainly the best chance I'd had for a good looksee at a potential house purchase.

My other thought here also involves putting furniture back in it - and wondering whether you could also think in terms of renting it out as a "location" for filming tv programmes/films.

Third thought - there's a pretty well-known "celebrity" that loves the Outer Hebrides (am I getting my geography right for there LOL?)/recently had an extended holiday there with her 2nd husband and doesnt seem to currently own a home (but I think would like to have one again). I've met her - and she's a decent person. I've no idea if she's currently able to afford to buy a home again for herself/new husband or would move area - but I suspect she'd rather like yours. PM me for contact details if that seems an idea. In your position - I might think of contacting her and offering a couple of extra weeks holiday there at some point at a good rate - eg free (in case there's any possibilities there that she'd like to move there permanently/could afford it or would like a free holiday there, subject to doing a YouTube video about it?).
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Got to try my more like this test

but given the area not expecting a big sample to work with.

kirkwall+20miles 4B+ any price, inc SSTC

19 available and none in the SSTC list.

dropping to 3bed 39 still no SSTC (maybe they don't show)

What has sold in the last 2 years anywhere that is even close to this place in terms of accommodation land and remoteness?

you have local competition with more land and a bit of a loch and a bit cheaper
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

Even more idiosycratically laid out and with just one toilet for 4 "bedrooms" AFAICS.
    In the OPs case what is a bedroom is debatable, but given no dining room and no downstairs bathroom, I'd say it's "really" a 3 bed.

But bottom line it comes down to price. There must be a very restricted pool of buyers here, I don't know this island but if the area is depopulating then it may even be close to worthless however nice it is. "Phil and Kirsty" get a lot of stick here, but the title of their TV programmme isn't called Location Location Location for nothing,
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    My initial reaction is its just not presented very well, needs some landscaping, things like having two types of flooring in one hallway seems odd.. Definitely needs a repaint to make it look better, a pink lounge is going to put people off, generally you want light oak style wood not dark wood if it can be sanded back and protected. Peach toilet is over powering, paint it a more neutral colour, the lilac bedroom, probably ok but the blue one omg no...

The biggest problem is location, however lovely it is to be in the middle of nowhere and thats exactly what people want, but they want to be in the middle of nowhere just around the corner from a Tesco (Other supermarkets will do)
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 8:08AM
    ...Third thought - there's a pretty well-known "celebrity" that loves the Outer Hebrides (am I getting my geography right for there LOL?)!!!8230;..

No - not quite :) The Outer Hebrides (AKA The Western Isles) is the islands of Lewis & Harris down to Barra off the west coast of Scotland.
    The Orkneys & Shetland are off the north coast of Scotland (collectively known as the Northern Isles) and are about 150 miles north east of the Hebrides - as the seagull flies..

Downstairs bedrooms are the norm in rural Scotland - local buyers would know to expect that. Many of the English mainland 'norms' don't really apply to island homes.

If you are saying folk are not able to proceed - have they said why?
  • Both the OP's house and the one linked to by getmore4less have layouts that are, frankly, crackers and would, for many people, prove quite difficult to live in on a day-to-day basis.

These surely have to be holiday lets/2nd homes, as the pool of buyers with a family requiring a 4-bed house who would want to move to such a remote place must be absolutely tiny.

eta: downstairs bedrooms are one thing - after all, bungalows exist - but it's the lack of bathrooms and the having to go through one room to get to another, rather than having a connecting corridor, that I'm referring to.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    The biggest problem is location, however lovely it is to be in the middle of nowhere and thats exactly what people want, but they want to be in the middle of nowhere just around the corner from a Tesco (Other supermarkets will do)
    To be fair, much of the Highlands & Islands are more "middle of nowhere" than this - because of the causeways, South Ronaldsay is effectively part of the Orkney mainland, so you can get to a big Tesco (and the other services at Kirkwall - secondary school, general hospital, airport etc) in about half an hour.
  • Becks32
    Becks32 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I am a little concerned that there are so many posts about there being no downstairs toilet - There is! As mentioned before bedrooms downstairs is fairly normal for Scotland and not something I can change. I can see that the colour scheme could be off putting (This can definitely be changed!). The landscaping outside is more difficult due to logistics and lack of funds available, will certainly look in to options though. We have someone mowing the grass regularly so could ask him to advise.

We have had about 8 serious offers since it has been on the market of which 7 couldn't sell their houses and 1 couldn't get a mortgage due to previous debt issues. The house pictures have only recently been changed to show it as empty and we didn't have any more interest when it was shown as furnished, although I agree that people aren't able to visualise themselves and its always better furnished.

The house is fairly remote but what I am confused about is that houses on the islands off of Orkney are selling. This means either 2 boats or 2 planes to get from the mainland, no supermarket, no secondary school, Drs surgery only open a couple of days a week and hospital 2 ferries/planes away. If these houses are selling (for not a lot less despite being older) then my house can not still be on the market because it is remote. Although it looks in the middle of nowhere it is as I said only 10 minutes from the local village, school bus comes to the end of the drive for primary and secondary.
  • Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    OP,

I love the house, the grounds, the outbuildings and all that goes with it. Living the dream (albeit my wife would probably disagree!) Would not be at all bothered by any of the minor internal idiosyncrasies. If it were down my way, I would happily pay £2m.

The location is also stunning and will appear to someone...but there is a but coming!!

The property is a family house at the very tip of South Ronaldsay - an island with only 900 or so people. Presumably most of the decent paying work & schools, shops etc are in Kirkwall or at the oil and gas facilities - that must be at least a 40 minute drive away. It looks like at least a 15 minute drive to get a pint of milk.

So the number of potential buyers is going to be very limited indeed. I reckon there are too types of potential buyer....

1) Oil & Gas execs that re-locate to Orkney with their families
    2) City escapists who have bagged a million or so for selling their pokey flat in Fulham etc and want something else.

Personally I would really attack 1) as with 2) I expect you would get a lot of tyre kickers.

I would find out the names of all the oil & gas companies active in Orkney and get some flyers out, posters or whatever you can think of.

Wishing you the very best of luck - if no one takes it, I 'll pay £30k cash!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure