Skirts ok for women, shorts not ok for men...

Options

Comments

• PersianCatLady
    Options
    Hi all,
    Our company has recently amended its summer dress code; it states that dresses & skirts are ok, but shorts are not. Am wondering what people's feelings are about this in terms of possible sexual discrimination, i.e. the men HAVE to wear trousers whereas the women have a choice. To clarify, this is office based work, with no health & safety factors to consider.

As long as men can wear skirts then there is no sexual discrimination.

I am presuming that women are not allowed to wear shorts either??
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's discriminatory as while technically men can wear skirts it is not generally considered socially acceptable so it's not creating an equal situation for men and women.
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    I think it's discriminatory as while technically men can wear skirts it is not generally considered socially acceptable so it's not creating an equal situation for men and women.

Welcome to the 21st century, where have you been??
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Moaning about the discriminatory aspects of dress codes is best left to school kids (cue the perennial photos of schoolboys in dresses in the local paper). Grown up men will find they can wear trousers in warm weather without injury.
  • KittenChops
    Options
    Nothanks wrote: »
    This crops up every summer. File it alongside "women can wear flip flops" in the non-issue stop moaning pile.

You know, I've never understood why anyone would think wearing flip flops in an office is appropriate footwear...!
  • KittenChops
    Options
    tbh id rather not see men in shorts at work, too much of it will turn my stomach.

Save it for your own time and/or whoever has to put up with it at home.

Im sure you can wear a skirt if you insist though, doubt they would stop you, if anything they would support your new lifestyle.

Give people too many rights and stupid things like this happens.

Erm.. I'm at work and wearing a skirt right now... Thanks though!!
  • KittenChops
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    You see, IMO this is where a good manager would have spoken to them and suggested that very short, sporty-style shorts were not appropriate office wear, just as very short, skimpy mini-dresses might not be appropriate. No need to amend the dress code for one person not knowing where to draw the line.

I remember in a past life a manager asking a receptionist not to reveal her newly pierced midriff on the reception desk. She asked if it was because she wasn't young and skinny. No, the manager assured her that even if she was young and skinny it would not be appropriate to reveal her midriff on the reception desk.

Absolutely agree.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If its good enough for the Royals (Prince George alays wears shorts as per royal protocol) i really don;t see whey men can;t wear shorts to work. My bf has this very issue in work, all the ladies were wearing skirts and dresses and the guys were stuck in trousers (well i say trousers, he's allowed to wear joggers), he raised it with his boss and thankfully they are now allowed to wear shorts. If we;re goign to have equality i dont see why men should have to suffer as a result.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    HOw on earth is wearing trousers equating to suffering?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a bit annoying, but then again, men still tend to get paid more than women, so you could say it's swings and roundabouts....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure