IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Advice please on case regarding contracting with minors

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its usually a god idea to put what put what you intend to say on here first, who/what company is the franchisee?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Whether a contract exists or not, a judge may very well decide that failing to enter a VRN in a free car park, when you are a patron of the restaurant is a trifling matter, and the Law does not concern itself with trifles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_minimis

They may also recognise this as the scam which it is. Has your son vented his spleen on social media?

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the House of Commons recently

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41 recently.

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.

sa sc
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • jkdd77
    jkdd77 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For what it's worth, I think that the argument that parking is not a "necessity" within the meaning of the case law quoted above has merit (there is no definitive case law on the question of whether parking is indeed a necessity), but I'm not aware of a single case actually won by the minor driver or his/her parents on this ground, and it seems that, in practice, most judges don't like a perceived attempt to "evade responsibility" in this manner.

I would include it as one defence point amongst many, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it succeeding.

As regards s.2 of the Sales of Goods Act 1979, parking is a service rather than a good.

There might be an additional argument that a court should be slow to hold that a minor, being a person who is deemed in law to lack full mental capacity and understanding, genuinely intended to accept and enter into such a one-sided, onerous and punitive parking contract, or to agree to a term of paying £100 for such a trivial "breach".

Once again, however, I think most judges would lazily apply Beavis without considering the special position of minors.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 7 August 2018 at 8:40PM
    You'll be hard pressed to argue a fully qualified 17 y.o. driver with the responsibility for being in charge of a potential weapon (there's case law in that) cannot be responsible for a £60 parking fine. I just don't see that this point has legs. Google gillick competence too. Different context, but sound principles as to decision making and understanding.

That said - there may be brilliant reasons that C's case will fail - genuine customer, mere typos, unclear signs etc.

Write to the debt collector give your address, confirm its an address for service and let them crack on. They appear to be on notice that D is a minor, so they will either have to wait or sue D via mum/dad as appropriate.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,191 Forumite
    Johnersh wrote: »
    You'll be hard pressed to argue a fully qualified 17 y.o. driver with the responsibility for being in charge of a potential weapon (there's case law in that) cannot be responsible for a £60 parking fine.
    It's not a fine. :)
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    Would a minor have the capacity to understand that by parking the car he was accepting the terms and conditions of the contract?

Yes, a 17 year old would have the capacity to understand. Please try to avoid setting the rights of teenagers back to the days of Agar-Ellis in the cause of getting out of a parking ticket.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • It's not a fine.
    :rotfl:
    A silly error. *Claim not fine*

I shall redouble my efforts to avoid further uses of misleading terminology! :D
  • Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 August 2018 at 12:29AM
    I have been visiting this site for over twelve months now whilst fighting my own case. What seems to be apparent to me is that decisions made by judges can be quite random. If though you give them enough reasons to dismiss the claim one of them may do the trick.

I am not trying to set the rights of teenagers back but I can understand how parents feel when their kids get shafted.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • A parent's love n' all thzt. Fine.

But young adult not kid. That is why the point is doomed to fail - this is more than the whimsy of different judges. There's some high level case law on the point.
    If though you give them enough reasons to dismiss the claim one of them may do the trick

I disagree - that can be the case, but it is also true that good points can be shrouded by bad ones.
  • Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    I have taught this age group and they are extremely naïve when it comes down to finance and contracts etc.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport