IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Advice please on case regarding contracting with minors

Options
Hi There
I am after a bit of advice please, hoping someone can help
I will set the scene
*17 Year old son, new to driving visits a fast food joint drive thru, pulls over in car park for 10 mins eats his food, fails to validate a ticket then leaves. he did this 2 nights running
* 2 X PCNs arrive for £100 each
* we appealed to Parking Company and it got rejected
* we appealed to POPLA on basis of contract law. i.e a 17 year old, not commercially mature, is a Minor etc. Minors are able to void contracts on grounds of misunderstanding etc, this does not apply to contracts for necessaries eg, Employment, Accommodation etc
*POPLA rejected this stating that parking is a necessary

My question is this, UK contract law is quite specific, I feel that POPLA have misinterpreted this and as such I will not be paying the charge. I cannot find anyone else using this part of contract law as a defence and I am pretty sure that the parking company may not want to pursue in the courts for fear of setting a precedent ( i.e if they lose then all 17 year old drivers could use this as an angle)

I now have 28 days to pay ( so the parking company say) before they take legal and recovery action.

does anyone think I have a good chance here, is it worth me pursuing ?

would be grateful if anyone knows of other cases

Comments

• nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No, you can contract for neccessities when under 18. This is indeed clear. ]

Which company is it?
  • rippedoff16
    Options
    I am aware that under 18 you can contract for necessities, however is Parking a Necessity ?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am aware that under 18 you can contract for necessities, however is Parking a Necessity ?

Its pretty necessary unless you have a hover car
  • rippedoff16
    Options
    Ok Thanks, I was using the guidance below. But you seem to state otherwise

“The general law states that contracts entered into by children that are for necessaries are binding on children, as are those for apprenticeship, employment, education and service where they are rightly said to be for the benefit of the child.
    Contracts for necessaries are for such things as the supply of food, medicines, accommodation and clothing, but conveniences and products and services for comfort or pleasure are excluded, as are commercial or 'trading' contracts. These latter contracts are therefore voidable at the option of the minor.”
  • Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They might be on dangerous ground if they start to use debt recovery agents against a 17 year old.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    who's car park ?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • rippedoff16
    Options
    It was a McDonalds Car Park
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2018 at 1:52PM
    Options
    Even if you were right to believe they cannot touch a minor, there is absolutely nothing stopping them waiting until he is 18 years old and pursuing him then.

They have up to six years (in England and Wales) to chase an alleged debt through the courts.

Your son is now at the Ignore Debt Collectors stage.
    Post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread offers good guidance on how to deal with debt collectors' letters.
  • rippedoff16
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Even if you were right to believe they cannot touch a minor, there is absolutely nothing stopping them waiting until he is 18 years old and pursuing him then.

They have up to six years (in England and Wales) to chase an alleged debt through the courts.

Your son is now at the Ignore Debt Collectors stage.
    Post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread offers good guidance on how to deal with debt collectors' letters.

I am aware, but again the law states that a Minor is able to Void the contract whilst a Minor and for a reasonable period afterwards. I forgot to mention that he has also written to the Parking company advising them that he is exercising his right to Void the contract. I think the law applies to his age at the time and not when he is 18. i.e he was incapable of understanding the terms when he was 17 so waiting 6 years would make no difference
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Where does that quote in post #5 come from?

Is it just someone's interpretation of the law?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure