The seller now wants more money

Options
I bought a motorcycle cheaply from a nice old lady who's son had left it sitting in her garden for years. I made an offer, the old lady told me she would consult her family to check if the offer was acceptable, she said she had checked and that it was. Now, after I got the bike through the MOT without having to spend much, her granddaughter has contacted me saying she wants more money or the bike back and that the old lady never had the right to sell it to me, also, as the old lady and I both signed the V5 in the names of someone else, ( I signed it in my sons name as I was buying it for him, she signed it in her sons name as he is disabled and unable to deal with it himself), the granddaughter is also threatening to report the bike as stolen if I don't pay her more or give the bike back. I don't know where I stand ? Can someone please advise me what to do? Thank you.

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How cheaply? I'd be inclined to ignore her and take the gamble that she's not going to get her own mother charged with theft (as she'd have been the one to steal it).

Or you can offer for her to buy it back for what you paid including costs to collect it and MOT.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought a motorcycle cheaply from a nice old lady who's son had left it sitting in her garden for years. I made an offer, the old lady told me she would consult her family to check if the offer was acceptable, she said she had checked and that it was. Now, after I got the bike through the MOT without having to spend much, her granddaughter has contacted me saying she wants more money or the bike back and that the old lady never had the right to sell it to me, also, as the old lady and I both signed the V5 in the names of someone else, ( I signed it in my sons name as I was buying it for him, she signed it in her sons name as he is disabled and unable to deal with it himself), the granddaughter is also threatening to report the bike as stolen if I don't pay her more or give the bike back. I don't know where I stand ? Can someone please advise me what to do? Thank you.

What's the make and model of the bike, how much did you pay and what's it's true value?
  • LuckyEddy56
    Options
    Hi and thank you for the message, I am worried that as the V5 had not actually been signed by the new keeper and old keeper, that she could somehow make it look like I had stolen it and get the police to retrieve it for her? I was told they were thinking of scrapping it and the old lady informed me that she had been instructed to take "Any offer", I offered her £300, knowing it needed tyres and a battery and may need a chain and sprocket set and may have other problems?
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This sweet old lady and her daughter are trying to make a monkey out of you. How many times has this "motorbike" been sold and swiped back from the hands of the buyer I wonder?
  • LuckyEddy56
    Options
    It's a Suzuki 1250 bandit that had been sitting on two flat tyres with a rusty chain and rusty brake disks and without being started for years. It also has a damaged petrol tank and a broken front fairing. I offered her £300 not knowing how much it would cost to get back on the road. In good condition and with an MOT, they fetch between 2-3k on Ebay
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The V5 is a bit of a red herring, since it tells everyone in big red letter it is not a proof of ownership. You were clearly entitled to buy, but was the old lady entitled to sell?

When you say "signed in the name of" what do you mean? If you signed "Joe Bloggs for Fred Bloggs", no problem. If you forged Fred's signature, that complicates matters.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    This sweet old lady and her daughter are trying to make a monkey out of you. How many times has this "motorbike" been sold and swiped back from the hands of the buyer I wonder?

Or the Op will make more than a monkey when he sells it
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi and thank you for the message, I am worried that as the V5 had not actually been signed by the new keeper and old keeper, that she could somehow make it look like I had stolen it and get the police to retrieve it for her? I was told they were thinking of scrapping it and the old lady informed me that she had been instructed to take "Any offer", I offered her £300, knowing it needed tyres and a battery and may need a chain and sprocket set and may have other problems?

The V5C has nothing to do with ownership, although it does rather underscore the risks of buying a vehicle from someone who isn't the registered keeper.

If you already have a record of her saying that her mother sold it to you (albeit she's disputing that she was allowed to) I don't think they are going to come after you for theft. Most people don't write / text / email / phone motorbike thieves.
  • LuckyEddy56
    Options
    Actually, 2 years ago, I offered her £1500 for it if I could pay it off £200 a month but she said no. I also offered (for free), to have the bike repaired for her and to sell it for her on Ebay just to help her out but she said no to that too? Then 2 years on, I bumped into her again and she said she had been hoping to see me around and that they want rid of the bike and were thinking of scrapping it and would accept any offer!
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's a Suzuki 1250 bandit that had been sitting on two flat tyres with a rusty chain and rusty brake disks and without being started for years. It also has a damaged petrol tank and a broken front fairing. I offered her £300 not knowing how much it would cost to get back on the road. In good condition and with an MOT, they fetch between 2-3k on Ebay

So you paid 1/10th of its true value.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport