The truth about "Smart Meters"

2»

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    My 4 bed rural semi uses about £1700 a year for gas (LPG) and electric.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Since when did smart meters work on lpg oil etc >>
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Since when did smart meters work on lpg oil etc >>

A lot of LPG and oil tanks have telemetry meters which 'phone home' automatically to report the tank level and request a top-up when required.

They don't usually have in-home displays, but the data is available in 'your readings' on the supplier's website.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 1:59PM
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Now that it's been pointed out, will they amend their advert, or will someone or several someones complain to ASA about misleading adverts?

Response from ASA to my complaint :

[FONT=&quot]"You may be interested to know, we have received several complaints about similar savings claims made in ads for this campaign. As we are already investigating ads that are making similar claims and any findings would apply to the whole campaign, we don't intend to investigate your complaint at this time. However, the outcome will be published on our website.[/FONT]"

I don't hold out much hope for sucess - check https://www.asa.org.uk/news/2016-s-most-complained-about-ads.html and see how many of the top 10 complained about adverts (2016) were upheld - ZERO !!
    And - anyway, by the time ASA bare their gums - "SmartEnergy GB" will have stopped the present ad and will be running a new, misleading and totally incorrect one !
  • I can't get my head round how a Smart Meter will reduce my energy usage. I don't leave the TV/router/PC etc., on standby. I have a routine to save the electric kettle wasting energy (only boil what I need and put any excess in a vacuum flask) . My main lighting is LED.
    If I suspected the accuracy of my existing meter I could check it using, say, a 3kW heater for an hour, a meter reading before and after would show if it's way out. For a more accurate test I would use a Watt-meter.
    I can't understand how a smart meter would benefit me.
    Best
    Brian:question:
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Pronto22 wrote: »
    I can't get my head round how a Smart Meter will reduce my energy usage. ...

Nudge economics.

Provides real time info. Householder goes oh my god, how much, and switches off the fan heater. Or whatever.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 1:56PM
    Pronto22 wrote: »
    I can't get my head round how a Smart Meter will reduce my energy usage. I don't leave the TV/router/PC etc., on standby. I have a routine to save the electric kettle wasting energy (only boil what I need and put any excess in a vacuum flask) . My main lighting is LED.
    If I suspected the accuracy of my existing meter I could check it using, say, a 3kW heater for an hour, a meter reading before and after would show if it's way out. For a more accurate test I would use a Watt-meter.
    I can't understand how a smart meter would benefit me.
    Best
    Brian:question:

They work using magic fairy dust (they clearly generate their own power) - The increased profits from preventing the millions who refuse them, from using the cheapest tarrifs - they also provide employment for fitters and most importantly don't forget the potentially massive profits to shareholders of the companies
    Oh.... you said YOU .... nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport