PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Need some help with new rental

I've just signed a lease on a rental bungalow adjacent to the landlords house. There are 2 bungalows with side doors in the walkway between them and the LLs house, it leads to their garden also but they have blocked that off with plant pots and a shed. The walkway itself is behind a locked gate, and it's requested that it remains locked at all times.

Now, my problem is that I have no mailbox on my front door (not that the mailman could access it anyway) and the LL said no to me hanging an external mailbox on the gate.

I spoke with the young lady who's renting the other bungalow and she said she was unhappy with the situation, but was too shy to bring it up to LL and has her mail delivered to her parents instead - which is something I can't do. I even suggested that I was happy to move the gate to the end of the walkway, blocking off access to the LL's garden, but giving the postman access to both the front doors on the bungalow, but they still said no.

Short of getting a PO Box, do I have any other options here? I feel the landlord is being unfair seeing as they don't use that walkway at all, i've offered to do the suggestions out of my own pocket, and they have 4 other ways into their garden. I know it's my fault for not noticing it before I signed the lease but it feels silly paying rent/bills/council tax and not having something as basic as my own mailbox.

Thanks

Comments

• RubyHouse
    RubyHouse Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Is he crazy?

I would ask, politley, how he suggests you receive your mail to your address.

Alternatively, Maybe you should send all your correspondence to his address as he has the luxury of a letterbox. Order loads of cheap, large items from ebay and get them delivered to his address, I am sure he will soon change his mind.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2018 at 10:08AM
    can you clarify relationship of the walkway, the 2 rented bungalows, the LLs property and the LL's garden?

In particular it seems like the LL himself does not use the walkway if it is 'blocked off'.

In that case, if just the 2 bungalows use it, just leave the gate unlocked. The postman can then get to your door where, I assume, there is a letterbox?

Ignore the LL's demand to lock the gate.

the alternative is to simply put up a box for letters. Investigate carefully and choose one that will not cause damage when fixing. Maybe free-standing even? Again, ignore the LL & just do it.

Either way, catch the postie and have a friendly chat so he knows where you want the letters.

The real problem here (quite common) is that the LL is a neighbour, so has oversight (and comment) on every little thing you do. Not comfortable........

(out of interest, what do visitors do? Are there 2 bells by the gate for visitors to the bungalows?)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You could arrange to collect it from a local post office.

Would it be possible to have an American style lockable one somewhere that wouldn't actually affect the structure? Post in garden? These are some google results: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=freestanding+letter+box+garden&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF2baJkIrcAhVlKsAKHYU6BwIQ_AUICigB&biw=1290&bih=920#spd=0

and

this company http://www.lettasafe.co.uk/s/14/free-standing-letterboxes/section.php
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Icarus01
    Icarus01 Posts: 46 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    can you clarify relationship of the walkway, the 2 rented bungalows, the LLs property and the LL's garden?

In particular it seems like the LL himself does not use the walkway if it is 'blocked off'.

In that case, if just the 2 bungalows use it, just leave the gate unlocked. The postman can then get to your door where, I assume, there is a letterbox?

Ignore the LL's demand to lock the gate.

the alternative is to simply put up a box for letters. Investigate carefully and choose one that will not cause damage when fixing. Maybe free-standing even? Again, ignore the LL & just do it.

Either way, catch the postie and have a friendly chat so he knows where you want the letters.

The real problem here (quite common) is that the LL is a neighbour, so has oversight (and comment) on every little thing you do. Not comfortable........

(out of interest, what do visitors do? Are there 2 bells by the gate for visitors to the bungalows?)

Sure,

The landlords property is a large detached house. On one side they have a detached double garage that has access to the rear garden from both sides, they also have various gates around the side and rear of their house.

The bungalows are on the other side with a 3ft walkway between them and the landlords house. They have no doors or windows on their side in the walkway, and the entrance to their garden is blocked off with plant pots / shed.

I do not have a mailbox but it would be easy to hang one up next to the door. I've only had a couple visitors so far and they've just rung when they're outside.

It's a little frustrating that they said no to moving the gate, especially as it's only there to stop people getting into their garden.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    hazyjo wrote: »
    You could arrange to collect it from a local post office.

Would it be possible to have an American style lockable one somewhere that wouldn't actually affect the structure? Post in garden? These are some google results: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=freestanding+letter+box+garden&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF2baJkIrcAhVlKsAKHYU6BwIQ_AUICigB&biw=1290&bih=920#spd=0

and

this company http://www.lettasafe.co.uk/s/14/free-standing-letterboxes/section.php

I was going to suggest one of these (or smaller)
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It sounds rather as if the LL has built two bungalows on what was part of his garden and now wants to have his cake and eat it. Do you have access to any form of garden, OP?

How would emergency service personnel access or enter your property if no-one can get to your front door? Or have I misunderstood the situation? It is not very clear atm at least, to me.
  • Icarus01
    Smodlet wrote: »
    It sounds rather as if the LL has built two bungalows on what was part of his garden and now wants to have his cake and eat it. Do you have access to any form of garden, OP?

How would emergency service personnel access or enter your property if no-one can get to your front door? Or have I misunderstood the situation? It is not very clear atm at least, to me.

No access to any garden.

I guess they'd have to get the gate key from the LL or knock on the window of the other bungalow?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 July 2018 at 4:01PM
    OK, what if no-one was in at the LL's house to unlock the gate and you were having a heart attack or were trapped in a burning kitchen? I think you need to address these eventualities with the LL as he is putting you and the other tenant at risk.

Had he made clear on the planning application for these bungalows that emergency access would not be possible, I doubt he would have been allowed to build them. I know of an instance where permission was refused because the drive between two properties was not wide enough to allow access to the proposed house in the applicant's back garden. Might be time to involve the council, depending on how badly you want to remain in your current property.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why did you agree to rent this property?
  • Icarus01
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Why did you agree to rent this property?

I said I didn't notice it until after I signed the lease, nothing else is wrong with the property..

Anyway, i've bolted an external letterbox to the gate with my number and also a wireless doorbell ringer so I know when people are waiting for me. Will see what the LL does.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure