MSE News: New TSB blunder as customers receive apology letters addressed to others

TSB customers have been accidentally sent letters with other customers' names and addresses, MoneySavingExpert can reveal, in the bank's latest blunder since its massive IT meltdown...
Read the full story:
'New TSB blunder as customers receive apology letters addressed to others'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,818
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    One of the letters I was sent had only my Surname and Postcode. Another only had the Street and Town on it. No Name or Postcode!

Standard complaint letter / holding reply. As far as I am aware they were both for me.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Not had any letters about the complaint I submitted, so now wondering does someone else have my letter.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Since from what I read on the web the entire IT transfer disaster was handled by Sabadell in Spain, should instead everyone be moaning at cr*p and useless Sabadell?

It seems that the entire migration project was run in/from Spain with the UK CEO of the TSB subsidiary being told what was going to happen and then told that everything was migrated OK before he went on the media to say so - when clearly it was not.
    CEO's and "directors" boards of wholly owned subsidaries are more akin to general managers than their title suggests since in practice they do exactly as the remote head office tells them to do.
    It seems blaming TSB UK Ltd for the mess rather misses the chief culprit - though I'm sure it suits the head office quite nicely to have to whole blame heaped on TSB UK rather than have its name in the gutters.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I did the migration from C&G live branch systems on to Lloyds ... it went 100% smoothly.

I bet whoever did this c0ck up'd get the job over me because "they have a degree" :)
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I am surprised it is taking this long to completely fix everything especially as IBM are involved

lots of bad things are said about IBM but one thing is certain they have some excellent people in their banking sector who should have been able to get to the bottom of this in a reasonable time

the fact they haven't implies it was a lot worse than we thought
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    18cc wrote: »
    but one thing is certain they have some excellent people in their banking sector who should have been able to get to the bottom of this in a reasonable time
    You really need to provide some evidence of this. Even if it ever was true, it's unlikely to be the case following the repeated redundancy rounds at IBM.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,902
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The rather mealy mouthed TSB response was:
    "We are aware that there has been an issue with a recent acknowledgement mailing.
    We are working with our third party supplier to understand the root cause of the error and we'd like to apologise to anyone that may be impacted."

Just wondering how the use of a " third party supplier" holding sensitive personal data fits with GDPR. I'm presuming it's covered by explicit consent. However GDPR does provide that
    "Consent must be informed
    The data subject must understand what they have consented to
    It must be clear who the data controller is and also who third parties are if they will be relying on the consent"

I don't recall TSB telling me (the data subject), about my personal data being passed to a third party. Probably covered in the small print though.

Anyone who knows more about GDPR than me (not difficult) and has a view on this?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Surely TSB have not made yet another error; this time with GDPR
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,783
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    18cc wrote: »
    I am surprised it is taking this long to completely fix everything especially as IBM are involved

lots of bad things are said about IBM but one thing is certain they have some excellent people in their banking sector who should have been able to get to the bottom of this in a reasonable time

the fact they haven't implies it was a lot worse than we thought

But trying to understand a system developed and mucked up by someone else is not easy. iBM have no knowledge of what Sabadel did or did not do. It's like trying to understand some else's accounting when you don't know anything about it.

It is easier to start afresh than pick somebody else's system apart.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Just wondering how the use of a " third party supplier" holding sensitive personal data fits with GDPR. I'm presuming it's covered by explicit consent. However GDPR does provide that
    "Consent must be informed
    The data subject must understand what they have consented to
    It must be clear who the data controller is and also who third parties are if they will be relying on the consent"
    I don't recall TSB telling me (the data subject), about my personal data being passed to a third party. Probably covered in the small print though.

Well pretty well any large organsiation relies on sub-contracted 3rd party professional communication organisations to send out stuff by post or by email - whether that is banks and other financial groups, utilities large retialers like Tesco's/Sainsbury's and probably even councils and charities....and the rest.
    None of these businesses actually have employed people sending out stuff - so I'd hazard a guess that its is all fully compliant with the dogs dinner that is GDPR.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure