PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    mardatha wrote: »
    Serial killer!
    :p Too right!!

But the barstewards are like zombies, ya keeps killing them and they keeps comin' right back atcha.

At least I can take comfort that, back in the dinosaur era, horsetails were the size of large trees, not the small things you get now.

I have horsetails on the allotment and they've even followed me around Europe on my holibobs. There I was, ambling down a track in Tuscany, and they were growing in the ditch. Stopped for a packed luncheon on the saddle of a mountain, somewhere in the Sloevenian Alps and, what should I see in a bit of soggy ground?

Yup - horsetails!

I shall holiday in the Sahara next time, that'll fox 'em.

Just having a quick cuppa, have cooked, eaten and washed up a meal, made a flask, ironed some things from the washload I did before w*rk and am then pedalling off to cause fear and loathing in the green hell.

I may, if I feel particularly vicious, take a few swings at that bramble with the old mattock.;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Hiya, the dehydrating book and the Marika Hanbury Tenison book have found new homes, the others are still up for grabs!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GQueen - Horsetail (we call it marestail here oddly) is a plague on our allotments BUT a handful of it scours grotty allotment plates and mugs very effectively. Maybe we could market it as a ‘ natural, organic pan scourer and make a fortune :rotfl:
  • GreyQueen
    Cappella wrote: »
    GQueen - Horsetail (we call it marestail here oddly) is a plague on our allotments BUT a handful of it scours grotty allotment plates and mugs very effectively. Maybe we could market it as a ‘ natural, organic pan scourer and make a fortune :rotfl:
    :j:j I'm rich, I tell you, rich.

Not only am I a Zim-buck billionairess, but I have a lot of horsetails.

They were used as pot scourers back in olden times. I prefer my stainless steel scrubbie for use at home, but I guess they could be useful if camping. I don't think they should be circulated in an open enviroment, they'd end up carpetting the country from one side to another. We'd have to hide behind the M25 to be safe from their ferny clutches.

:p On the eat-the-frog principle, I dug up that barstewarding bramble. Took me about 20 minutes and it wasn't even that big but, like an iceberg, there was a lot of it below the surface. I won't have got it all, so I'll be keeping an eye on that bit and going after it again when it starts re-growing.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Tesco petrol stations are selling a 9 LED, Ultra Violet torch, for less than a fiver.

Useful for checking banknotes, Driving Licences etc., for forgeries.

Also handy for viewing UV pen markings on valuables.

Naturally I've bought one :) , and I'm well impressed with how bright it is. :cool:

Oh, and it also makes my Vaseline Glass bowl glow like crazy. :cool:
  • Books posted this morning via snail mail! will be with you both in a while!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Tesco petrol stations are selling a 9 LED, Ultra Violet torch, for less than a fiver.

Useful for checking banknotes, Driving Licences etc., for forgeries.

Also handy for viewing UV pen markings on valuables.

Naturally I've bought one :) , and I'm well impressed with how bright it is. :cool:

Oh, and it also makes my Vaseline Glass bowl glow like crazy. :cool:
    I've eyed those up on ebay several times - I don't think I have a Tesco petrol station nearby, but I'll watch out for it :) thanks Bob.
    Books posted this morning via snail mail! will be with you both in a while!
    Thanks Mrs LW :)

My two sets of garden work went well, though I was really, really tired by late afternoon. Makes sense, really, as its proper navvying, but there was a lot that I therefore left undone in the house, which is already untidy enough :o Somewhat caught up this morning, but not really :cool:

I'm reading Snow, by Ryan Clifford atm - the second book, Thaw, was free, and this one was a whole 99p (oh, it still is. My swagbux vouchers paid for it) wondered if anyone else had read it? I haven't finished yet, so no spoilers! But the format is good - lots of individual stories building up, and some of them merging, I can tell who's who, and its well written, amazingly so, except that the guy uses an awful lot of exclamation marks. One at a time, true, but far, far too many. It seems to be his only fault, so I'll forgive that :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 May 2018 at 8:20PM
    Thank you MrsLW :)

Karmacat - I!!!8217;ve downloaded Snow but haven!!!8217;t started it yet, we must have had the same free book offers!
  • GreyQueen
    :) Overheard an interesting comment from an acquaintance of my pal with the juntique shop; that there seem to a be lot of tatty foisty £20 notes suddenly around on the scene (he's a general dealer).

Suspicion is, that the Banque d'Mattresss et de Moquette is giving up some of its sequested holdings of rag-paper money ahead of the 2020 introduction of polymer notes.

Anyone else noticed this?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cappella wrote: »
    Karmacat - I've downloaded Snow but haven!!!8217;t started it yet, we must have had the same free book offers!
    Oh thats good! I get a daily email from kindofbook - it's very rare that I pay for a book, maybe 3 times in 3 years (the others were Deliciously Ella and the Thomasina Miers (sp?) Mexican book. All 99p!).

GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Overheard an interesting comment from an acquaintance of my pal with the juntique shop; that there seem to a be lot of tatty foisty £20 notes suddenly around on the scene (he's a general dealer).

Suspicion is, that the Banque d'Mattresss et de Moquette is giving up some of its sequested holdings of rag-paper money ahead of the 2020 introduction of polymer notes.

Anyone else noticed this?
    I very rarely get £20 notes - literally only when I withdraw from an ATM, which is about 3 times a year. The rest of the time, I use a credit card or a debit card - cash is for bus fares, or sharing a cafe bill with my sister.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport