New Nat West switch incentive

Options

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes agree with the above I have heard but not sure if it's true that if you apply for a new account then they will only take notice of credit checks if you are applying for credit EG an overdraft

so you may have better luck if you apply for an account but don't want an overdraft no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong

HSBC and First Direct are definitely very picky and can reject you even if you have got an excellent credit rating0
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HSBC-FIRST DIRECT-M&S these accounts should come with an MSE warning, it may harm your'e credit report if you fail to divulge that you don't have blue hair, can stand on one leg whilst juggling 17 pink balls and singing the national anthem, i think that covers their criteria.
  • JMLONDON_2
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.
    It's interesting, although I feel better now in the sense of that First Direct, is a bit picky so it's not maybe a big problem for me although didnt know Marks and Sparks are part of the same group so may avoid them aswell.Might try this Natwest one though!

Cheers
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2018 at 8:47PM
    Options
    stehouk wrote: »
    HSBC-FIRST DIRECT-M&S these accounts should come with an MSE warning, it may harm your'e credit report if you fail to divulge that you don't have blue hair, can stand on one leg whilst juggling 17 pink balls and singing the national anthem, i think that covers their criteria.

Sour grapes, perchance?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74130957#13
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stehouk wrote: »
    I don't know what all the fuss was about, i switched O/H on the last one, couldn't have been easier, paid in £1500 and gradually drained the account using it as my daily spend, got the payout on time, could not fault it, took 5mins last night all confirmed on line.:beer:

Well, think that you were in the minority- my experience was very different and I certainly earned that £125!! but of course, it was 'free' money. Anyway that account is moving on to pastures new before the end of the month.........
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 May 2018 at 9:24PM
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Well, think that you were in the minority- my experience was very different and I certainly earned that £125!! but of course, it was 'free' money. Anyway that account is moving on to pastures new before the end of the month.........

I don't think any of us are in a position to state which experience - good or bad - was the minority.

My NatWest incentive paid out exactly as they said it should. The easiest £125 ever. A lot of people here said theirs didn't .

But experiences reported on this forum cannot be considered statistically valid - all we know is some went wrong, and some went right.

Generally (so they say, but this isn't stats either!) people tend to report problems more than successes.

Edited to add: I notice that,so far, I'm the only one thanking the OP - their thread is a good one, surely they deserve a few more thanks!
  • stehouk
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »

yep, been refused the m&s credit card as well so i'm thinking its more a hsbc problem, but without knowing their special criteria i think i will have to give this group a wide berth in future and not waste my time trying to make money from them.
  • hangonthebox
    hangonthebox Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up on this.

I am not a 'serial switcher' like many on here, I have no desire to spend half my life messing round with direct debits to get a few quid a month from Co-Op or whoever, plus I'm happy with the 1.5% interest and excellent service I get from Yorkshire Bank, my main current account provider, but this seems like an easy offer with few hoops to jump through so I'm going for it,

Luckily, I'm pretty poor at closing bank accounts so as well as my Yorkshire Bank account and my Monzo/Starling accounts I have three (what would these days be called 'basic') accounts with Lloyds, Bank of Scotland and TSB. I'll probably use the BoS account to switch with.
  • stehouk
    Options
    Its not for everyone but there are some on here who have earned thousands through switching, stoozing, etc i cant speak for everyone on here but i suspect that like me they don't actually need the money, its the chase, its a game even a habit, don't be short sighted and looking it as one switch think of it as just the start......good luck
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    I don't think any of us are in a position to state which experience - good or bad - was the minority.
    But experiences reported on this forum cannot be considered statistically valid - all we know is some went wrong, and some went right.

Generally (so they say, but this isn't stats either!) people tend to report problems more than successes.
    Of course you are right- maybe the majority of people had no trouble switching to Natwest.
    I got my £125 but had plenty of problems in the lead up to the switch and opening the account but some folk reported theirs was incident free.

I have to say I don't only give brickbats! I'm switching now to Barclays and they deserve a bouquet and I have said how impressed I have been (both on here and in branch). My debit card arrived in about 36 hours.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure