Cash AUD to EUR/GBP best solution?

I have 6000 AUD in Cash, I want to get this to EUR or GBP cash or into card/bank. I have bank accounts in Europe in EUR & GBP, Halifax clarity.

Right now I'm in Australia :T, will later be in Indonesia/Singapore, Cyprus & UK, what's the best solution?

I thought about trying to get this onto my Revolut, but here in Auz I don't have a bank account (nor do I believe can I have one on a tourist visa). Then I thought about loading the cash onto another prepaid travel card, but apparently Revolut may or may not accept the card - which seems risky, without knowing a specific card that works.

Any advice? :D:D

Cheers much appreciated, Dale.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Revolut and other cards cannot be loaded by cash payment. Nor TransferWise.

You will need to exchange it to GBP or EUR in Australia at the best rate you can find, probably better than in UK.

In S'pore if you have time to shop around you might find a money changer with some Scottish or old series bills that you can buy cheaper than current English, which of course have full value for banking in UK.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    eDicky wrote: »
    Revolut and other cards cannot be loaded by cash payment. Nor TransferWise.

TransferWise borderless accounts appear to use National Australia Bank for their AUD accounts. Wouldn't it be possible to turn up to a branch of NAB with the cash and your account details?
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It may be possible to open an Australian Bank account.

https://www.freedomsurfer.com/australian-bank-account/
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Don't bother with bank accounts, just change them in Singapore, you'll get rates close to or better than Transferwise would give you at the same time.

The Scottish notes trick mentioned is also a good idea, you should also ask some paper £10s, torn notes and if you want to be enterprising, you can get £1, £2, €1 and €2 coins for cheaper too. Smaller coins are not worth it unless they are going for half price, i.e. pay 25p (i.e. 45 Australian cents) for a 50p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure