Pre-existing medical conditions

I'm trying to find the best deal on travel insurance and just can't get my head around pre-existing conditions. I realise its things I've had advice for, symptoms of or treatment for but how far back do you have to go ?. For example do stomach pains 5 years ago where nothing was found have to be declared ? or indeed back pains last week that included a visit to the GP but just went away ?.
It seems to me that unless you provide your entire medical history (impossible to do), the insurer will find some way to wriggle out.

Comments

• Jan1975
    Jan1975 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Pre existing conditions tend to be conditions you are diagnosed with. Not trips to the GP with minor ailments. For example I have occasional sinusitis but it!!!8217;s not a pre existing medical condition. As long as I haven!!!8217;t been to GP within 3 months prior to travel with sinus issues I!!!8217;m covered.

If you do have pre existing conditions like high BP, heart surgery, stroke etc then have a look at insurancewith.com

My mum is now super fit and healthy following a double heart bypass and then a stent 4 months later. Her annual insurance with them is under £150 for the year in EU countries (but doesn!!!8217;t include cancellation of her holiday due to Heart issues - but the most she will ever lose is her flights because she is normally with us in a villa)
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm trying to find the best deal on travel insurance and just can't get my head around pre-existing conditions. I realise its things I've had advice for, symptoms of or treatment for but how far back do you have to go ?

As far back as the insurers request.
    There will be something written into the medical declaration similar to this:
    Have, in the last two years, suffered from any medical or psychological conditions and for which they've received treatment, been prescribed medication, or attended any consultations, investigations, or check-ups.
    so with that particular insurer, you have to tell them about any trips to the doctor or hospital over the past two years even if nothing was prescribed or no other treatment given,

With insurers it's also best to err on the side of caution and give too much information rather than too little.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I’ve recently renewed my annual travel insurance. It was necessary to complete a new statement of health so I declared a couple of issues I had over the last year. The next question that popped up wanted to know if treatment ongoing. The answer was no so it made no difference to the premium but I was upfront about my history.
  • macdrew
    macdrew Posts: 17 Forumite
    I have just taken out 12 months insurance for travel in Europe with Get Going. I have diabetes, had heart bypass etc .

The questionnaire on the insurer's web site was very comprehensive and very easy to fill in. I got (and accepted) a quote for less than £80.A full policy with £200 excess.

I did have a policy called EHICplus. This covered everything except hospital treatment, for which they expected you to use EHIC card.
    This year the cost of this was £78 hence me changing.
  • Buggins
    Buggins Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi...I have recently used Get Going and found them very helpful and a reasonable price for annual insurance. So nice these days!:j
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My insurer is Makesure. Cost of annual worldwide policy (ex USA) £225. This is for a couple and my DH has a history of heart problems so we were happy with the cost. We are both late 60s.
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Have a look at this thread
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5220774

Lots of advice on pre-existing insurance
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've just got a single family policy today with a number of medical pre-conditions. Online quotes via moneysupermarket.com and the questions couldn't have been easier to answer correctly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure