IF YOU ARE SKINT
    ask yourself;
    Do I need it?
    Can I afford it?

IF YOU ARE NOT SKINT
    ask yourself;
    Will I use it?
    Is it worth it?

I've been using this simple wee mantra to help keep tabs on spending (so far it's worked too ;) )
    I also believe there is a link between depression and spending / debt...

There is definitely a link between depression and spending: I found that receiving parcels from Amazon, Boohoo and wherever else really cheered up my mood but then it would be gone within hours. I'm also a glutton for punishment with unnecessary spends at places like B&M and the Aldi middle aisle! It was definitely my depression that plunged me into debt, and I would prioritise a new t-shirt over petrol and all sorts.

Happy shiny new diary efes shareholder. Looking forward to reading!
  • efes_shareholder
    efes_shareholder Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you FTB now

I think there is a link , its an addiction I guess , you chase what makes you feel good.
    I have never been a shopoholic or had top brands etc however I would like to see events on the calender and if I saw a great holiday deal it would be hard to stop myself making it happen

I am a great believer that we only leave this life with memories so we should live a life to remember however spending time with people etc does not have to cost money - I HAVE TO TEACH MYSELF THIS
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    Today I have had to top the car up with petrol - I was hoping I would last out until the end of the week but sadly no !
    I have worked out that this is one of my biggest costs however I don't seem to be able to get away with less then £40 a week , I can drive efficiently but the stop / start of my commute is not sympathetic to this
    It would be nice to car share however no one in my area does the same hours as me.
    I have also decided having scrutinised my bank statements that the smoking needs to go ! I gave up for 12 years and the worse thing i ever did was think I could have a couple to see me through a hard patch and not become addicted again
    I have tried and failed over the last few years , however never manage more then a few weeks
    Its more difficult now as my mum is a chain smoker in the house so where you try to avoid the smells and not put yourself in the path of temptation , it makes it even more difficult
    I'd welcome any suggestions x
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    So today work is slow so I am popping my head in here and catching up on the diaries
    unexpected expense later of a car clean - I parked under a tree in the sun and it rained overnight , My passenger side is now covered in a sticky residue , Like i have driven through a puddle of lemonade
    I was anticipating a car wash soon , There is no facility for me to do this at home however the local roll in roll out is very good value and do a much better job than I can.

I don't feel great , Ladies problems and a bit of a congested headache ( I tend to suffer with these ) so I am currently cheering myself up by researching the holiday destinations on my bucket list to visit before I hit 50 !
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    my first step this month is to pay my car insurance up front , I can get this for £280 per year as opposed to £41.25 a month in doing so and that £40 odd then go towards making additional payments to my credit card

Hiya and welcome. Just wanted to say - great idea, but don't forget to save up for next year's payment in full - otherwise you will be no better off in the long run....if you put aside £25 a month for future annual payment, then that will leave you a balance of £15 or so to put against the debt.
    I do have a small emergency fund now and i am thinking that it may be better put to the VERY account since a portion of that is at 39.9% apr

It's definitely worth working out how much interest you are being charged to decide the best approach - did you say you have £5K in an esavers account? It may make more sense to pay off the high apr debts, and then set a repayment into your esaver - as you will save £££ in interest.
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    Yes I am waiting for my account details to move the 5k in to prem bonds but i did this week pay the items on the very acccount which were at 39.9% as it makes sense

The plan is continue to put £100 a month in to bonds and the also keep a floating find in esavers - I am not sure if this will be acheivable until maybe August however as I have a very hetic summer commitments

I hate to think how i would have financed those without the small windfall
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been no different in my "shameful" past - the main thing is we are here now and are trying to be better!!

Great that you have paid off the Very - must be VERY satisfying!
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    im undecided on the insurance - I want to get rid of my direct debits however I am on holiday in June and its going to be a tight month just as the renewal on the insurance is due
    Hastings Direct will give me a great price and its an extra £20.00 if I spread it which would help particulary this month however it does contradict what i am trying to achieve
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    ramblehan wrote: »
    I've been no different in my "shameful" past - the main thing is we are here now and are trying to be better!!

Great that you have paid off the Very - must be VERY satisfying!

VERY !

I have a small balance of items on BNPL which I can cover monthly before the 0% expires in December

Its false economy to use it for anything else even though they do do some good sale offers
  • efes_shareholder
    efes_shareholder Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good Morning MSE'ers and "Happy" Monday

I was hoping to keep my spending down this weekend , It was kind of successful !
    Socially its been quiet however Saturday I took my car for a clean as it had been covered in SAP from trees from the heat and storm that follows , so much so the mechanism of the window wouldn't operate - I like to do this monthly as the car is white and it gets dirty easy and I think its important to keep your car as nice as you can. If I look after it , hopefully it will look after me ! £15.00 for a full going over

Whilst the car was being cleaned I walked to the vape shop - its something i have tried before but on a budget end and seems to work for so many people who are trying to ditch the weed however they seem to have a decent vape and not one of those pencil cheapies , so i went in , took some advice and purchase a vape which i can operate easy and a few pots of liquid.
    This set me back £35.00 but that is the price of four packets of cigs ( 5 days worth ) and as long as i stay focused will pay for itself over time - Friends of mine have said it is the initial kit lay out that cost the money
    I have been using it for 2 days and it takes some getting to grips with but I am optomistic it will help me shift this dreadful habit.

I then had a sunbed which I need to keep my eczema at bay , it really does stop the itching and the general angry redness in my face. 10 minutes came in at £6 but its important i do this at least once a week

Yesterday I took my young relative to the football - last day of the season and something he loves to do , it also makes me happy to see him enjoying something that i have a passion for myself. He is free on the train and I don't pay for his ticket , but a little lunch stop pre match and again after was around the £30 mark
    Still we don't go often and we can't again until August and it was a great game so it was worth it

I need to pull the strings in though until payday - I have a trip to see my Son at uni next week for an event that he is involved in , I could do without another tank of petrol this month however he really wants me to go and i will feel like a bad parent if I don't
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback