IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

APCOA new car parking system PCN

Options
I guess new is a bit relative, it seems the car park changed the system on 11th Sept 2017 (found info by googling the car park).

The old system was get a token at barrier on entry, pay at barrier on exit.

The new system is:
The new system will mean that you will no longer receive a token on entry to the car park, but instead the new system will capture your vehicles number plate automatically as you enter. At the end of your visit, you can either pay via the APCOA Connect App or alternatively at one of the pay stations in the car park. You will be able to pay either by credit, debit or contactless card OR by coins. Please note: you will not be able to use notes and you will not receive change.

The driver wasn't aware of this, the last time the driver used this car park it issued a token.
As, once you are going into this car park there is no way to not go into it, the driver parked.
After staying for 26 minutes thre driver left the car park expecting to see the barrier down and a means to pay, there wasn't one, similar to before, once you start to exit there is no option but to exit.

The information about the change to parking on the web site at the moment states:
There will be no changes to car park tariffs also opening and closing times will remain the same. Staff from APCOA will be onsite to aid any shoppers who may need assistance with the new car parking system.

It seems they didn't have any staff at the point you actually used to pay before they changed the system, the point I would assume is most relavant.

On reading the PCN it says it can be paid by cheque or postal order, by phone call or online.
To appeal it says it has to be by post to a PO box number.

APCOA have a page titled
View the evidence, pay or challenge my Parking Charge Notice (PCN/ECN)

Can we use this to appeal or does it have to be by post, and if we can why does it not mention it on the NtK?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can we use this to appeal or does it have to be by post
    challenge my Parking Charge Notice

Challenge = Appeal
    and if we can why does it not mention it on the NtK?
    Why would we know? Have you asked APCOA?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,039 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The days of cuddly fluffy friendly car parks have long since disappeared, you now have to have all your wits about you and be prepared to deal with trip ups and scammers when you get it wrong.

However didn't the lack of barriers, and token dispensers etc give you a big hint since your last visit?

Your description of entering the car park is like hundreds and hundreds of similar ones nothing very special, and very few offer payment on exit these days.

You will now have a lot of work to do to try to get around your lack of observation, start with the newbies thread at the head of this forum, and you will have to follow their appeals process how they tell you to, but it's only APCOA!
  • Ibcus
    Ibcus Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Why would we know? Have you asked APCOA?

I was wondering if it was common practice not to mention an online appeal to put people off appealing.

The reason I asked if we could do it online is because I'm sure I read on one of the hundreds of posts I have read that you have to appeal the way it says to on the NtK, I may have got details mixed up though so thought I would check.

The wording on the reverse of the NtK is not very good at all to be honest.
    In the first paragraph it says to pay the full amount noted above but only mentions an amount in the third paragraph (no mention of an amount to pay on the front)
    fisherjim wrote: »
    However didn't the lack of barriers, and token dispensers etc give you a big hint since your last visit?

Your description of entering the car park is like hundreds and hundreds of similar ones nothing very special, and very few offer payment on exit these days.

I wasn't driving or in the car, I can only go off what the driver has told me.
    I can only assume the driver thought the barrier was out of order, they told me the barrier was up and not missing.
    I haven't used this car park at all so have no idea, although I may go to it to take some photos when I finish work tonight.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If there is no online appeal method than you will have to send it by post. Do this from a Post Office counter, send it first class, and obtain a free proof of posting. Do NOT use any other method of posting.

Just print and post the template from the NEWBIES. If/when it's rejected, then you will need up on how to win at PoPLA.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Ibcus
    Options
    There is an online appeal method on their website, it's just that they don't mention it on the letter they sent
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    use the ONLINE method if available, but ensure you check carefully that it does not name the driver, so avoid any tick boxes or options etc where the driver is being coerced into appealing as driver , they will try to trick you on this

choose any and all options that keep it as a non-driver appeal, if in any doubt , use the postal method described above instead (so NOT signed for and not special delivery either)

DO NOT ALTER OR AMEND THE TEMPLATE
  • Ibcus
    Options
    Thanks, I noticed the drop downs about if you was the driver/keeper while apealing a HX PCN.

Going to submit now
  • Ibcus
    Options
    The website asks this:

Click on the reason for your challenge

• My vehicle was stolen
    • The contravention did not occur
    • The amount specified on the notice is incorrect
    • I was not the Registered Keeper/Driver at the time of the contravention
    • Mitigating circumstances prevented me from parking correctly
    • Other
    I'm thinking I should pick:
    I was not the Registered Keeper/Driver at the time of the contravention
    ??
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    Options
    Tick 'Other'.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Ibcus
    Options
    The appeal was rejected today by Apcoa
    Thank you for your recent letter received on 23 April 2018
    In reference to what you have referred to in your letter. we would like to take this opportunity to advise your that Apcoa
    Parking does not work under the Protection Of Freedoms Act (POFA). Apcoa Parking is regulated under the British Parking
    Association.
    For more information please visit https://www.Apcoa.co.uk
    As a goodwill gesture we have extended the 14 day period for you to make a payment at ther discount amount. If you wish to
    appeal, you must do so within 28 days of this letter.
    Yours Faithfully
    APCOA Appeals Department
    APCOA Parking
    PO Box 1010
    Uxbridge
    UB8 9NT
    That's a copy and paste direct from the pdf document sent in the email.

I thought it would be a standard copy/paste response, but with the mistakes in it I would assume/hope it has been typed by someone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure