Recommend Me A New Web Based Email

Hi

For a number of years I have been using a web based email but they have now decided that it is no longer free so I need a new one. Apart from Hotmail/Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo, which I dont want to use for various reasons, are there any others people would recommend?

I have heard gmx is ok but never heard of it so would be interested if anyone on here uses it.

Not fussed about having an app but secure, good spam filters, decent capacity/storage. Its for personal use and I'm not sending 1Tb video files or 500 emails a day so hopefully that helps.

Cheers
2023 wins - zilch, nada, big fat duck. quack quack,

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bluffer wrote: »
    Apart from Hotmail/Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo, which I dont want to use for various reasons
    If you explained these reasons then it might save people suggesting alternatives that you immediately reject because you perceive them to suffer from the same disadvantages.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    As far as GMX is concerned, I've been using it for years and find it to be excellent.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    bluffer wrote: »
    Hi

I have heard gmx is ok but never heard of it so would be interested if anyone on here uses it.

Another GMX user here. Have used it for several years without issue. Mobile app is a bit basic. SMTP and IMAP work fine to clients also.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Protonmail is awesome, you can even select how long the person can view the mail for.

https://tutanota.com/ is also quite good

both you do not have to hand over personal data like phone numbers etc.

"Gmail users have no "reasonable expectation" that their communications are confidential"
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/14/google-gmail-users-privacy-email-lawsuit
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    In the last few years I have switched my webmail allegiance from a mix of gmail and ymail to gmx. It's not completely ideal as the forwarding can be a bit unreliable, but if you want to use it as your primary mail service I think it would be fine.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Zoho Mail is a provider I've been pretty happy with.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    agrinnall wrote: »
    In the last few years I have switched my webmail allegiance from a mix of gmail and ymail to gmx. It's not completely ideal as the forwarding can be a bit unreliable, but if you want to use it as your primary mail service I think it would be fine.

Strange, I've never had any problem with forwarding.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I use GMX and never had any problems with it at all... Oh... except for multiple filter rules which didn't always seem to work quite right...

Otherwise, it's brilliant. Don't think I could be bothered to faff around with webmail when they provide IMAP and SMTP access, though.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    RumRat wrote: »
    Strange, I've never had any problem with forwarding.

It's possibly more what esuhl says, an issue with rules that I had set up to forward certain emails to my usual address, that didn't always work as expected.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There have been another couple of threads on the same subject (prompted by the demise of the Which? service in those cases) and I am one affected.

I agree with Bluffer about the 'generic' common services. I don't feel confident that they do not give rise to targeted adverts or that they do not harvest data. I would prefer to pay a bit if that increases security. Not sure if it really will, though!

As an example, I am putting this down to Gmail but could be wrong, I recently booked a flight got a confirmation to Gmail account and Google (I presume!) automatically, without asking or without me setting it up, added into my tablet's calendar. So I assume that emails are being monitored!
    If it's a setting somewhere then if you can advise how to stop it.....

That has never happened with Which? I don't feel inclined to use Gmail even more after my experience! I would guess others have similar issues!

Facebook messenger anyone.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport