• Glacier_2
    Glacier_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Do these cards work for car rental?
  • catapultaudio
    catapultaudio Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 12 November 2017 at 1:18AM
    Options
    If, like me, you have managed to screw your finances so dramatically that nobody wants to give you even the simplest of "proper" bank accounts, this is very likely the most useful app you will ever find for your smartphone.

I've tried several other "challenger" banking apps as I have discovered they are known, but Monese has been by far the best so far.

Opening an account is a little intense to be frank, and, in the UK at least, you DO require photo ID and proof of address despite the claims made in the Monese promotional material. Once you get set up however, it really couldn't be any simpler.

An important detail for me is the speed at which payments arrive, and Monese updates twice an hour at 05 and 35. In my experience you can expect to see your funds on the second update after they were sent.

Another key detail, most of these banks charge for cash machine withdrawals. Monese gives you five such transactions free of charge each month before adding a 50p fee for any subsequent withdrawals. A nice touch though, if you don't have enough money to cover the fee you will still be given the cash without charge - this might be a bug however it's been really useful for me up to now.

The card does claim to allow cash back however in my experience this is not the case and only smaller stores who know me personally will allow me this facility.

Finally, an excellent referral scheme gives you the chance to earn a decent bonus if your friends sign up to monese as well. If you could help both yourself and me by using my code [Removed] you will be gifted £5 completely free when you finish setting up your new account. I hope I have been helpful!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope I have been helpful!
    Perhaps, but you haven't mentioned that Monese charge £4.95/month when others have no fee.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    simeon.bg wrote: »
    Hello to all,

I orderd my Monese card and it came after 3 days, works great so happly I found about it by a friend. I need to instal the app and follow the instructions its easy, the fee for the card is £ 5 but you can use this code /P9C2JFGH/ when you register and the card will he free of charge.

Cheers.

Is that a general code to be used by anybody or a personal referral code which might be against board rules for posting?
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is that a general code to be used by anybody or a personal referral code which might be against board rules for posting?

Nothing baffles me more than commenting on a six month old 'dead thread' to moan about something, thus highlighting his code (which has now been removed - apart from in your quote)

Well done :T
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Perhaps, but you haven't mentioned that Monese charge £4.95/month when others have no fee.

It is also very difficult to open, at least it was for me: I installed the app and applied with a photo of my passport and a selfie video and then the app said I had to video call "an agent" but as it was a Sunday I had to wait until the next day. But then they appeared to change their mind because I received an email asking for details of my employment, photos of two pay slips and my reason for opening the account. And they already have my passport number, my mobile phone number, my email address and my U.K. home address.

Quite frankly I don't expect the above when applying for a prepaid card and I am highly suspicious about the personally identifiable information they already have and the further personally identifiable information they want to add. It comes across to me as building details of my identity. Needless to say I haven't proceeded and I will be keeping a close eye on my credit history.
  • Sunny_Missy
    Options
    Hi - I'm sorry if I will ask the same question as before, but I couldn't see any relevant answer to my question: is this Monese account useful? Is someone trying on a daily-basis or only when travelling?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi - I'm sorry if I will ask the same question as before, but I couldn't see any relevant answer to my question: is this Monese account useful? Is someone trying on a daily-basis or only when travelling?
    Monese would only be useful for someone who is unable to open any other type of account, without the fees, and certainly not useful for travel. What's your intended purpose?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Sunny_Missy
    Options
    I'm quite !!!!ed with my bank, after noticing that I'm paying too many fees on transactions...and I am looking for something cheaper, but at the same time safe...and to be able to use it...
    I'm having mix feelings about this Monese card...because some say is good, some say it isn't...on their website, of course, everything is good, I've also checked them on reviews and looks kinda' ok..but dunno..is it good for daily use?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure