PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Completion date?

We have just had an offer accepted on a new property. We are also selling our current property.

However we can't get a completion date agreed to move into our new house. The seller wants us to move into the new house sooner than the couple can move into our house, and neither seems to be able to change. It's a difference of 3 weeks!

Without us backing out and the sale falling through, is there anything else that we can do?

We can move out of our house sooner if needed as we can stay with family but it's the opposite way around. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 April 2018 at 11:02AM
    WatsonL212 wrote: »
    We have just had an offer accepted on a new property.

It sounds like it's a bit early to be trying to set a firm completion date.

At this stage there's a big risk that you'll spend lots of time arguing/agreeing on a completion date, then find that it's unachievable anyway because one or more people in the chain aren't ready.

(I assume the chain is complete!)

Edit to add...

If your buyers and your sellers are getting stressed about this, I would just back out of the discussion - and let your buyers and your sellers talk directly to each other (or perhaps via their EAs), and try to reach an agreement.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,802 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    We have just had an offer accepted on a new property. We are also selling our current property.

However we can't get a completion date agreed to move into our new house. The seller wants us to move into the new house sooner than the couple can move into our house, and neither seems to be able to change. It's a difference of 3 weeks!

Without us backing out and the sale falling through, is there anything else that we can do?

We can move out of our house sooner if needed as we can stay with family but it's the opposite way around. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Presumably you need the money from the sale of your existing property to fund the purchase of the new one ? If that's the case then there's no real way you can get round having to complete on both properties on the same day, so it's down to negotiating with both parties to find a mutually agreeable date.
  • Thank you both. Yes we need the funds from the current property to buy the new property. I am aware that you can no longer bridge so we do need to exchange on the same day.

As for the chain being complete I'm not sure what the situation is with our seller, I know he's buying another property but him and a new partner both have properties to sell. From below us the chain is complete.

The seller wants us to move in the beginning of June, we can move any time, but our buyer is saying they can't move in until about 3 weeks after that. Personally it's me that's getting stressed, I'm worried we won't be able to come to an agreement and we'll loose our dream house.

I'm waiting on the solicitor getting back to me 're the sellers date. I'm stressed and I'm worried!
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    eddddy wrote: »
    It sounds like it's a bit early to be trying to set a firm completion date...

That's what I was thinking. Completion dates at this stage are in the realms of horoscopes and tea leaves.:)
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As for the chain being complete I'm not sure what the situation is with our seller, I know he's buying another property but him and a new partner both have properties to sell.

If they need to sell both properties in order to buy...

... you have a chain with 2 tails, and you're not even sure if the top of the chain is fully formed.

You need to take a step back and not invest any time / effort /angst in this discussion.

If your solicitor is asking for your desired completion date - it's just a default question. Maybe say something like "any time after xyz"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We have just had an offer accepted on a new property. ....

However we can't get a completion date agreed
    Of course not.

There are so many factors that will affect this date that it is a waste of time to even discuss it yet.
  • Ok thank you all. I didn't realise it was too early to agree upon a date. I assumed a date had to be agreed upon before things were signed.

I'll leave it as is just now and let it be sorted in due course.

Thanks
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ok thank you all. I didn't realise it was too early to agree upon a date. I assumed a date had to be agreed upon before [STRIKE]things were signed[/STRIKE]contracts are exchanged.
    As you are nowhere near Exchanging contracts, you are equally nowhere near agreeing a Completion date.

You can consider, and advise your conveyancer, what sort of gap (if any) you prefer between Exchange and Completion eg same day? 1 week? 10 days? 1 month? More?
  • G_M wrote: »
    As you are nowhere near Exchanging contracts, you are equally nowhere near agreeing a Completion date.

You can consider, and advise your conveyancer, what sort of gap (if any) you prefer between Exchange and Completion eg same day? 1 week? 10 days? 1 month? More?

Thank you.

I didn't believe there could be a gap as we can't bridge? Ideally I would have liked a week/ a few days to do some work on the new property without two little children about but was told it wasn't possible.
  • alex_163163
    alex_163163 Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The exchange date and the completion date are two different things, but they can happen on the same day if you wish. Or they can happen on separate days.
    Exchange occurs first, and this is when the signed contracts are exchanged between the sets of solicitors and you are now legally obliged to purchase the house on the named chosen day written into the contract (completion day) But you do not own the property at this point.

The transfer of ownership of the property then occurs on the completion day. This is the day you can get the keys.

Ideally most people like a gap (2 weeks seems common) between exchange and completion so there is time to organise movers, utilities etc. However some people ask for exchange and completion to happen on the same day. This is just a bit of a risk in case of any last minute hiccups with mortgages, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure