PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Completion date?

2»

Comments

• Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,532 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary Photogenic 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You've only just had an offer accepted on a property. There is now a lot of work needed by your solicitor and all the other solicitors acting for the various parties in the chain. It's a complete waste of time even speculating about completion dates. No-one can decide a completion date before the "work" investigating the title has even got off the starting block. So, the conversation regarding when your sellers want to complete and when your buyers want to complete is irrelevant at this point.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 April 2018 at 3:12PM
    WatsonL212 wrote: »
    Thank you.

I didn't believe there could be a gap as we can't bridge? Ideally I would have liked a week/ a few days to do some work on the new property without two little children about but was told it wasn't possible.
    No. You competely misunderstand.

And I suggest you read up on how property-buying works. You are embarking on by far the biggest financal commitment of your life and need to understand it.

Don't just rely on professionals to do it all for you without understanding what they are doing.

And dont rely on haphazard queries on the internet as things occur to you.

Do some research.

Your local library will lend you books to explain the entire process, show you what decisions, and when, you'll have to take, and warn you of issues that might arise.

eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Your-First-Home-Sell/dp/0091935377

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buying-Your-First-House-2016/dp/1522929061/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3/260-7422276-2085539?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=73WXNSX53PB7EWZ0GR2Y
  • Thank you for your reply, although slightly condescending. I'll have a look at those books.
  • G_M
    WatsonL212 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, although slightly condescending. I'll have a look at those books.
    Not condescending at all. It was meant to be constructive.

We all have areas of knowledge/experience, and other areas where we lack knowledge/experience.

Ask me how to fly a plane, fix a broken-down car, or prepare sushi, and I'd need a book, or expert, to help me.

You posts suggested a fundamental gap in understanding of a topic on which you are embarking, and which can easily result in stress and/or financial loss, so I gave you a warning, together with a way forward.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Having a gap between exchange and completion isn't "bridging". It's fairly normal to have a space of time between the two. However, you don't have access to the house until completion.

Bridging is where you take out a loan to fund the purchase of a house before you have sold yours. It's generally not possible to do this any longer.

As others have said I'd focus first on getting things like surveys, searches etc done (not just yours but making sure the others in the chain are doing the same) and discuss exchange/completion dates a bit further down the line.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,519 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary Photogenic Homepage Hero 1,000 Posts
    Could I ask a question, to clarify something?

If you don't own the new property til completion day, why do you have to have insurance sorted after exchange of contracts? How can you insure a house you don't technically own?
    Under extreme high pressure, diamonds can be made from peanut butter.
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You have to insure from exchange because from that point you legally have to buy the house. Do you want to buy a pile of smoking rubble if the house burns down?
  • G_M
    Could I ask a question, to clarify something?

If you don't own the new property till completion day, why do you have to have insurance sorted after exchange of contracts? How can you insure a house you don't technically own?
    As shygirl says, Exchange of Contracts means (as the name suggests!) that both sides are legally committed. The property will be the buyer's on the Completion date, even if it's been hit by lightening in the meantime..

The contract usually used these days is the Standard Conditions of Sale version 5 which says:
    5. RISK, INSURANCE AND OCCUPATION PENDING COMPLETION
    5.1.1 The property is at the risk of the buyer from the date of the contract

5.1.2 The seller is under no obligation to the buyer to insure the property unless:

(a) the contract provides that a policy effected by or for the seller and insuring the
    property or any part of it against liability for loss or damage is to continue in force, or
    (b) the property or any part of it is let on terms under which the seller...
    etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.