Reasonable amount to pay for landline & broadband?

Options
10th Apr 18, 11:51 AM <li class="additional-post-data"> Hi, I'm with BT and pay line rental up-front at £208. This ends on 15th april. I also have basic unlimited broadband at 17mb, unlimited anytime calls and caller privacy (all for £21.50). So, yearly it will come to about £466 (c.£39 per month). I have no problems with the service but wonder if the cost is excessive. ? My b-in-law, in Shropshire, 80 miles away, gets all this , so he says, for £27 per month all in and they've just installed superfast broadband. Ive been on the phone to renegotiate a new contract but BT aren't budging on cost. Another queary is that on an online message help facility I was told that my broadband contract ends on 05/09/2018. I didn't think to question this but thought it was together with my landline and even wonder if its 9th of May or 5th of September. On my online bill , my landline & broadband is together, im sure they aren't separate. Anyway normally I wouldn't question the cost but for my b-in-law comparing his bill. If I did transfer to someone like netplus, the service may not be as good nor the swap-over seam-less! Just to add that I also tried to renegotiate on the online message facility to no avail!

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Reasonable £30 to £100 pm depending upon service .

UK 05/09 means 5th September .

If you are in contract no need for your ISP to negotiate with you as you have no bargaining power .

Landline and BB may not be in sync if you pay advanced line rental .
    Once your ALR ends you pay line rental monthly .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I also tried to renegotiate on the online message facility to no avail!
    You need to realise that there is zero point in trying to "negotiate" a lower price than you are paying while you are still in the minimum term. It's only when you are out-of-contract (and so can leave without penalty) that you may be offered a retention deal.

What your brother-in-law pays is likely to be due to his circumstances being totally different to yours.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £25 to £30 is reasonable
  • P933alilli
    P933alilli Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I may pay £18.99 line rental until September and then renegotiate!
  • newtonflotman
    Options
    For around £19 per month you can get line rental and upto 17mb broadband from many suppliers. From around £26 you should be able to get fibre and line rental. Call packages are usually £5-7 per month extra. I'm with Origin Broadband and rate them highly but some have had issues with them.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I've been with Origin for just over 18 months now.

I've just renewed for a further 18 months, paying £414 up front for line and fibre BB. Works out at £23 per month. Anytime calls are £5.99 per month extra.

The service has been very reliable and I've no complaints at all about them.
  • Fennite
    Fennite Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just signed up to Now Fibre Optic. £9.99 joining fee, £20 per month for up to 38mb speed, and line rental included. With cashback, it works out at £15 per month.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Currently paying equivalent of £16.50 ADSL not including calls.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • P933alilli
    P933alilli Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like some great deals here. I suppose you'll only find out about the service over a period of a year say? Having rang BT this morning my broadband does run up to 5th September but was told I can get a new deal 90 days prior to that in june. Presumably he means for the new contract to run from then or maybe look to another provider?
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 1:16PM
    Options
    For around £19 per month you can get line rental and upto 17mb broadband from many suppliers.

From around £26 you should be able to get fibre and line rental.

Call packages are usually £5-7 per month extra.

I agree, I was going to say about £20(17mb adsl) and £25(40mb fibre).

NowTV are doing £15 adsl, £20 fibre at the moment, this includes line rental.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure