PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Commuting - how far is too far?

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Partner does 88 mile round trip a day. It's tiring. It won't be forever because it's exhausting by the weekend
  • KatieDee
    KatieDee Posts: 709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You're right - and that is, in part, to do with disposable income/ability to buy your way out of things and to have a more comfy car.

I know somebody whose almost daily commute is 90 miles each way. 1½ hours on a day without road events, each way. 3 hours/day.

It'd drive me mad.... but then I don't have a music system in the car, nor a really comfy car/ride ... and I'm also not a higher rate tax payer like they are. When their car breaks down they get it dealt with and their local dealer provides them with a car at the drop of a hat .... because it's them.

Very true, PasturesNew. I think I need your friends job :rotfl:

I drive a very bumpy little Mini Cooper which is already close to being on its last legs - I barely trust it to get me to work most days, never mind with double the mileage!

I have the option of commuting on the train as well, which would be far less stressful and tiring. It's around an hour travelling that way, so probably very similar to the drive. You've definitely given me a fair bit to think about though, as after purchasing a house I definitely won't be in the position to buy a new, comfy commuter car! :(
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    Have you thought about renting in the prospective area for 6 months or so?

Since you're already renting where you are, it would make sense to 'try out' the area you're thinking about, before commiting to buying a house there.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • KatieDee
    KatieDee Posts: 709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jayII wrote: »
    Have you thought about renting in the prospective area for 6 months or so?

Since you're already renting where you are, it would make sense to 'try out' the area you're thinking about, before commiting to buying a house there.

Great suggestion. Unfortunately, the cost of moving, deposits, landlord fees, etc, would be very expensive and would probably offset our ability to afford to buy as soon as we would like to. It cost us around £2000 to move into the flat we're in now, and I cannot see it being too different in the areas we're interested in.

I understand the importance of vetting an area before moving to it, and in an ideal world we'd love to rent there for a while, but it isn't really an option :(

We're doing all our homework, looking at statistics, schools, driving around at different times, scoping out the area, pretty much everything we can do to make sure it's right for us. It's just the commuting aspect that I'm not 100% on.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've done 100 miles round trip in the distant past. It was working shifts, so just 4 days a week. Fairly clear country roads, no dual carriageway, so I needed to be alert as I drove quite quickly. I stuck it for 9 months then got a transfer much closer to home. I didn't realise how much of a toll it had been taking until it was no longer there.

I stay less than 2 miles from my office and cycle there to save parking costs. I've recently changed roles within my organisation for a very modest promotion and a lot more driving.

I can do 300 miles in a week, including sometimes a 12 hour day with 5+ hours driving. It doesn't bother me at all, but the difference is my employer pays my travelling costs and most of my time. I may work 2-3 hours a week over my contracted hours, but that's my choice to get the job done. I can also control the days I travel, so rarely do so on a Friday or Monday, so it doesn't intrude into my weekend.

So the difference, as with many things is the level of control you have. I chose to apply for the post, knowing it involved a lot of travel. I can manage that to suit myself. My employer pays me mileage and most of my time.

I'd absolutely hate doing the same miles spread over 5 days as a commute because I had to. Having to get up in the morning early, leave early, home late would grind because I would feel trapped by it.
  • tiernsee
    tiernsee Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I used to work in London and it was a 90 minute bus and tube journey each way daily. I did this for seven years till we moved out and I now have a ten minute drive or twenty minute walk.

The commuting wasnt too bad as I could read, I wouldnt do a 90 minute drive twice a day but some people would probably prefer the car to the tube/train. However, now I am used to the short distance it would be very hard to start commuting again, being home by 5 is great!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    KatieDee wrote: »
    I drive a very bumpy little Mini Cooper which is already close to being on its last legs - I barely trust it to get me to work most days, never mind with double the mileage!

I have the option of commuting on the train as well, which would be far less stressful and tiring. It's around an hour travelling that way, so probably very similar to the drive.

If these were my options, it'd be the train every time - no brainer!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • I always think of it in time rather than distance. It used to take me an about an hour to get to work (walk/bus) so that is the maximum I'm willing to do. Though for the right job and that fact I now have a car, I could stretch that a bit as I love driving alone listening to my music.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I always think of it in time rather than distance. It used to take me an about an hour to get to work (walk/bus) so that is the maximum I'm willing to do. Though for the right job and that fact I now have a car, I could stretch that a bit as I love driving alone listening to my music.

I'd second this - time is more important than distance. And if travelling by train / public transport, reliability and comfort is also key.

I used to commute by rail from Stoke to Stockport - the trains were frequent and generally reliable, I could always get a seat and I found the 30-45 minute journey a good wind-up / wind down at the start and end of the day. I really enjoy reading so the journey was a good opportunity to spend time with a good book.

I've done other journeys where trains were infrequent, often cancelled or late and standing room only - no way could I have done that twice daily for any length of time. And no way would I spend several hours a day driving in the rush hour.
  • Have you looked at the total additional commute costs of buying a house further out vs the extra cost of a higher mortgage to live in south Manchester? Your post seemed to suggest you could afford it, but didn't want to spend the extra and 'waste' money. I almost bought a much cheaper house in a commuter town but when I added up the cost of the extra petrol it ended up being about £50 a month more expensive to live in the city. Then I thought about taxis home after a night out - which might not be an issue if you live near enough to a train/tram station and the trains run late enough. Then the extra time I gained by not having to sit in rush hour traffic for 40 mins morning and night. My commute is about 10/15mins (5 mins in school holidays) it's walkable in about 45 mins if I didn't have the car and free parking (and wasn't so lazy!) and I'm happy with that. I used to drive 50 miles each way, mostly motorway, and the only thing I miss is that I don't get to listen to audiobooks on my commute anymore.

If you're planning to stay in your current job or most of the jobs in your field are city centre based then you need to think longer term about the commute. If you decide to have children later on and both partners work then one of you has to be able to make their job and commute work around nursery times, so that's something else to think about.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure