Bitcoin's gone a bit quiet

Options
A 30% plunge in a week, approaching 2008/09 GFC proportions, and not a peep. I wonder how many have been badly burned by buying into the recent hype and are now hoping for a 50% rise just to cover losses. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just an observation about the recent lack of commentary and threads

Comments

• Bonnie151
    Options
    I’m happy to peep. :D I’m pretty much hunkering down and waiting it out. It’s plunged before, it’ll plunge again. I *am* hoping this scares off all the get rich quick people.
    Hmmmm, need new siggie :cool:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bonnie151 wrote: »
    I’m happy to peep. :D I’m pretty much hunkering down and waiting it out. It’s plunged before, it’ll plunge again. I *am* hoping this scares off all the get rich quick people.
    That won't leave many people!
  • Bonnie151
    Options
    There are plenty of us. We’ll just go back to hiding in our geeky forums. :p

I do want to see what the floor is. I told myself over the summer that if we ever saw £1500 again, I’d buy more.
    Hmmmm, need new siggie :cool:
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 December 2017 at 1:44PM
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    A 30% plunge in a week, approaching 2008/09 GFC proportions, and not a peep. I wonder how many have been badly burned by buying into the recent hype and are now hoping for a 50% rise just to cover losses. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just an observation about the recent lack of commentary and threads

30% or greater plunges aren't exactly rare occurrences for Bitcoin.
    There was one as recently as July 2017.

I'd find it surprising if people who use the moneysavingexpert forums haven't educated themselves on the extreme volatility of Bitcoin prices and don't refrain from speculating with anything more than a small amount.
  • You've all missed the train for Bitcoin i'm afraid, don't worry though the "DigiByte" Moon express is leaving very soon!!!!!!
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ozaz wrote: »
    30% or greater plunges aren't exactly rare occurrences for Bitcoin.
    There was one as recently as July 2017.

I'd find it surprising if people who use the moneysavingexpert forums haven't educated themselves on the extreme volatility of Bitcoin prices and don't refrain from speculating with anything more than a small amount.

Apart from one poster recently who wanted to put his whole Pension Pot into Bitcoin :j
  • cs90
    cs90 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't be happier. Hodling and buying more!

Bitcoin is still 50% up for the month, 1,705% up for the year.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Best not to do too much Hodling. Could be bad for your eyesight.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 December 2017 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Bitcoin has fallen over 70% 3 times in the last 7 years - nothing new. Could easily go down to sub £1,000 before ending 2018 at £50,000. Image from ZeroHedge blog
    20171222_btc7.jpg
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Bonnie151 wrote: »
    There are plenty of us. We’ll just go back to hiding in our geeky forums. :p

I do want to see what the floor is. I told myself over the summer that if we ever saw £1500 again, I’d buy more.

You have made at least 247 contributions to the real world. I’m sure sticking you in a room with Warren and Terry for a week will put you back on your feet.

Don’t lose hope, we are here to help you when you need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure