Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep my free pair of shoes?

1235»

Comments

• yorkie22
    yorkie22 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You should contact the company, this gives them the chance to decide what to do. Possibly they will send you a free post returns sticker to return them ( though most enclose one with the item any way ). If your VERY lucky they may say keep them.
  • mwf862
    mwf862 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don’t believe you have to ask this - go have a word with yourself, will you!!! REALLY!!!?
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Greveson wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't bother to return them. If they don't get in touch asking for them then clearly they don't notice it and it makes no difference to them.

A lot of people on this forum like to act like they are saints....
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • paulfoel wrote: »

If more people acted like saints, there would be a lot less trouble in the world, and yet somehow I feel you are criticising. If you mean 'pretend they are saints' - that is different.

I was brought up with a conscience - if I do the wrong thing I feel guilty, so generally I don't. Because I'm human, and not saintly, I occasionally get it wrong, and my conscience troubles me for quite a while.
  • No you cannot legally keep them.

There have been laws passed on this!

You have to notify the company that you have received the shoes and ask for them to arrange collection or what ever the companies procedure for returning goods is - if you phone, make a note of the date and time you rang, the telephone number you used and the name of the person you spoke to. If sending email - keep it so you have proof.

If the company don't contact you within a reasonable amount of time - 6 months, you can legally keep the goods.

So don't break the law - contact the company involved.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You actually need to ask?

Well, if you don't want to be considered a thief - YES arrange to send them back!
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    paulfoel wrote: »

Being honest is not "acting like a saint", it's just normal behaviour for most people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure