Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep my free pair of shoes?

Options

Comments

• AcerBen
    AcerBen Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm on the fence over whether you should, but since you're asking the question you obviously feel bad about it. So tell them, but hope they don't ask you to send them back.
  • Badger57
    Options
    I'm Not a lawyer but I believe that this would be theft. As you know and accept the mistake has been made. If you were unaware it would be a defence. Every theft just like shop lifting costs the rest of us more.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you really need to ask this question?

The supplier has clearly made a genuine mistake - something that can happen with almost every business, even if it has stock and other controls in place. If you have any sense of integrity you should contact the firm, explain what has happened and let them decide what is to be done; they will probably arrange collection of the shoes by courier, at their expense, not yours.

If you're still in doubt, look at it from the supplier's point of view. If it finds out that you have kept one pair and said nothing, it might blacken your name in its books or affect the credit rating you have.
  • Sussex.girl54
    Options
    Really??? Just send them back I'm sure the postage is free. I had a similar issue & was rewarded by thanks & a voucher!! An honest person always does the right thing...
  • malkypaul
    Options
    Hi All
    I would contact the company purely to salve my concionce but the company will probably ignore you / tell you to keep them because the cost of returning them to their stores is more than the cost of the item, and if you like the shoes enjoy them as a second pair when the first pair wears out.
    enjoy the shoes
    Malkypaul
  • Sussex.girl54
    Options
    If it came out of your pocket, would you have the same view?
  • pugsydog
    pugsydog Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you keep them it’s theft. Get in touch with the company. If they say keep them, that’s fine. Otherwise don’t make yourself a thief by keeping something you haven’t paid for.
  • Jezwed
    Options
    I, like others, can't believe this is an issue. The shoes no longer belong to you. When given a refund in a shop you don't still keep the goods! Something similar happened to me recently. I ordered a handbag online in a sale 50% off. When it arrived they'd sent the wrong colour so I emailed them to express my disappointment as the correct colour was now out of stock. The company emailed to say they had managed to find one & did I still want it-I did. In the meantime they refunded me for the incorrect item ( I'd returned it immediately using their free returns). I emailed them again to explain what had happened that a refund wasn't necessary as a replacement was being sent. They rang me to take payment ( & thank me for my honesty) and gave me a further discount on the item. As I explained on the phone it would have been stealing to keep both the refund and the goods. At least I was brought up properly!!
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you want two pairs of shoes that are exactly the same?
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • PegasusPJ
    Options
    Couple of years ago I ordered books for xmas presents from Amazon. They failed repeatedly to deliver (yodel: ( ) and then couldn't find the parcel so sent another.
    A few weeks later, after xmas, the original parcel turned up, damaged and missing 1 item.
    I offered to return it but they told me to keep it.

If you get a refund or they sent a replacement, the right thing is to offer to return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure