What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?

Options

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all :)
    Sorry Magic Beans, I have never oven cooked mince, so can't offer any advice. Have you other things to go in the oven at the same time?
    Not much action here today:
    DD and little GD appeared
    OH and I went to get our flu injections, very quick!
    Stopped at the Coop on the way home and got extra bread and bits for lunch as there would be 5 of us. There is food left for other lunches :)
    Got voucher codes from Campbells, so did an order, as not much other than HG veg and fruit in freezer now.
    Cleaned bathroom :)
    Listed some items on ebay
    Posted a couple of ebay items that just needed stamps (free from RM surveys :D)
    And that is about it, so far :o
    Might make a cake later!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sure that you're totally on it, but I like to shred the chard and freeze it. It's great for chucking into soup, omelettes and scrambled eggs and things then.

Do you shred both the leaves and the stems CLF? I never quite know what to do with the stuff, I grow it mainly because it looks pretty :o
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I found last year that chard survived well through the winter and I was still picking it at the beginning of summer before it went to seed. Took me right up to when other things were starting to be ready. Hoping the same again this year ;)

managed to rope in oh & we all went to the lottie for a couple of hours :j as he was there got 3 jobs done that needed more brawn than I possess :beer: very happy! I think by this time next week I will be completely no track for autumn and can start thinking about getting garlic and onions, sowing green manure and covering for winter :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Savers,
    Not a huge amount of money saving as have been down to help Mum with a few jobs & that's almost a 160 mile round trip. Back home now with snoring cat & mr f listening to raucous podcast.
    *Mum treated us to fish & chips for lunch which were lovely......tho we paid for coffee & toasted teacakes earlier in the day so maybe that one's 'budget neutral' rather than money saving.
    *Usual box of random things gifted from Mum: 1 CD, 1 pack paper napkins, 1 cake tin, 1 jam jar, 3 magazines & a big box of cat food.
    *Popped out to the local Aldi while we were there. Much bigger shop than ours & more choice. This week's groceries came in at under £39 despite buying a couple of extras (Christmas cake ingredients). Well under budget so far this month (our budget runs from 27th to 26th of the month(.
    *Free Guardian with Mum's Waitrose shopping & free Food mag.
    *Eating gorgeous leftovers tonight....mr f cooked roasted butternut macaroni cheese & it is well yum.
    *Continue knitting for sales basket.
    *Chillier tonight but no heating on yet apart from heated towel radiator in the bathroom.
    So nothing very significant but have been keeping the faith.
    Enjoy your weekends, all.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Re cooking mince in the oven. I wouldn't cook it that way myself so can't really comment constructively. I'd want to brown the onions & mince first so my preference would just be to complete it on the hob, especially as that's the best way of simmering it to the required thickness. I have recently started doing mince now & again in my slow cooker though so always worth experimenting!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi gang :wave:

I thought about getting a take away pizza but did a prime shop instead and got a few groceries for less than our last take away cost. :) Fake away pizza and salad it is. :A

Dog has really annoyed me today - he really doesn't like the neighbour and his dog for some reason and they came out of their house as we were passing so that was him on a bark fest. :mad: I had him on a halti nose lead thing so he couldn't really bark but it's really wound me up and just puts me off taking him out around here. I end up putting him in the car to drive a bit further away from our house - what a b loody palaver. :(

I've been thinking about stopping my bupa cover - it's taxed as a benefit in kind and I've never used it over the past 4 years.... Kind of thing that you'll need as soon as you cancel it... :think:

How did the spag bol work MagicBeans? I can't really imagine oven cooking mince without browning it in a frying pan first and then if you've already got the pan out then you probably wouldn't need to oven it at all...

I turned the heating off as just me in - a jumper is fine :cool:

Up to £6.75 on job spotter FVD :T

Well, that's my brain dump for the evening! :beer:
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I cashed out about a week ago, La E, and still haven't had the email with the Amazon code, apparently it comes from the email address info@tango. You can cash out at any amount so might be worth doing it sooner rather than later.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MagicBeans, I imagine cooking it in the oven will give you just one big lump, won't it? (More like meat loaf?) I know I have enough trouble separating the strands even on the hob to stop there being 'chunks'!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • MagicBeans
    Options
    Hello all!!

So I did the spag bol and it turned out sooo good.

The reason I had decided to oven cook the mince is because we have a really small kitchen with no ventilation on the oven and a window that doesn't open very far. So every time I boil the spaghetti it gets really steamy and even worse when I fry stuff. Ends up really hot and humid and takes a long time to feel comfortable again. My OH also suffers migraines and this is a trigger. :(

This is how I ended up doing it after an hour's research.

There were a few way suggested.
    I didn't brown it first.
    I went 200° for 15 minutes and then pulled it out to check on it and separate it. That turned out to be way too hot so I turned the oven down to 180° and after separating it (using a fork :D) put it back in, with some adder water as it was very dry (I hadn't used any oils except to grease the dish). A few people had suggested the water, and some not, so I hadn't gone with it at first. After 30 minutes had passed I took it out again and it was all cooked. I gave it an extra 10 minutes so it was just how I like it. So 40 minutes in all.

Got some compliments from OH and he wouldn't pull any punches :rotfl: so I know it must have been good. :cool:

Will definately do it again but next time will add other stuff in to cook at the same time too, to be more energy efficient / cost effective. Didn't plan ahead too much this time. :o

Sounds like you've all had pretty good weekends so far. :j

Hope Sunday's lovely and relaxing for us all.
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 October 2017 at 7:57AM
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

Managed to finish the neck on my jumper last night, just need some grey thread to sew the buttons on and also a large eyed needle to finish the ends. I cast on (375:eek:) stitches for my new project. Actually just realised when doing this that I only did 325 for some reason. I have only knitted about 20 stitches of the first row as the wool is so fine and I cast on using the thumb method, as per instructions, that it’s very slow progress. Will be better after row 1 when it’s a little looser. So I think I’ll frog it and start again. Have lots of opportunity to knit on Sunday and Monday nights so hoping I can get a couple of rows done to get me on my way. The wool is lovely, so pretty.

Other things:

Meals from stores
    Washing out
    Changed a bed and wash
    Update calendar for things over the next few months
    See if I can sort spare room
    Wrap and post 7 things that sold on fleabay last night :D
    See if I can find anything else I can to list
    Some sort of exercise, probably just a very brisk walk as my foot is still sore
    Get ready for week, make lunches etc...
    Complain to mr w. The staff who are in there are normally lovely but yesterday a totally numpty served me, he managed to put two sets of groceries together that I’d separated (and asked to be rung through sperately) and he lost my w card in the process - his answer - I Can’t see it! No apology, no it must be here somewhere etc... when I asked (knowing the answer, but thought he may want to redeem himself) how I get a new one, he just said. I’d have to call up and organise :mad: would have stayed to make my point but had small children and it was busy. I know it’s not a big thing, but just something else to add to my to do list and given it took 12 weeks and 4 phonecalls for my other one to arrive, I’m not hopeful. Obviously no free coffee in the meantime either ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure