IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

1 Big Car Park, 2 landowners, Valid parking ticket but Parking Charge Issued

Comments

• thank you Umkomaas for the info.

Costs I will go for (first 2 if they discontinue late or feel I can potentially try due to bad behaviour) are:
    1) Research and preparation of defence as litigant in person @£19 per hour,
    6 hours. Total £114

2) Printing of 3 copies of witness statement and skeleton argument and postage
    Estimate £25.

3) One day off work to attend hearing @£23 per hour X 4 hours
    £92

2) Mileage driven to attend court and return
    18.8 miles @ £0.45 per mile
    £8.46

3) Car parking on day of hearing
    £5

4) Land registry search fee
    £4

Total costs claimed £109.46 (without the extra costs).
  • The DVLA SAR I sent came back today. The PPC got my keeper details 38 days after fateful day.

Funny enough the Land Registry Index Map search (SIM) of the car park also came back today but unfortunately I will need to resend a second map on the OS Map blank they provided. They couldn't search using my google map.

I should still hopefully get this back in time as only took a week.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's clear from recent posts by both Lamilad and bargepole that if the PPC/solicitors discontinue, you won't be able to claim any costs.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73165881#post73165881
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • I am in 2 minds now should I send a costs schedule to the PPC and risk them discontinuing before court day
    OR
    Just wait until day and keep the ace up my sleeve (get some compensation - even if not much)

On reflection I think I will send the costs schedule now to PPC - much prefer the knowledge of a discontinuance than a loss at court particularly as the cost I can claim would just cover the appearance costs anyway.

Anyone else have an opinion?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    A costs schedule should be filed in advance; nothing should be sprung on either party on the day.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • A costs schedule must be served 24 hours in advance, minimum. So sayeth the Rules.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • claxtome
    claxtome Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 29 September 2017 at 9:08PM
    In light of Kezza15 winning today under thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5642721&page=3#topofpage

Which is the same car park and same problem as mine how can we use this to my advantage.

She has Volunteered to do a witness statement saying no fence there for instance but is this too late when my hearing is a week on Thursday?
    Quote her case in my skeleton argument?
    Anything else?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    She has Volunteered to do a witness statement saying no fence there for instance but is this too late when my hearing is a week on Thursday?
    Quote her case in my skeleton argument?
    Try it all. It's small claims and anything goes. In small claims it's said to be 'DJ Lottery' and you need to tip the balance in your favour of you can (although I'd say it's already in your favour unless your Judge is a useless old idiot).

What's the worst that can happen? Judge says it's inadmissable and you move on to the next point.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • claxtome
    claxtome Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2017 at 7:47AM
    My draft drop hands offer what do people think->

Without Prejudice, Save as to Costs
    To whom it may concern

I am writing in regards to Claim Number XXXXXX, PCN Number XXXXXXXX which goes to court on Thursday XXXX October. For 5 days only from the date of this letter I am prepared to accept a 'drop hands' arrangement to settle the case and save court time in unnecessarily dealing with this. Please respond by Thursday 5th October 5PM after which I will be pursuing punitive costs at the hearing.

Your court evidence is woeful and I have identified a number of very surprising issues that I look forward to drawing attention to the judge when cross-examining the witness. I believe these could prove very important.

I am aware of your recent court appearance Claim number D4GF90W8 at St Helens Court yesterday, a very similar case in the same car park, which was dismissed by the Judge.

I am confident in my arguments as detailed in Defence and Witness Statement and that the judge will rule in my favour. As detailed in my defence the Car park at XXXX St was not demarcated in any way, and no signs, to stop people travelling from the council part to your part which is against IPC CoP guidelines. The Judges in the Beavis case stated CoP guidelines must be followed in law. All of this will be explained to the judge. If you would like me to elaborate I will be happy to explain.

The Claimant is invited to withdraw his claim with no order for costs. This is a "drop hands" offer to settle with each party bearing their own costs. The offer is available for acceptance for a period of 5 days from the date of this letter.

The terms of the offer have value to the Claimant insofar as the defendant will not seek his costs of defending the action.

If the offer is not accepted, the defendant will seek to claim his costs of the defence and additional costs for unreasonable conduct pursuant to CPR Part 27.14 (2) (d) (e) (g) as per below

(2) The court may not order a party to pay a sum to another party in respect of that other party’s costs, fees and expenses, including those relating to an appeal, except –

(d) expenses which a party or witness has reasonably incurred in travelling to and from a hearing or in staying away from home for the purposes of attending a hearing;
    (e) a sum not exceeding the amount specified in Practice Direction 27 for any loss of earnings or loss of leave by a party or witness due to attending a hearing or to staying away from home for the purposes of attending a hearing;
    (g) such further costs as the court may assess by the summary procedure and order to be paid by a party who has behaved unreasonably

If we are unable to resolve this via a 'drop hands' arrangement, I will be seeking a punitive cost order against the claimant. Already my costs amount to £97.46 (as per the attached schedule), but I will be seeking further costs in view of the claimant's evident unreasonableness in pursuing me.

<defendant name>
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You need include the following line somewhere:
    "Without Prejudice, Save as to Costs"

Perhaps as a heading at the top.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing