IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Have we heard this all before?

Options

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    All very interesting. So, ATA's with no CoP of their own and
    no longer arbitors, simply become gatekeepers to the DVLA
    especially if they introduce an independent appeals service ?
    This would surely be the end of the IAS and POPLA

There would be no need for two ATA's and if there still has
    to be an ATA which is not government controlled, the BPA
    would be the correct choice.
    The incentive for PPC's to join the IPC would be zero

NO the goverment will act to check that both the BPA and the IPC are abiding by a code of conduct , thats the volentry code of conduct , the one that the members actually do not need to abide to ,,
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The Govt will end up being DVLA and we know how they operate!
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The government will set up a committee with representatives from the BPA IPC, DVLA, CAB and some other people they think are experts and fail to take the bull by the horns yet again!
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    NO the goverment will act to check that both the BPA and the IPC are abiding by a code of conduct , thats the volentry code of conduct , the one that the members actually do not need to abide to ,,

Completely wrong.

There will be nothing voluntary about the Code of Practice, it will be binding on all PPCs who are AOS members and wish to obtain DVLA data.

The regulator will enforce the Code, not the BPA or IPC, and PPCs who are in breach can expect to be suspended from data access.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • bargepole
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »
    The government will set up a committee with representatives from the BPA IPC, DVLA, CAB and some other people they think are experts and fail to take the bull by the horns yet again!

Also completely wrong.

The Committee that thrashes out the Code will contain more representatives of consumer bodies than it will from parking organisations.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bargepole wrote: »
    Also completely wrong.

The Committee that thrashes out the Code will contain more representatives of consumer bodies than it will from parking organisations.

All sounds promising we will see, but the government has not exactly done a great job of this to date!
  • bargepole
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »
    All sounds promising we will see, but the government has not exactly done a great job of this to date!

It doesn't go as far as many of us might wish for, but you have to bear in mind that the Government's agenda in this Parliament, and the previous one, is largely dominated by the Brexit negotiations, and preparations for what is popularly and wrongly dubbed the 'Great Repeal Bill'.

Politics is the art of the possible, and it has taken a deal of work behind the scenes to get this far, so please give this your support, and encourage your MP to be in the chamber to vote this through on the second reading.

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

There will be nothing voluntary about the Code of Practice, it will be binding on all PPCs who are AOS members and wish to obtain DVLA data.

The regulator will enforce the Code, not the BPA or IPC, and PPCs who are in breach can expect to be suspended from data access.

Can't wait to see who the first PPC will be ?

This forum will become very lively
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 August 2017 at 5:31PM
    Options
    It doesn't go as far as many of us might wish for, but you have to bear in mind that the Government's agenda in this Parliament, and the previous one, is largely dominated by the Brexit negotiations, and preparations for what is popularly and wrongly dubbed the 'Great Repeal Bill'.

Sorry Bargepole, I must query this statement.

Brexit is one thing and I'm certain a lot of people in government
    are involved but ..... not everyone by far, Mrs May still has the UK
    to run ?
    We are not looking for the Brexit excuse to overlook other
    important matters. David Davies seems to be doing alright
    by himself

"It doesn't go as far as many of us might wish for"

That alone is of grave concern, indicating that the scam
    will continue

Until we see the draft bill which you say will be along soon,
    It would be very difficult to ask an MP to support it
  • Computersaysno
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    "It doesn't go as far as many of us might wish for"

That alone is of grave concern, indicating that the scam
    will continue

I feel less concerned than you do.

Yes it would be nice to have law/action that would allow PPCs to be bankrupted for their transgressions and their directors sent to prison...but that not going to happen.

Instead it seems there will be an INDEPENDENT regulator, who will produce a MANDATORY code of conduct, with the penalty being NO ACCESS to DVLA data.

No access to DVLA data would be the death knell for many PPCs...

All in all, I'll take the above...and I suspect many on here would too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure