Free parking at Heathrow for 2 hours

Options
EdGasket
EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
Seems too good to be true but that is what their website says:

http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heathrow-long-stay-parking

Has anyone used this for picking-up/meeting people and does it apply to the long stay car parks for all terminals? (some sites only refer to T4 as having the free 2 hours)

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've read about this before but it's too much of a faff for me waiting for buses and lugging cases on and off buses. Why not get there closer to the time? Why do you need to be there at least an hour ahead ?
  • Bob~24601
    Bob~24601 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's true, as I have been to Heathrow (terminal 5) twice in the last week, and on both occasions parked in the long stay car park for free for upto 2hrs.

The same also applies to Gatwick airport.

What I think is bad is they advertise the dropping off people to the short stay where they charge you.

Getting a bus wasn't too bad, I waited a maximum of 3 mins (and this was at 430am!). It's only a few minutes on the bus (which is free) to the terminal.

Just be careful tho, as soon as you go over the two hours, you will have to pay the daily charge of around £26.

Regards

Bob
  • EdGasket
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Why do you need to be there at least an hour ahead ?

Don't really need to be there an hour ahead but the short stay car parks are expensive £11 for T5. To save money :) sounds like it is best to use free parking in the long stay. It is also very hard to judge travelling time on the M25 due to traffic conditions. It once took me an hour to get from the terminal 4 exit to the terminal 3 exit.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I suppose it's fine if you know they're arriving on time & won't have any hassle with immigration or customs. That 2 hours may not be enough.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    You need to be aware just how far the Long Stay is from the Terminal.

I used Long Stay last year for a months holiday.

Took nearly 30 minutes to get to the terminal and longer to get back.

Just depends how many people are using the shuttle bus as it doesn't take much luggage and they are not very frequent.

Your experience may differ depending on your terminal.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    If you need to save money then the safest bet is not to park till the person you are collecting has got through immigration and gets in touch, then park up and do what you have to do.

Don't attempt to park and meet at the drop off as you will almost certainly get a ticket.

They are really hot in this now thanks to out of town private hire/taxis picking up there and Uber and other London PH actually plotting up there for hours on end.

It was never a huge issue before but Uber drivers pretty much ruined it for everybody.
  • EdGasket
    Options
    Well I parked at T5 Long Stay for free today. The transfer to the terminal including waiting was about 18 mins there and 10 mins coming back as the bus was just leaving. Overall I was only in the car park for less than 1 hour. You can park anywhere but there are dedicated 2 hr parking slots for pick-up just to the right of where you drive in and these were mostly empty.

Free parking and free transfer; I recommend it.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 July 2017 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Don't forget the free 2 hours parking. This is the best bet for picking up people as this is the only free option(drop is free at the terminal, pick is not).
    http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heathrow-long-stay-parking
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    Don't forget the free 2 hours parking. This is the best bet for picking up people as this is the only free option(drop is free at the terminal, pick is not).
    This thread is over a a year old and the OP already posted this information in his very first post!
  • K_Garnett
    Options
    For anyone who hasn't tried it & concerned about procedure, just press the button at the entry barrier and collect the ticket - it'll have the time of entry and, cleverly, the vehicle reg printed on it, obviously provided by the cameras. You're then free for 2 hours, either going to the terminal to see people off properly, or greet arrivals, or just sit in the car and phone arrivees telling which zone stop to alight. On leaving you don't actually need to insert the ticket at the barrier - the number recognition cameras prompt it to lift automatically. It's a great hassle free service but remember you can't return in the same vehicle for 24 hrs, and make certain you're out within 2 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure