We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ERUDIO student loans help

Options

Comments

• rbruce101
    Options
    @erudioed, think you might find that it was CARVAL not Cargill who were the investors, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erudio_Student_Loans
    erudiostudentloans.co.uk/abouterudio/default.htm
    so slightly unfair that you muddy the waters with incorrect info regarding a company that has nothing to do with student loans.
    so I say to you sir........you should research your facts first........and post second.

Rob.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carval are owned by Cargill, so I don't see your point. It's also rather random to sign up just to post that.
  • anna2007
    anna2007 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    An update on the appeal to the Information Tribunal for the remaining withheld information in the Sale and Purchase Agreement. The appeal has now been heard and has been part allowed, although no further info is being released. There's a copy of the decision on the Information Tribunal's website here (EA/2016/0103):

http://informationrights.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk//Public/search.aspx

I can't really discuss the decision here on the forum, as there's the option to appeal to the Upper Tribunal, which I'm looking into just now.

I'm really sorry it wasn't the outcome we were hoping for, but I think it's fair to say they got a bit of a bloody nose. I wanted to say huge thanks to everyone who helped with the appeal, especially Mr McGuffin, but also GinOClock, BorderReiver, erudioed and the others who were good enough to submit personal statements and evidence to the tribunal. Without your support, I'd have given up long ago :)
  • anna2007
    Options
    Lungboy wrote: »
    Carval are owned by Cargill, so I don't see your point. It's also rather random to sign up just to post that.
    Maybe 'Rob' is Mr Cargill? He's clearly worried about Cargill being associated with such a shower of !!!!!s :D

Did you hear anything back from FOS yet Lungboy, after they refused to take on your Erudio complaint?
  • anna2007
    Options
    The ONS released their latest earnings data last week and from a quick copy and paste of the figures, it looks like the deferment level will be up slightly from 1 September, to £29,219 (currently £29,126).

That's if I've used the right month's stats - pretty sure it's July data but they usually delay announcing it until mid-August.

RPI for the interest rate on our loans is up a fair bit from 1 September, to 3.1% (1.6% in 2016/17).
  • Lungboy
    Options
    anna2007 wrote: »
    Maybe 'Rob' is Mr Cargill? He's clearly worried about Cargill being associated with such a shower of !!!!!s :D

Did you hear anything back from FOS yet Lungboy, after they refused to take on your Erudio complaint?

Nothing yet, not even an acknowledgement reply. I did get an email asking me to take a survey about their service though.
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 July 2017 at 10:14AM
    Options
    rbruce101 wrote: »
    @erudioed, think you might find that it was CARVAL not Cargill who were the investors,
    so slightly unfair that you muddy the waters with incorrect info regarding a company that has nothing to do with student loans.
    so I say to you sir........you should research your facts first........and post second.
    Rob.

Thanks Rob. You may by now be aware that Carval Investors recycles all Cargill's stashed cash and profits gathered by its multifarious business streams. Let me give you my own link: http://www.investopedia.com/news/cargills-plans-sell-carval-investors-fizzle/?lgl=rira-baseline-vertical

And just to ease your eyes from burning, let me pick out a few choice quotes about both these fantastic entities:

"Cargill Inc., the agricultural powerhouse company that is the largest privately-held company in the United States, has had difficulties selling off its investment branch. The firm, called CarVal Investors and worth about $10 billion, was initially put on the market in 2015, with Goldman Sachs responsible for managing the sale. Investment agencies including the Blackstone Group expressed early interest, and Cargill (and industry analysts) expected that the sale would go quickly and smoothly. In the intervening time, however, a bitter fight between Cargill and CarVal's former president has begun, and the possibilities of an easy sale seem to have disappeared.
    Company-wide Meeting Leads to Turmoil

John Brice had held leadership positions within CarVal since 2008, but in 2016 a series of events led to his being fired. On June 9, 2016, Brice spoke to CarVal employees at a company-wide meeting, alluding to difficulties in CarVal's relationship with top management at Cargill, according to court documents. Just a few days later, the documents reveal, Brice was called before the Cargill board and fired, following a bitter and tense meeting. Shortly thereafter, Brice began legal proceedings against Cargill over his dismissal, alleging that the company had planned a "coordinated, secretive plot" to fire him, according to further court documents.
    While the CarVal board stated that Brice's dismissal was for a number of factors, including the creation of a "demoralizing environment," Brice argued in his suit that the board had acted out of place and that its explanation of events was not well-founded."

And if you want a list of very tamely presented infractions by Cargill via the very restrained Wikipedia, here is a shot in the arm about some of the more well known environmentally destructive operations Cargill undertakes, and all for profit no less!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticisms_of_Cargill

And here is the brief area of topics discussed...and there are many many more not mentioned here:
    All their profits from such destructive and horrible practices are then channelled through Carval, which can then use the money to make investments in things like student debt, helping reinforce and grow this vulture industry at an exponential rate. I can see nothing in this cycle that is of real benefit to mankind, unless its very destruction/slow decent into horribleness is a benefit that is!
  • Lungboy
    Options
    Erudio have deferred me, finally, but say next year I shouldn't submit redacted payslips. They also refused any compensation for refusing my deferment on no grounds. Still waiting to hear from the FOS.
  • GinOClock
    GinOClock Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There has been a freedom of information request released by the Department of Education after a copy of all correspondence between Erudio and the DfE regarding the new DAF was requested:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/erudio_student_loans_daf?nocache=incoming-1008638#incoming-1008638

If you trawl through some of the emails between the Erudio and the DfE, it would appear to read that Erudio has formally abandoned plans to routinely report loans to CRAs or perform credit checks when carrying out deferment applications.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/408110/response/1008825/attach/4/MacDonald%2020170028341%20Annex%20A%20ErudioDfEemail%20FOI%20July17%20FINAL.pdf

This is good news. Maybe one of the mods in the forum could get Erudio to confirm this formally/officially, together with an explanation? They seem to have kept this rather quiet.
  • Jonmenzies
    Jonmenzies Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »
    Why would you want to permanently limit your income, just to avoid paying back a percentage of your income above that point?

Talking about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Most people get a degree to maximise, not minimise their earning potential. If you want to earn less than £21k, don't bother getting a degree. No debt, no worries. You'd also avoid the deferment merry go round that ends up with the debts being sold and dealing with these lovely fellows at Erudio.

Thanks for reply. I am 43 now and have left my job (the Government) and HATE them. I want to go and get some skills as they have de-skilled me - working in Social Security. I intend on getting every penny off them and not paying it back.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure