PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Evicting Family from your property

Options

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Why would someone buy, even at a very low price, if they were unable to use the premises or extract any rent ?
    They wouldn't (IMHO): But, in the circumstances described, a purchaser could evict occupants (procedure is not too difficult) then re-let for market rent or occupy themselves or sell...
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2017 at 4:45PM
    Options
    They wouldn't (IMHO): But, in the circumstances described, a purchaser could evict occupants (procedure is not too difficult) then re-let for market rent or occupy themselves or sell...

Only a mortgage free buyer would be able to buy with a non paying tenant, and any buyer would be that much more sceptical of the time/cost of evicting as they would have to dig into the agreement between the current LL and occupants. Rather than so severely restrict the market, OP could follow the same procedure and evict.

If you're worried about souring relations, then evicting or selling to a buyer who you expect will evict straight away is pretty much the same as the OP evicting.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not seeing any souring of relations.

The op has more or less said that it's a contrived eviction to get a council house.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    I'm not seeing any souring of relations.

The op has more or less said that it's a contrived eviction to get a council house.

Not quite, they said they have to sell the house, so the family members need to leave anyway. They are just trying to work the situation to get them the best chance if a council house.

That may be reasonable, if they haven't been paying rent maybe it's because they're in financial dire straits and are lucky to have a kind relative?
  • tagemoss
    Options
    hi, sorry to dredge up an old thread and be a n00b to the site,

i was trying to find out if calling the police would be the right thing to do, to get my sister out of my mums house?

i still live at home with my mum due to anxiety / depression (my dad died after i graduated from uni) so that messed me up. (i was the one in when the police came)

my sister moved out years ago but due to a domestic problem with her husband she is living with us again, but she's been nothing but trouble. The thing is, she is autistic and so is her son, which we understand, it's my sisters mental state that's the problem, shes been living with us since nov 2018 and all she does it complain and argue about everything under the sun, she won't accept help from anyone, says all sorts of nasty things, no violence yet...

my mum has been stuck in bed for several weeks as it wore her down, i'm the only one trying to keep sh... together.

she lost it this morning and i had to leave the house and find a neighbour to talk to and then went to the doctors explaining the whole thing but they can't do anything without permission from my sister, which she'll never agree to as it's like talking to a brick wall. dreading what she'll say when she comes back as i passed her on the way back from doctors..

she acts like someone with split personality, as shes normal around other people but round me and mum shes horrible.

any advice? or is this not the right place? sorry being new, i've contacted all sorts of services which can't do anything because they need permission from my sister, lost on what the flip to do..

my mum doesn't want to ring the police and i'm afraid to do it because of my anxiety..

just wondering what thoughts anyone has? my mum is in 70's and i'm now 35. i'm trynig to work from home but the house is a mess because she's taken over...
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doctors aren't the right people. You need to contact your health care professionals about how it is affecting your mental health and also your mother and you need to contact social services about your mother's health problems caused by your sister.

It needs to be sorted out by social services rather than the police.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Who does the house belong to? If it is your mum's house, and your sister has simply been staying with her, then she is likely to be either a guest or a lodger, and either way, all your mum has to do is tell her she neds to leave.
    If she doesn't listen, your mum may want to put something in writing to her saying that she cannot continue to saty and needs to have made alternative arrangemetns by [date]

Your mum can then change the locks if she wants.

If your sister is threatening or abusive, even if it does not include physical violence, you can conact the police.

Services can't offer your sister support or help, she would have to ask for that herself. It may be that she wuill chose not to do so, and that is up to her, but that does not mean that you and your mum have to put up with her inappropriate behaviour.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • tagemoss
    Options
    I didn't call the police in the end, but if it gets any worse i will have to.

mental illness is a tricky thing, no idea when she got diagnosed with autism or if she actually is on the spectrum as she doesn't tell us anything. all we know is it was sometime last year or beginning of this year.

i've been wondering if it's some other form of mental illness, but getting her to go get checked would be like slapping a croc, you get snapped at.

not sure if it's her autism causing her to not realise what she is doing to us both or something else that's making her nuts.

i've been in touch with local social services but have no idea if they will send someone, because she acts like someone completely different when she goes out to appointmets etc, like what my sister used to be like, she only acts up at home.

i guess we'll have to wait and see....

thanks for the replies :)
  • helpingson
    Options
    I have a similar situation to the above. My mother-in-law owns her own house which she occupied with her youngest daughter. The daughter has abused her mother, verbally, physically and mentally over the past 30 years and has drained her financially. My mother-in-law has had to work stacking shelves in a supermarket until two weeks ago when she suffered a TIA stroke aged 82. Two years ago she moved into 'sheltered accommodation' to escape her daughter. The burden of paying rent on Sheltered Accom and still paying bills on her own house has left her in financial difficulty which I am attempting to sort out.
    The daughter has never paid rent or had any agreement. We need to sell the house fast to settle the debts.
    What are my (on behalf of my mother-in-law)rights to evict the daughter so we can get a quick sale to settle debt before she ends up in court. We sent her a letter asking her to Vacate the property giving almost 3 weeks notice.
    Please can anyone advise.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can people stop adding new queries to this thread please?

Start your own thread by clicking on the 'New Thread' button.

It gets confusing with multiple queries on one thread.

Tagemoss:
    my sister moved out years ago but due to a domestic problem with her husband she is living with us again, but she's been nothing but trouble.
    Social services can only help if

* your sister asks them to and cooperates or
    * she is 'sectioned' under the mental health act or
    * if children are at risk

Your sister has a 'licence to occupy' the property, granted by the propery owner. Is that your mother? The poperty owner can withdraw that licence at any time, and demand that your sister leave. If she does not, 'reasonable force' can be used to evict her, though I do not recommend this. Easier to wait till she goes out, then change the locks.

See
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAo7zSN-9o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport