BT Web Protect, BT Virus Protect! McAfee - Would they slow down laptop?

Options
Hello

I upgraded to BT Infinity 1 as I'd ordinary unlimited broadband. The next day I installed the free BT Web Protect and BT Virus Protect (McAfee software included) as recommended by BT and I think my laptop is running slower since I installed it!

The Infinity speed seemed faster at the time but slower now since installing these? Should I uninstall these and put on free programs again? I uninstalled previous free software prgorams and this is what firewall says

htagww.jpg

Thanks

sunni

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    yes, did you have a/v before and is it still running/installed
    ? i would get rid of that force fed carp
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • sunni
    sunni Posts: 785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, did you have a/v before and is it still running/installed
    ? i would get rid of that force fed carp
    Will uninstall McAfee as laptop is running slow since I downloaded it!

I'd Avast before and I uninstalled it. Is it enough on it's own?
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    sunni wrote: »
    Will uninstall McAfee as laptop is running slow since I downloaded it!

I'd Avast before and I uninstalled it. Is it enough on it's own?
    generally yes, if you can live with the nagging to go for the paid for version, lots of the free ones do that more often than not. Since you are used to avast I wouldn't suggest changing it.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • sunni
    Options
    generally yes, if you can live with the nagging to go for the paid for version, lots of the free ones do that more often than not. Since you are used to avast I wouldn't suggest changing it.
    Ok, just curious when you previously said about a/v? Did you mean AVG or TotalAV?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    a/v is short for AntiVirus
  • sunni
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    a/v is short for AntiVirus
    Thanks, doh me :o
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was given a free copy of Mcafee - uninstalled it same day - made my laptop slow to the point of being nearly unusable. Sticking with Avast, despite the pop ups
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doesn't the free Windows Defender for Windows 10 offer the same protection and no nags/pop ups?
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Doesn't the free Windows Defender for Windows 10 offer the same protection and no nags/pop ups?
    IMHO yes just like a chocolate fireguard would against a chimney fire , santa would love the chocolate buttons on the 25th
  • sunni
    Options
    flashg67 wrote: »
    I was given a free copy of Mcafee - uninstalled it same day - made my laptop slow to the point of being nearly unusable. Sticking with Avast, despite the pop ups
    Yeah mine was the same, have saw two free a/v programs, TotalAV and Scanguard so might download one of these
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure