🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Timeshare holiday - which company is the best?

Options
Hi there

We are are new to the world of timeshare -a family of 4 with 2 young school going children which means we are restricted to holidaying only during peak times/ school holidays. We holiday for an average 3 to 5 weeks a year. Because of kids ages (6 year old twins) we have mostly been holidaying in Europe in past few years. Over next few years though we would go for long haul holidays to Florida, Mexico, Australia, North America etc.

We recently did a promotional week holiday with Club La costa CLC but didn't opt for buying their membership because of reviews on them here, like there is not much availability of holiday options in peak time where at their own 32 resorts or 100's of resorts from Interval Internationals!

Would someone suggest which timeshare membership is best in the market in terms of flexibility and still lower on initial and annual cost? Whether timeshare is best compared to standard holiday booking online where accommodation and flights can be booked together or separately?

- how Dimond, RCI, Marriot/ Interval and other timeshare memberships compare to CLC in terms of reliability, customer service, flexibility, price etc)

- where would you recommend to buy membership from?

- Is buying from a reseller better and cheaper option than buying as a new? Whether directly or via an agent?

- is point based or fractional ownership option better than buying weeks?

- I've read that most of RCI resorts in Mexico and Caribbean are on mandatory all-inclusive 'AI' basis and they charge very high fee of over £100/day per person? Is this correct and is it the same with Interval International?

- any general feedback on timeshare will be great?

Many thanks

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What they said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Instead take advantage of other people who've been reamed by timeshare companies and who are trying to dump their weeks - you can get some great deals if you offer cash (there's always someone happy to take the loss just to get some cash).

Timeshare companies stitch you up with fees forever (after all, that's their business), a straight holiday is a straight price then is done.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Roop wrote: »
    Hi there

We are are new to the world of timeshare -a family of 4 with 2 young school going children which means we are restricted to holidaying only during peak times/ school holidays. We holiday for an average 3 to 5 weeks a year. Because of kids ages (6 year old twins) we have mostly been holidaying in Europe in past few years. Over next few years though we would go for long haul holidays to Florida, Mexico, Australia, North America etc.

We recently did a promotional week holiday with Club La costa CLC but didn't opt for buying their membership because of reviews on them here, like there is not much availability of holiday options in peak time where at their own 32 resorts or 100's of resorts from Interval Internationals!

Would someone suggest which timeshare membership is best in the market in terms of flexibility and still lower on initial and annual cost? Whether timeshare is best compared to standard holiday booking online where accommodation and flights can be booked together or separately?

- how Dimond, RCI, Marriot/ Interval and other timeshare memberships compare to CLC in terms of reliability, customer service, flexibility, price etc)

- Is buying from a reseller better and cheaper option than buying as a new? Whether directly or via an agent?

- I've read that most of RCI resorts in Mexico and Caribbean are on mandatory all-inclusive 'AI' basis and they charge very high fee of over £100/day per person? Is this correct and is it the same with Interval International?

Many thanks

Indeed you could, but you won't if you buy a timeshare.

Even without the charges (which can be ridiculous) do you really want to have to take your holiday in the same place every year when the whole world is open to you?
  • Roop
    Roop Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Instead take advantage of other people who've been reamed by timeshare companies and who are trying to dump their weeks - you can get some great deals if you offer cash (there's always someone happy to take the loss just to get some cash).

Timeshare companies stitch you up with fees forever (after all, that's their business), a straight holiday is a straight price then is done.

Thanks paddyrg.
    Is it best to buy a resell directly from owners or through agents like Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket http://www.timeshare-hypermarket.com ?
  • Roop
    Roop Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks missbiggles1.
    Under point-based timeshare system, those points can be used for holiday anywhere in the world subject to availability so one is not restricted to one or few same places again again.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Timeshare is not for everyone and I would not suggest it unless you are very flexible as to when and where you travel.
    We have had one for 20 yrs or so and have had some wonderful exchanges all over the world, but you do need to be flexible and with children at school you can't be.
    Look on Redweek and TUG sometimes you can just get weeks if yu find somewhere you want to go. The other thing is just to rent an apartment.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks missbiggles1.
    Under point-based timeshare system, those points can be used for holiday anywhere in the world subject to availability so one is not restricted to one or few same places again again.

The practice isn't as easy as the theory but, even if it were, your choices would still be limited.
  • Raymondo111
    Raymondo111 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there

Many thanks

If you really are interested in buying a Timeshare then buy at the cheapest possible price but be aware that annual maintenance fees can and do rise over the years, some sellers expect to recoup some of their initial outlay which could be thousands of pounds but in reality people are giving them away and all they want is to just get shot of them. Be aware that in the last couple of years there have been major Court cases in Spain and its Islands where developers have illegally sold Timeshare in perpetuity which means once you own they think that you will be responsible for the maintenance for ever. This is not the case but you must be prepared for all sorts of skullduggery from the developers who will tell lies and bully you if you ever want to exit your Timeshare.
    I originally had 2 separate Timeshares in the Canary Islands, both bought on eBay years ago, 1was being constantly updated, the other one was very poorly run which resulted in me asking to hand back my weeks owned but they didn't want them back so I gave up paying maintenance 4 years ago and told them to whistle. They tried all sorts of threats but eventually gave up so please be aware of what can happen and take this into account before committing yourself. I still have the other Timeshare which I can use and enjoy if we want just a chill out now and then, I tend to bank my weeks internally so rather than have my fixed weeks can use them anytime subject to availability which normally is pretty good.

One of the best and cheapest exchange Companies are Dialanexchange who do not apply the rule of if you own a 1 bed apartment then you would get a 1 bed apartment in exchange, we had a 3 bed apartment in Kissimmee Florida a few years ago that slept 8 but I had only deposited a 1 bed apartment.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of the good and bad of the Timeshare World, sometimes the annual maintenance fees are more than you would pay for renting in your own Timeshare so do a lot of research before you make your mind up.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks missbiggles1.

Am I being skeptical here but how would a newbie to Time share know to push this untruth?

I smell a rat

If you are genuine;) then follow the advice DO NOT DO THIS.
  • Raymondo111
    Raymondo111 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    Am I being skeptical here but how would a newbie to Time share know to push this untruth?

I smell a rat

If you are genuine;) then follow the advice DO NOT DO THIS.

Blindman,

As far as I can see the OP seems to have been a Forum member for 9 years so not a newbie, however, it looks as though they have had a very hard sell on the points based Timeshare system which is not the best way to go if they are really are genuinely are thinking of Timeshare. Trouble is with all the crap they throw at you they make it sound like utopia but the reality is something different, yes Timeshare can work but buyer beware, do your research and buy cheaply and make sure that you can exit without high costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport