Dulux Endurance+ Nightmare (Salsa Red)

2»

Comments

• Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry, didn't explain that very clearly, mist coat in the diluted supermatt and then top cats in your chosen colour. What I was getting at is strong or vibrant colours frequently take twice as many coats to get a good finish so 4 coats of top coat is not unusual
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • Well i went with 1 coat yesterday, hit the 2nd this morning 8:30, another by 2:30 & a 4th by 7:30.
    The light started to fade & i was going by living room light which wasn't so great.

Fingers crossed it'll look somewhere near acceptable in the morning.

On a side note, that yellow frog tape is pretty close to crap. Thankfully it hasn't lifted where i've painted with Endurance+ on the walls but it lifted the white emulsion off the ceiling back to plaster. So that'll need touching up. Annoying!

I gave up after a while & went freehand since i already had a line to work to.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    White is as bad to paint over with a dark colour as you think black might be for anything else. It will glow through something like a red.

I'd always mist coat with the colour you're painting with or at least a magnolia. White is a pig.

Hopefully it's okay today, but I'm not surprised it takes more than two coats.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    And don't be tempted to thin emulsion AFTER the first coat, you still seem unsure about that?.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Doozergirl wrote: »
    White is as bad to paint over with a dark colour as you think black might be for anything else. It will glow through something like a red.

I'd always mist coat with the colour you're painting with or at least a magnolia. White is a pig.

Hopefully it's okay today, but I'm not surprised it takes more than two coats.
    Yeah my wife did some googling afterwards & found people basically repeating each other with the exception of some American website which stated what you just did. In their case i believe they covered the white with a pink first before going to the red.

If i'd have known that i'd have thrown some B&Q cheap red on first as it's not dear stuff.

Oh well, lesson learned for the future.
    And don't be tempted to thin emulsion AFTER the first coat, you still seem unsure about that?.

I do?

Why (do i seem unsure)?

Anyway, i'm not. I've just gone with the 5th coat. It's thankfully showing signs of coming together, with exception of where i'm cutting in which is improving, just verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    To be honest I have always found red a difficult colour in paint. I like to have a red front door and it took three goes on the last house to come up with a colour I felt matched the tin. This house the door is crimson and I have had no end of problems getting a consistent finish with it. Generally oil based "runny" gloss paint works better but of course it is more difficult to apply. White undercoat is hopeless for red paint particularly.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yeah we've had a bit of bother with colours.

Not like yours but it just reminded me .... we bought a tester pot since Dulux tins aren't the cheapest & we were happy with the colour. I forget the name of it.

Painted the walls up in that SuperMatt white so it's all good to go.

Then behind where one of the radiators will be i had these tester pots out 1 last time (since they were applied to white card last time) & yup - everything just like it was on the card. Good to go.

Go & buy the tin as part of a 2 for £30 on 2.5ltrs.

Paint up the whole hallway. Think this is a bit strong.

Let it dry, hoping it'd fade. Nope.

Colour was not the shade it was in the tester pot. Not even close.

Money wasted. Thanks Dulux.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Yeah we've had a bit of bother with colours.

Not like yours but it just reminded me .... we bought a tester pot since Dulux tins aren't the cheapest & we were happy with the colour. I forget the name of it.

Painted the walls up in that SuperMatt white so it's all good to go.

Then behind where one of the radiators will be i had these tester pots out 1 last time (since they were applied to white card last time) & yup - everything just like it was on the card. Good to go.

Go & buy the tin as part of a 2 for £30 on 2.5ltrs.

Paint up the whole hallway. Think this is a bit strong.

Let it dry, hoping it'd fade. Nope.

Colour was not the shade it was in the tester pot. Not even close.

Money wasted. Thanks Dulux

Take it to Dulux then or your store and ask for a refund.

It does do what it says on the can, unless you can prove otherwise.;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't want to create another new thread so i'll ask here & hope for a response from some folk today.

Update: The chimney breast seems to have covered fine. By the end of it all it took i think 5 coats if i've counted correct, but thanks for telling me to stick with it.

QUESTION TIME...

I have some left over paint. Roughly the level is to where the colour display is on the front of the tin - the top of that on a 2.5ltr tin. I'm fairly sure that it'd be enough for another coat if needed (or maybe once the roller is washed out & not already pre-loaded then the majority of a coat). It'd certainly be enough for any small touch ups

We did buy another tin, just in case, but we haven't opened it.

They seem to be discontinuing it & have since dropped it down from the £18 we bought it at to £12.

My reaction is that since we have a bit in the current tin, to return the unopened tin for a refund.

So to those who can speak from experience, would you keep the unopened tin or return it for refund?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure