Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    wireframe
    Curious - "Adult Acting" as income supplement?
    • 24th Jun 10, 10:58 AM
    Curious - "Adult Acting" as income supplement? 24th Jun 10 at 10:58 AM
    Remember, this is a family-friendly board, so lets keep it clean.

I know a bunch of the girls here work as phone operators for adult chat lines and from what I read of their (very long) thread, they're doing a fine job, making good money, and are really helpful in encouraging others who are interested in the same.

I'm just curious as to whether any boys or girls on here would consider appearing or performing in "adult films"?
    What considerations would affect your decision (assuming there was no wierd stuff)?
    What sort of rate of pay would you expect?
    Would you expect royalties? How does that work?
    Would you feel more comfortable in your own home? on a set? in a rented room?
    Apart from the obvious, what might put you off?
    (please, no silly answers, this is a genuine query)

Before anyone goes mental, I don't have a "special film company", or any kind of financial interest in this market at all. I'm just curious.

MODS: I checked the rules, and this doesn't seem to break any of them, but please (re)move this and PM me if you feel its not appropriate...
    Last edited by wireframe; 24-06-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Page 7
  • bee11
    [QUOTE=samantha butt;60292181]
    From the Q&As on the sites I have looked at, these companies don't recruit men.

Men have to pay the women for it, so they arent going to get the women paying them. IF you asked 200 women to do dirty chat with a man they do not know most would refuse, even if you offered to pay, so where do you get the idea the woman would pay you?
    Originally posted by skylight
    Gay men would call for men...
    In need of extra ...and failing
  • OnewhoKnows
    Signed up specially to clarify. I've worked for Chat Recruit for 2 yrs - very good. Minimum log-on is 10hrs/week (Level 1) earning 10p/min of chat hold time before 10pm & 12p/min after, so best to work later if poss. Pay per min increases by 1p every 3mins up to 12mins, so chatting 12mins+ earns 14p/min before 10pm or 16p/min after. Level 2 works 30hrs+/week at 12p/min basic to 18p/min after 10pm for holding 12mins+. A good week earns me over 100 for 30hrs BUT days vary. One day, no calls for over an hour. Another, worked over 3hrs, earned less than 5! Evens out across the week - stick with it! No-one directs the calls, as a previous poster suggested. They're computer-generated to who's free - 25 girls may be working. Guys listen to voice profiles & choose one they like. The nicer the voice, the better you'll do. I have 'em queuing to chat to me! Also, you can give them your own 4-digit xtn so they call you direct next time. My regular callers chat for up to an hour & not always about sex btw. Get cut off (a safe-spend precaution) & then call me back! I found this forum cos I'm still searching for that elusive higher rate - does someone really earn 1/min?! (I'd only have to work one day!). It IS harder than it sounds - need loads of confidence & personality - but sound happy & treat everyone as an old friend & you'll do well. Aim for 12hrs/week at 5/day minimum & you won't be disappointed. Hope this info helps someone who's thinking about it. Good luck!
  • Ree36
    I too (like OnewhoKnows) signed up to clarify. Due to desperation and no money, after it being suggested, I finally succumbed to the temptation of working on a chatline.

I agree the programme on Channel 4 "glamourises" the "reality" and I find it extremely difficult to believe that anybody can earn the amounts suggested.

I started on 4 May 2013 (a week ago yesterday). I was paid 46.75 (less an initial 10 set up fee) on Friday 10 May. This covered calls carried out on Sat 4/Sun 5 May 2013.

I set up a spreadsheet myself to calculate call duration, average, expected wages and I was within 2p of what I actually received.

This week to date I have been logged in the minimum of 25 hrs. And calculated I have earned 111 (with 5 hours logged in time left)

I get calls asking if I can do certain hours by different supervisors. If I say No then that is that. My only advice would be to be honest about what hours/when you can work.

In summary I echo everything OnewhoKnows has said. Its not a scam but you wont become a millionaire. But on ESA and permitted work you can earn 95.50 before your benefits will be affected.

Go for it! I did!!
  • lauz8726
    does anyone know a site where you can just chat online from a pc?i wouldnt like to do the phone chat but i could type,no problem. thanks in advance x
    • carmelbrulez
    • By carmelbrulez 15th May 13, 2:05 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    carmelbrulez
    the truth
    I think that was some exaggeration about the amount of money they got paid. One woman claimed she earned 500 a night, yet was doing her own decorating between telephone calls, and using Tesco Value emulsion on her tiny little basic kitchenette!

That was a put up job if I ever I saw one. Those sex chat operators earn peanuts....
    Originally posted by breadlinebetty
    Brownlinebetty is quite right. I saw this show too. It was clear this woman was not earning much from the size and state of her home. If she could earn that much in an evening she would not bother to work every day. If it was possible to earn 500 an evening everyone would be doing it and these places would not be desperately trying to find staff. This woman was earning peanuts and she was on a huge ego trip. She is also advertising that for peanuts she will teach women how to be good at this themselves. She is hardly going to give up 100 an hour doing this to work for a lot less doing that if it is busy and pays well. When a client pays 1.53 a minute much of that goes on VAT, advertising, marketing etc. And no guy would pay 1.53 a minute as most of the lines only charge 20 pence a minute. Why would any guy pay 1.53 a minute when he can get the same thing for 20 pence a minute? Use some sense.
    • carmelbrulez
    • By carmelbrulez 15th May 13, 2:07 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    carmelbrulez
    Have you thought this through?
    You would have to be glued to your computer for hours before you received a "text" and then you only get about 20 pence at the most if you text back. You have to text back quickly and there are hours inbetween that one and the next one. You cannot go out, you cannot go and sit in the garden or sit chatting to a friend. So unless you are on the computer anyway and you know you will be alone in that is a huge sacrifice for maybe 1 in a whole day.
    • carmelbrulez
    • By carmelbrulez 15th May 13, 2:14 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    carmelbrulez
    No-one directs the calls, as a previous poster suggested. They're computer-generated to who's free - 25 girls may be working.

A lot of the guys do not care who they speak to , they do not want to spend money on listening to the various introduction tapes, so the computer will then put it through to whoever has the best call hold rates. If your last call was a very long one you will get another call very quickly because the computer has put you to the front of the queue waiting for calls.
    • carmelbrulez
    • By carmelbrulez 15th May 13, 2:16 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    carmelbrulez
    Aim for 12hrs/week at 5/day minimum & you won't be disappointed.

Your figures are about right. But nobody is going to give up a proper job or stay in and resist going out for a nice long walk, visiting friends or doing something fun for a whole twelve hours in the hope of getting five pounds. This is why these companies have such a lot of trouble in getting and keeping staff. One reason some of them charge you a sign up fee is because 80% who start doing this get fed up with staying in and want to stop after a short time.
    • carmelbrulez
    • By carmelbrulez 15th May 13, 2:18 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    carmelbrulez
    does someone really earn 1/min?! (I'd only have to work one day!).

Be realistic. No guy is going to pay 1 a minute when there are plenty of lines where it is 20 pence a minute. This is a fantasy.
    And they also forgot to mention that most of that went on advertising, marketing, the website, tax and vat.
  • Urban_Hippy
    Can someone pm links to a company please?
  • gemgemz
    does someone really earn 1/min?! (I'd only have to work one day!).

Be realistic. No guy is going to pay 1 a minute when there are plenty of lines where it is 20 pence a minute. This is a fantasy.
    And they also forgot to mention that most of that went on advertising, marketing, the website, tax and vat.
    Originally posted by carmelbrulez
    If you don't work for one of the many chatline companies, but set up yourself, either by getting a premium rate number from BT, or using one of the sites which takes a commission off your earnings, 1 per min is achievable although not, I would imagine, easy to come by.

Adultwork is one of the sites. A few years ago, this kind of money was easily earned, although I believe the site now has many more members offering services than buying them!

Of course you have to have a good profile, pay to plug yourself on the site and bear in mind they take around 30% commission off your earnings, but if you're working for a company that pays 9p/min and charges the caller even 35p/min, you're already looking at more money.

I have a friend who is a supervisor of a chatline company, she tells me, the number of calls coming in are still drastically reducing, and another who does web cam work on adultwork who is making a decent amount (can't comment on the number of phone calls they get nowadays though).

Gem
  • karenjkayjay
    earning
    I have just been offered a job on a sex text site, as it is classed as self employed how do I go about sorting tax and national insurance? Could anyone help please
    • Cybi-Ping
    • By Cybi-Ping 11th Nov 13, 4:46 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    Cybi-Ping
    I have just been offered a job on a sex text site, as it is classed as self employed how do I go about sorting tax and national insurance? Could anyone help please
    Originally posted by karenjkayjay
    You need to register as self-employed with HMRC within three months but as soon as possible really. It's a pretty simple process.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/register-selfemp.htm
    • daniellaoxox
    • By daniellaoxox 14th Nov 13, 3:24 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    daniellaoxox
    I'm interested in doing this, any one know any good companies to work for and how it actually works, eg how payment is made etc?
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 16th Nov 13, 2:22 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    timmichael time
  • cppeace
    Hi, I know this is old but I don't get why you folks think some can't make $1.50 a minute? My friend Katie makes around $2.00 a minute and the company she works for charges $4-$5 a minute. She does this part time (20-30 hours a week) and makes $200-$300 a week. She and the company is usa based though.
    • RacyRed
    • By RacyRed 12th Oct 15, 11:10 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 9,254 Thanks
    RacyRed
    It is interesting to read what is happening in the USA. If someone is earning at that level, well done.

But it does make me wonder why so many ladies from the US are working for UK chat lines now and making a lot less than the minimum wage.

It is no longer possible to make a living wage easily as a PSO. The companies who once struggled to recruit, and paid well to attract operators, are now flooded with women wanting to work on the lines. Pay rates and call volumes reflect this and are now very poor.

New PSOs can expect to make a reasonable amount in the first few weeks while they are new. The callers then move on to the next batch of new girls and incomes drop substantially.

The supermarkets are paying better these days.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    • sexybabygirl
    • By sexybabygirl 7th Apr 16, 2:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sexybabygirl
    how
    Hey hun what site is that ? Im intrested
    • amberf
    • By amberf 5th Aug 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amberf
    Working on a chatline
    Hi could anyone tell me which company pays the best for work as an adult phone line operator/host please? Need to boost my income - single mum supporting an ever growing teenager! thank you
    Last edited by amberf; 05-08-2017 at 5:00 PM. Reason: more specific
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 4th Sep 17, 7:04 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Also what reputable text agencies are there?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

416Posts Today

2,474Users online

Martin's Twitter