Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 2nd Apr 15, 12:03 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: EE unveils portable smartphone chargers to replace 'Orange Wednesdays'
    • 2nd Apr 15, 12:03 PM
    MSE News: EE unveils portable smartphone chargers to replace 'Orange Wednesdays' 2nd Apr 15 at 12:03 PM
    EE customers will soon be able to charge their mobiles on the go as it launches part two of its reward deal...

Read the full story:

EE unveils portable smartphone chargers to replace 'Orange Wednesdays'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 14-04-2015 at 4:46 PM.
Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 2nd Apr 15, 12:15 PM
    • 51,910 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 2nd Apr 15, 12:15 PM
    • 2nd Apr 15, 12:15 PM
    I

No way can it cost even close to £20.
    For £20ish you can get a proper ~20000mAh power bank.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • Tony5101
    • By Tony5101 2nd Apr 15, 12:31 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Tony5101
    • 2nd Apr 15, 12:31 PM
    • 2nd Apr 15, 12:31 PM
    As more phones get wireless charging capabilities, it would be good to see charging tables/pads in stores too (similar to Starbucks etc)
    Personally I'm quite happy with my Oppo phone with VOOC charging...so never run out of juice
    Last edited by Tony5101; 23-04-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    • d123
    • By d123 2nd Apr 15, 8:33 PM
    • 8,096 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    d123
    • 2nd Apr 15, 8:33 PM
    • 2nd Apr 15, 8:33 PM
    MSE News: EE unveils portable smartphone chargers to replace 'Orange Wednesdays'

EE customers will soon be able to charge their mobiles on the go as it launches part two of its reward deal...

Read the full story:

EE unveils portable smartphone chargers to replace 'Orange Wednesdays'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    Where do these made up stories come from? EE made no mention of this as being a replacement scheme for Orange Wednesdays.

Why the need to make up things just to make a better headline?

Here's the actual EE press release:

London, 2 April 2015 – EE, the UK’s most advanced digital communications company, has announced the launch of EE Power – a free portable smartphone charger with unlimited swaps in store – available to all active* customers on mobile and broadband plans in the coming weeks. The innovative scheme is designed to ensure that EE customers stay charged at all times with ‘never ending power’. EE Power is the latest initiative to demonstrate the brand’s commitment to reward all new and existing customers and forms part of EE’s plan to become the number one network for service.

From launch, EE customers will be able to pick up a free Power Bar in any EE store by requesting a unique code via text. Once the EE Power Bar has been used to charge a device, customers can recharge the portable battery themselves or, if out and about, they can swap it for a fully-charged replacement bar at any EE store nationwide – for free and as many times as they like.

It has been just over two years since EE introduced 4G to the UK and network usage has grown exponentially in this short period. Video streaming and social media engagement now accounts for over 50 per cent of all data use on EE’s network as customers access more content on the move. However, this increased activity comes at a cost to battery life and recent research2 shows that there is a genuine consumer need for more power –

Nearly 60 per cent of UK smartphone users claim their battery doesn’t last a full day
    Over half of all smartphone users wish there were more ways to charge their phone in public places - this rises to over 70 per cent of 18-24 year olds
    Pippa Dunn, Chief Marketing Officer EE, said: “Almost everyone’s experienced the frustration associated with running out of battery and it always seems to happen when you need your phone the most. With EE Power, we’re trying to help by giving our customers a Power Bar that can simply be swapped for a fully charged one at any of our stores, at any time, for free.”

All eligible* customers, including small business and corporate customers, can get their free EE Power Bar when the promotion launches in the coming weeks by texting ‘POWER’ to 365 to receive a promotional code. Texts cost 35p and customers can collect their free EE Power Bar by redeeming this code at any EE store across the UK. Each Power Bar typically gives one full smartphone charge per use.
    http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2015/04/02/ee-gives-power-to-the-people-a-free-power-bar-for-all-customers
    ====
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 2nd Apr 15, 9:05 PM
    • 51,910 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 2nd Apr 15, 9:05 PM
    • 2nd Apr 15, 9:05 PM
    ...customers... can get their free EE Power Bar .... by texting ‘POWER’ to 365 to receive a promotional code. Texts cost 35p
    by EE
    I just like how they call it 'free'.
    35p isn't a lot, but definitely makes it not 'free'.

• Swipe
    • By Swipe 2nd Apr 15, 10:31 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    Swipe
    • 2nd Apr 15, 10:31 PM
    • 2nd Apr 15, 10:31 PM
    Not a bad deal for 35p
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 2nd Apr 15, 11:19 PM
    • 6,449 Posts
    • 12,982 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 2nd Apr 15, 11:19 PM
    • 2nd Apr 15, 11:19 PM
    Does the power charger project the movie of your choice onto the wall, whilst providing popcorn and coke for purchase.

If not its a bit of a strange replacement isnt it lol
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 3rd Apr 15, 3:55 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 3rd Apr 15, 3:55 PM
    • 3rd Apr 15, 3:55 PM
    Film Store/Orange Wednesday is dead!

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/entertainment-add-ons/film-add-ons-and-benefits

Long Live Film Club!

http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2015/03/17/ee-film-club-launches-a-blockbuster-film-every-week-for-all-customers-for-just-1

How to Register for Film Club:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/entertainment-add-ons/film-add-ons-and-benefits

If the Power Bar is the successor to Orange Wednesday, what is Film Club? Film Club even works in the same way, where you register your phone, and get a voucher code by texting.

I hear marketing "Creatives" get high to get ideas. They smoked one puff too many this time.
    Last edited by Pincher; 03-04-2015 at 3:59 PM.
    • d123
    • By d123 4th Apr 15, 1:27 PM
    • 8,096 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    d123
    • 4th Apr 15, 1:27 PM
    • 4th Apr 15, 1:27 PM
    Film Store/Orange Wednesday is dead!

Long Live Film Club!

http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2015/03/17/ee-film-club-launches-a-blockbuster-film-every-week-for-all-customers-for-just-1

How to Register for Film Club:

If the Power Bar is the successor to Orange Wednesday, what is Film Club? Film Club even works in the same way, where you register your phone, and get a voucher code by texting.

I hear marketing "Creatives" get high to get ideas. They smoked one puff too many this time.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Looking at the MoneySupermarket adverts I can well believe that, perhaps the same creative "geniuses" were involved with this headline as well .
    ====
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 4th Apr 15, 3:01 PM
    • 9,808 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    My wife has a PAYG SIM on Orange (very rarely used - average 20p / month over last 13 years on an old Nokia 3110) is she entitled to a power bar for free ?
    • d123
    • By d123 4th Apr 15, 9:53 PM
    • 8,096 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    d123
    My wife has a PAYG SIM on Orange (very rarely used - average 20p / month over last 13 years on an old Nokia 3110) is she entitled to a power bar for free ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    I would say yes, they say all EE customers.

*We are making EE Power and Power Bars available to all EE Customers with a 30 day, 12, 18 or 24 month plan, whether for mobile or fixed line and broadband services. Pay As You Go customers can also participate, however, before qualifying for the offer they must have been with us for at least three months. Terms & conditions apply.
    ====
    • F1Fan
    • By F1Fan 15th Apr 15, 10:00 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    F1Fan
    I'm a bit confused. On the Facebook site for EE someone asked if it is for Orange customers to? and they got a reply back saying "This offer is free to all EE customers, however you can purchase one for £20."
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 15th Apr 15, 11:37 AM
    • 51,910 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    grumbler
    I guess they employ failed politicians to their CS.
    Last edited by grumbler; 15-04-2015 at 12:10 PM.

• renifer7
    • By renifer7 15th Apr 15, 11:47 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    renifer7
    I'm a bit confused. On the Facebook site for EE someone asked if it is for Orange customers to? and they got a reply back saying "This offer is free to all EE customers, however you can purchase one for £20."
    Originally posted by F1Fan
    Have just read the conversation under their FB post:

• EE Yes Stewart, T-Mobile and Orange customers are eligible ^AB
    I do agree it's not clear at all though unless you get to that post.

Must...remember...cashback......
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 15th Apr 15, 11:49 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Originally posted by F1Fan

From the MSE news article.

Am I eligible to get the power bar?

"All EE, Orange and T-Mobile customers with a 30 day, 12 month, 18 month or 24 month mobile, tablet or broadband plan can get the power bar for free."
    Last edited by Pincher; 15-04-2015 at 1:24 PM.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 15th Apr 15, 12:01 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Landline broadband gets free Power Bar
    http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2015/04/02/ee-gives-power-to-the-people-a-free-power-bar-for-all-customers

Notes to editors:
    About EE Power & Power Bars
    *We are making EE Power and Power Bars available to all EE Customers with a 30 day, 12, 18 or 24 month plan, whether for mobile or fixed line and broadband services. Pay As You Go customers can also participate, however, before qualifying for the offer they must have been with us for at least three months. Terms & conditions apply.

To obtain the free to hire Power Bar, mobile customers must text POWER to 365. Broadband customers must text JOIN plus your EE landline number to 60005 and follow the instructions provided. Texts cost 35p. This mechanism is required to enable EE to (i) verify the customer is an existing customer; and (ii) provide a redemption code that customers provide to our retail agents when collecting the Power Bar.

The problem is, when I tried to register with EE Film Club, by sending JOIN 0208xxxnnnn to 88141, it just keep coming back with number not recognised. Had to call EE to register me manually. I expect the same thing to happen with 60005.
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 15th Apr 15, 6:35 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    Swipe
    The offer starts tomorrow (16th) apparently.
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 15th Apr 15, 9:45 PM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 4,183 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Does anyone know how long you have to claim it, assuming it starts tomorrow and isn't just on for the day?
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 15th Apr 15, 10:53 PM
    • 3,518 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    I just like how they call it 'free'.
    35p isn't a lot, but definitely makes it not 'free'.
    Originally posted by grumbler
    This is the mobile phone industry, Grumbler. Didn't you know that only they are allowed to call things free as long as you pay an inflated price for something else?

Does anyone know how long you have to claim it, assuming it starts tomorrow and isn't just on for the day?
    Originally posted by Beckyy
    Probably just under 3 months, ensuring that those of us intending to join EE to benefit from the 3-month minimum PAYG qualifying period miss out.
    (OK, so I'm cynical.)
    • MattHawkins
    • By MattHawkins 16th Apr 15, 12:04 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    MattHawkins
    2600mAh power banks do not cost £20. I would expect a 10,000-15,000mAh battery for that.

A 2600mAh battery will be costing EE about 50p given the quantities they will be buying.

Still a great offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter