🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Ryan_Futuristics
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    Ablrate is typically offering 10-12%, it seems, for loans secured on physical assets like aircraft and plant. There are other good options out there, the P2P Independent Forum has lots more on this subject and if you're taking P2P seriously you should visit the place and learn more rather than just using the best known names.

I'll certainly look into it

For me the biggest risk seems to be platform risk ... Funding Circle is just a platform to connect you with borrowers - they could be the same borrowers you'd find on any other platform

But as with any new paradigm, I expect a lot of the smaller platforms will dissolve - leaving one or two large platforms controlling the market ... As happened with Amazon, eBay, Facebook, and just about anything online

Funding Circle is as well regulated and scrutinised as the other big two platforms, while when I look up things like Thin Cats, I find very little impartial information

It also handles 10s of £millions of government investments ... For me, the platform is what you're really investing in, because you don't want to be stuck with 5 year loan repayments on a platform that's not going to stick around and ensure you get them
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, platform risks are substantial but I think that the variety of investments and treatments leaves room for more than just a couple of platforms even in the UK. Even if not, the FCA requirements mean that the invested money should be safe and there are likely to be opportunities to exploit before and as the market develops. I have the impression that you'd enjoy finding and exploiting those opportunities.

So far as income tax and bad debt goes, Zopa's previous model and Bondora are simple debts with deductions for bad debt banned by law at present. For FC I'm less familiar with the situation but I think that aent69 is essentially correct because while the losses can be deducted from CGT liability few people have CGT liability so in practice the potential relief normally ends up being lost. Which is of course part of why there's been a campaign to get this changed. It's also part of why some platforms introduced protection funds, which become significantly less attractive if the change of law to allow interest deductibility of losses incurred after April happens. If, because a future government may choose not to proceed with this change.
  • agent69
    agent69 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You're doing your maths in a silly order .

You don't seem to understand that this is the way it works for the vast majority of people. Income tax gets deducted on the whole of your interest earned before bad debt is considered. The higher the rate of tax you pay the more important it is to only invest in the low risk loans.

Hopefully this will get changed in the budget. Also (hopefully) we will be getting a P2P ISA by the third quarter of next year, assuming it doesn't get chopped by whoever wins the next election.

In the majority of cases platform risk shouldn't be an issue because you are lending direct to the person / business, not to the platform. I believe that the latest regulations brought in by the government strengthened the requirement for lenders to continue receiving payments if the platform goes t*ts up.
  • Ryan_Futuristics
    Options
    agent69 wrote: »
    You don't seem to understand that this is the way it works for the vast majority of people. Income tax gets deducted on the whole of your interest earned before bad debt is considered. The higher the rate of tax you pay the more important it is to only invest in the low risk loans.

Hopefully this will get changed in the budget. Also (hopefully) we will be getting a P2P ISA by the third quarter of next year, assuming it doesn't get chopped by whoever wins the next election.

In the majority of cases platform risk shouldn't be an issue because you are lending direct to the person / business, not to the platform. I believe that the latest regulations brought in by the government strengthened the requirement for lenders to continue receiving payments if the platform goes t*ts up.

Well you don't have to lend to C- rated businesses ... You've created a worst case scenario where you're only lending to the riskiest firms, at a below average rate, paying high rate tax, and not claiming any tax relief

Here's what a lot of investors don't realise:
    Unlike peer to peer lending where individuals lend to other individuals, relief from Capital Gains Tax may be available on loans which become irrecoverable at Funding Circle.

https://support.fundingcircle.com/entries/22557912-What-are-the-tax-consequences-of-lending-as-an-individual-

But it's a fair point that if you are a higher rate tax payer, you could consider either avoiding higher-risk firms or put your rates up to compensate

Platform risk still seems like the biggest risk to me - I know borrowers are still in contract, but without the platform there to chase bad debts, you could just be left with hundreds of tiny outstanding loans and a long list of telephone numbers

Savers risk big losses at peer-to-peer start-ups

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/savings/10245839/Savers-risk-big-losses-at-peer-to-peer-start-ups.html
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Here's what a lot of investors don't realise:

Unlike peer to peer lending where individuals lend to other individuals, relief from Capital Gains Tax may be available on loans which become irrecoverable at Funding Circle.

Yes, but as others have pointed out above, there aren't many of us who have capital gains tax liability year after year, so this is a largely worthless relief. Hopefully it will get sorted. I fancy investing in P2P but I'll hold off until it's ISA-able.

I see FC demonstrate their estimated return calculation here:

https://www.fundingcircle.com/investors/current-estimated-return
  • Ryan_Futuristics
    Options
    TCA wrote: »
    Yes, but as others have pointed out above, there aren't many of us who have capital gains tax liability year after year, so this is a largely worthless relief. Hopefully it will get sorted. I fancy investing in P2P but I'll hold off until it's ISA-able.

I see FC demonstrate their estimated return calculation here:

https://www.fundingcircle.com/investors/current-estimated-return

The way I understand it is tax on unrecoverable loans *is* taxed as capital gains ... But an unrecoverable loan can be classed as an allowable capital loss ...?

Personally my predicted earnings across most risk bands are 8.8%, so it may make sense to un-tick the C (maybe even B) bands, and keep defaults bellow 1.6%

The other thing of course is defaults aren't immediate - the 5% figure may involve a loan that's been 90% repaid first (as they're repaid monthly) ... So I assume simply subtracting the default rate from the income doesn't give you a proper total, and makes the issue look much worse than it is

The perspective I think people need is that these are junk bond yields with almost no known risk to capital (we're worrying about a theoretical worst case in which you only return 1.7% after tax)

That wouldn't even be a memorably bad year for plenty of bond funds
  • agent69
    agent69 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The way I understand it is tax on unrecoverable loans *is* taxed as capital gains ... But an unrecoverable loan can be classed as an allowable capital loss ...?

Personally my predicted earnings across most risk bands are 8.8%, so it may make sense to un-tick the C (maybe even B) bands, and keep defaults bellow 1.6%

The other thing of course is defaults aren't immediate - the 5% figure may involve a loan that's been 90% repaid first (as they're repaid monthly) ... So I assume simply subtracting the default rate from the income doesn't give you a proper total, and makes the issue look much worse than it is

The perspective I think people need is that these are junk bond yields with almost no known risk to capital (we're worrying about a theoretical worst case in which you only return 1.7% after tax)

That wouldn't even be a memorably bad year for plenty of bond funds

You continue to peddle misinformation as fact. If we look at some of the statements you have made in this thread:

On Funding Circle, you're not actually liable to pay tax on bad debt – yes you are

Funding Circle loans go from 1 year to 5 years, but with all of these you can withdraw cash at any time for a small fee – no you can’t. Getting your money out of a P2P platform is something you need to consider before you start lending. You can only sell your FC loan parts for a small fee if you can find somebody to buy them at par. If you’re buying A+ using autobid at 8.8%, there’s no way they will sell at par, because there are pages of other A+ loans on offer at far higher rates. You will need to discount them to achieve a sale and this will result in a loss.

You're doing your maths in a silly order – no, I’m doing the maths in the order that the government requires

You've created a worst case scenario – no I haven’t. The 1.7% quoted is the average return for a higher rate tax payer who invests in a C- loan (based on RS estimated default rates)

You could just be left with hundreds of tiny outstanding loans and a long list of telephone numbers – No you won’t. Legislation brought in earlier this year requires platforms to have a procedure in place for the debts to be collected and disbursed by others if they go pop.

Savers risk big losses at peer-to-peer start-ups – the telegraph article is 16 months old and a lot of water has gone under the P2P bridge since then. I would have thought it was common sense that you don’t lend a shed load of cash to any unsecured company who has only just started operating.

FC defaults aren’t immediate – They can be. Some have defaulted without making a single payment, lots of others have defaulted after only one or two payments.

The 5% figure may involve a loan that's been 90% repaid first – no it doesn’t. The 5% is the FC estimate of the annual default rate for a C- loan. If you look on their site you will see that there are a separate set of default rates quoted for the whole life of the loan. These default rates can be in double figures.

So I assume simply subtracting the default rate from the income doesn't give you a proper total – yes it does. Best not to assume if you don’t know the facts.

These are junk bond yields with almost no known risk to capital – how do you work that out? I lent £40 to a scrap metal dealer who defaulted after one repayment. I lost £39 of my capital, and there is no prospect pf getting any of it back.

We're worrying about a theoretical worst case in which you only return 1.7% after tax – it’s not the worst case, it’s the average case. Some will do better, some will do worse.

You don't seem to know much about how Funding Circle works – I wouldn’t claim to be an expert, but I it looks like I might know a bit more than you.

It may make sense to un-tick the C (maybe even B) bands – I think this is the only thing we agree on
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    No harm in increasing my returns by a few points....... http://www.quidco.com/zopa/ have a £45 cashback, can that be bettered? Whats the best referral/cashback available with Ratesetter.

Planning to invest a few grand in each just to dip my toe in the water and spread my risk......sensible? Is that what the regulars do?
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Ryan_Futuristics
    Options
    agent69 wrote: »
    You continue to peddle misinformation as fact. If we look at some of the statements you have made in this thread:

On Funding Circle, you're not actually liable to pay tax on bad debt – yes you are

I don't think we've quite cleared that one up ... What I'm reading in that link is that unrecoverable business loans can be classified as allowable capital loss, and therefore not subject to capital gains tax

Re: selling loans - if I have to sell an 8.8% A+ loan for 7%, that's absolutely fine by me

Re: worst case scenario - 1.7% from a C- loan would be a scenario in which they'd all defaulted without making any repayments (and it's still better than a savings account)

As for the platform risk, my question is: Who's going to do the chasing when the platform's down and there's a lot of money to collect?

It's never happened before, so it's an unknown ... The businesses are legally obliged to continue making repayments, but you're not going to get debt collectors chasing up half a million £8 loans ... Trust that the government has set up such a robust system it could never fail us? ... You're alone on that one
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 January 2015 at 7:18PM
    Options
    I don't think we've quite cleared that one up ... What I'm reading in that link is that unrecoverable business loans can be classified as allowable capital loss, and therefore not subject to capital gains

Capital losses are only any good if you have capital gains to set them off against. i.e. gains exceeding the capital gains tax allowance. The interest earned via P2P lending is still subject to income tax, with no deduction for bad debts.

That's my reading of it. See excerpt below:

http://www.lendingworks.co.uk/blog-post/quick-guide-paying-tax-p2p-income

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has confirmed with HMRC that the amount you are required to declare to HMRC is the full amount of interest arising in the tax year. This means the gross amount of interest paid under the loan agreement without any deductions for any fees or charges imposed by the platform or other party. However, because of a previous misunderstanding over whether the interest to be declared was gross or net of platform fees, HMRC will allow investors/lenders to declare the amount of interest income they receive net of fees until the end of the 2014/15 tax year.

Therefore, the amount you will need to declare as income on your tax return is:

Until 5 April 2015: Gross interest received, minus any platform fees
    From 6 April 2015: Gross interest received

Unfortunately, current UK tax law does not allow bad debts (i.e. borrower defaults) to be offset against income.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure