MSE News: No more 'not-spots': mobile networks agree to improve coverage

Options
"The Government has reached a deal with the four mobile networks to improve coverage across the UK..."
Read the full story:

No more 'not-spots': mobile networks agree to improve coverage

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2014 at 8:42PM
    Options
    "No More Not Spots"

But the details say

"guaranteed voice and text coverage from each operator across 90% of the UK geographic area by 2017."

and

"number of areas that have coverage from all four mobile operators will increase from 69% to 85% by 2017."

So 85% is not equal to 100% (required for no more not spots)

Neither does the 90%.
  • ConsumerGuy0016
    Options
    Funny how this 'agreement' comes in place just a few months ahead of the General Elections.

Has the Government already forgot about the 'agreement' they made with operators to cap mobile phone bills by Spring 2014? We're in Winter 2014 and I'm still seeing unfortunate consumers racking up £10,000+ phone bills at the hands of unscrupulous phone thieves, and then being forced to pay by mobile phone operators 'because the T&Cs say so'

More Hogwash from the Government.
  • 6_6_6
    6_6_6 Posts: 65 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2014 at 4:39AM
    Options
    Sorry was that a misprint or have they really forgot the most important aspect... mobile data? If you have 3G / 4G connectivity, voice connectivity will be a given. As far as radio reception goes, for most people its data that is in dire need of a boost. As for SMS, its a dieing service and sooner its relegated to the archives of time the better. Why are they talking about SMS when they need to be focusing on 4G everywhere 99%. What a mess!

anonymous bittorrent free: http://www.tribler.org
    Collect your reward :j
    V0xOT09PV1RFR0FFTUNFQkUyRURFVU5VQU9JQUNSTU9JMFIxTE9ZUllSWUJOSEtQRURTWCU=
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    6_6_6 wrote: »
    Why are they talking about SMS when they need to be focusing on 4G everywhere 99%.

3g everywhere would maybe be a start ... and don't get me started on rural broadband speeds :mad:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Obviously there will be some sort of data connection - 2G EDGE to 4G LTE.

The UK's coverage is appalling compared with the likes of Sweden or Finland.

In Finland, networks have even begun to discontinue rural landlines in large parts of the country due to sufficient coverage and data speed via 3G/4G!
    Sorry was that a misprint or have they really forgot the most important aspect... mobile data? If you have 3G / 4G connectivity, voice connectivity will be a given. As far as radio reception goes, for most people its data that is in dire need of a boost. As for SMS, its a dying service and sooner its relegated to the archives of time the better. Why are they talking about SMS when they need to be focusing on 4G everywhere 99%. What a mess!
  • Mercenary
    Options
    <snip> As for SMS, its a dieing service and sooner its relegated to the archives of time the better. Why are they talking about SMS when they need to be focusing on 4G everywhere <snip>

I hope SMS is not dying as that is the main quick communication method that my family uses. We don't do phone calls unless absolutely necessary & they cost more than a quick text even on Three PAYG.

Only people with a 4G capable phone and possibly a large data contract could assume we would all like to be forced into having the same thing :eek: . Thanks but no thanks.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    I absolutely agree. Texts are alive and kicking in my business.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also I would like mobile operators to stop relying on their coverage maps when customers want to cancel as their signal is poor.

A few years back, I was with O2 and I lived with my ex and the coverage everywhere was excellent.

Five months into my renewing my phone and contract, me and my ex split up and I moved back to my parents 100 miles away. I could get a very weak signal and the calls died. O2 were sticking to their guns saying how very good the coverage is in the village where I was. They refused to cancel my contract.
  • rpm55
    Options
    Surely a far better solution would be that no mobile operator owns any mast but pays a fee to a third party for this (and their use/maintenance etc.) and every operator and, more importantly, every user can use every and any mast. This is especially useful in rural areas where there are generally lower user numbers but still properly covers the whole county without an array of different masts on every high building/structure for just a few users. Therefore no single operator bears the cost of a mast being placed in an area where they have few customers but where all the customers of all the operators amounts to quite a reasonable number and therefore warrants a mast.

Even in major cities, it is annoying that, in a small area, with an individual operator one can get little or no signal whilst obtains good signal with another operator.

Not unlike the trains tracks operated under one organisation and the actual trains operate under other companies.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 December 2014 at 3:32PM
    Options
    There used to more 3g coverage here than there is now.

I don't see why the government should be mug enough subsidising 2 of the networks restoring coverage that they deliberately removed 6 and 3 years ago.

If this is because of an election looming, it's not likely to swing many votes.

If it's only so that Cameron can get coverage on the beach on holiday, he's important enough and rich enough to have a satellite phone as well. Once you've got a phone - which will be cheaper than certain smartphones - the monthly usage can be quite modestly priced
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure