We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car Written Off - No insurance pay out

Options

Comments

• uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    harrys_dad wrote: »
    Four years, the accident happened in 2010! The finance goes until 2016! Seems a long time for a finance agreement.

Can you answer some of the questions in the thread please OP.

Funny, I was just wondering on the finance term and time since accident; it set my bull**** detector off :)
  • Shaolin_Monkey
    Options
    1) You can always challenge an insurance company's decision. Normally this is done by a complaint in the first instance and then if that is not successful you must either go to the FOS or to the courts. The problem is that the FOS have a 6 month limit on complaints and you say this was 4 years ago!!

I believe the FOS time limit is six months from the date of the insurers final decision letter (following a complaint being made). The final decision letter should give the complainant information about how to refer it to FOS if they are unsatisfied with the outcome of the complaint. It's not six months following the actual event in question. This is an important distinction.

If no complaint has been made to the insurer yet then potentially one could still be made and it could still be referred to FOS. I believe that complaints can be made up to 6 years after the event in question, without a risk of the complaint being time barred by the insurer.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/businesses/answers/before_we_get_involved_a7.html
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe the FOS time limit is six months from the date of the insurers final decision letter (following a complaint being made). The final decision letter should give the complainant information about how to refer it to FOS if they are unsatisfied with the outcome of the complaint. It's not six months following the actual event in question. This is an important distinction.

If no complaint has been made to the insurer yet then potentially one could still be made and it could still be referred to FOS. I believe that complaints can be made up to 6 years after the event in question, without a risk of the complaint being time barred by the insurer.

It will depend if the insurer ever registered a complaint at the time of the incident.

I'd assume that the OP didnt say that they were happy with the situation and so certainly some insurers do register even very minor quibbles as a complaint (arguably as it starts the FOS clock running)
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like a classic case of fronting to me OP and I can see why the insurance company have got the hump. I think what has shot your case down is you say you were waiting for your finances to improve but you were paying for the car so it looks very much as if the insurance was the only problem. Much better to have had the policy in your name and your father as a named driver, that would have reduced it considerably and been perfectly acceptable.

This.

The fact you were paying for the car says it was your car and you were fronting just to get the policy down.

However - if you can show there was a regular payment, from your dad, to cover the cost of the finance charges, you should be able to challenge the assumption of you paying for the car and therefore being the main driver.

To be honest though it sounds like young kid buys car, gets dad to insure it as it is cheaper, smashes it up on a country road as ego is greater than talent, gets found out.

that's certianyl what it will have looked like to the insurer so you'd need a lot of evidence to get that over turned.

You might be owing dad a hell of an apology when he realises he has to declare cancelled insurance too.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    uknick wrote: »
    Funny, I was just wondering on the finance term and time since accident; it set my bull**** detector off :)

Or it's just a typo.

Geeze
    Why's everybody assumed to be a troll nowadays
  • Inch_High_2
    Inch_High_2 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Or it's just a typo.

Geeze
    Why's everybody assumed to be a troll nowadays

Ooops uknick, you've upset the forum police.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,487 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fivetide wrote: »

To be honest though it sounds like young kid buys car, gets dad to insure it as it is cheaper, smashes it up on a country road as ego is greater than talent, gets found out.

that's certianyl what it will have looked like to the insurer so you'd need a lot of evidence to get that over turned.

^^^^
    THIS

Going to be hard to prove otherwise.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,487 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One thing i would ask is where are the remains of the car now?

Were they sold on?

If so that could lead to trouble with the finance company (over and above the fact you are supposed to keep the car in good repair whilst you are paying their car off)
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My first question to the OP would be...

"WHAT CAR WAS IT..?"

Id have £1 on it being something like Saxi VTR, or Focus RS etc...

Does a 65 yr old really drive an Evo X?
  • fedup321
    fedup321 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    my insurance once tried this.... i said using my sons credit card as mine was maxed due to house revamp is not thier problem its mine and his, he is a named driver and has a fair bit more cash than me some months.. they will do anything not to pay contact the ombudsman id say
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport