We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

completely lost - dual fuel

Options

Comments

• oldboy64
    oldboy64 Posts: 165 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2013 at 1:48PM
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    I thought SP offered a call back service?
    You can either just apply online or they used to push this service if there was any waiting when you called them.
    It saves you waiting and they call you back as soon as someone is available ... and that isn't a week later ;)

No, I tried that after lunch on Tuesday when I realised that it was available as one of those numbers they give you when they answer the phone - they said it would be 5hrs and 32 minutes to get a call back!!!!

I couldn't wait that long - I had to get to the bank before they closed to do something about them taking out the £120.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    oldboy64 wrote: »
    No, I tried that after lunch on Tuesday when I realised that it was available as one of those numbers they give you when they answer the phone - they said it would be 5hrs and 32 minutes to get a call back!!!!

So about 20 times quicker than you took to eventually call them :cool:
  • oldboy64
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    So about 20 times quicker than you took to eventually call them :cool:

No I called a total of 11 times. 6 during Monday and 5 on Tuesday.

I was kept waiting for 46 minutes on one of them and they still never answered!
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

If someone attempts to break through my front door what do you suggest I do - offer them a cup of tea?

Maybe open the door if they have a warrant that gives them the right of entry, it easier than ending up in court for common assault or possibly more.
  • oldboy64
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Maybe open the door if they have a warrant that gives them the right of entry, it easier than ending up in court for common assault or possibly more.

And you would do that?

So I go from being on a Social Tariff to prepayment meters in one easy go?

I wouldn't mind but the fuel account is over £200 in credit!

And you suggest that I just roll over and let them do exactly what they want.

Where are my rights in all of this?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Where are my rights in all of this?

You have none as by running to your bank and cancelling your direct debit instead of being patient and allowing Scottish Power to contact you and agreeing to adjust your payment you have brought it on yourself.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's what I thought I did. I told the bank that I am not willing to have £120 taken out of my account without proper notice and an explanation. The bank suggested that the way to go was to cancel the DD as they had no way of stopping payment and that it was a variable DD for any amount at Scottish Power's order.

There is no point in swapping as they are all charging the same give or take £50 a year. Plus after this episode I am very loathe to pay by DD in the future if I don't have any control over what goes out and when. It will be cash in future.

They cannot increase the DD without advising you first. You misunderstand the DD g'tee-if they take the money without pre-advising you, then the bank has to refund you immediately and then pursue the matter with the payee-nothing to do with you.
    Any form of payment other than DD will restrict your tariff options considerably.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 August 2013 at 3:14PM
    Options
    It's all very well telling the OP that they should have just asked the bank to re-call the raised £120 D/D, but this is a low income household who's current account may well have gone into deficit, who had only hours to act before the falsely increased D/D was taken from the bank and then would have to argrue with the bank about charges.

The OP has been seriously let down by SP and needs to WRITE a letter headed Complaint :
    Which lists the history of everything from the unexplained extended delivery time of the D/D uplift advisory letter, the then adjustment letter advising that the first demand was too high and then the cancellation of his current tariff because of the D/D cancellation, when in fact SP's tardy mailing times and incorrect demands had left a low income customer with no other choice to react other than they did - With the demand that they reinstate the original tariff
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Plus after this episode I am very loathe to pay by DD in the future if I don't have any control over what goes out and when. It will be cash in future.
    Unless the direct debit payment causes you to be overdrawn the amount, within reason, is irrelevant. If you overpay now you can underpay or request a refund in future. It makes no difference to the annual cost.
    We'll just have to see who wins and who backs down first.
    Keep us posted:)
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    SP have a call back service, I've used it and it works. How long it takes is irrelevant in the sense that their call back is quicker than you calling the phone jockey - and free. Ask for help from the SP rep [if ever they reappear] on here, and put your tail between your legs before you shoot your other foot off. Given your other thread you may not get back onto the SP social tariff, or any of their competitors social tariff. Your starter for ten in the hole you have made .. .. is to stop digging my friend.

Kick back, do nowt till Monday, then goto your e-account and request a call back, tell SP you are grief stricken because the budgie died without tweeting even a goodbye and your GP changed your prescription sending you 'do lally' over the last week. Tell them you are better now, apologise, ask for a payment plan of CAC ÷ 12 paid monthly via direct debit and ask them to rewind to their offer of £100pm and the original [social] Online Fresh Start Energy tariff.
    [STRIKE]Andy[/STRIKE]
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure