PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cooking a whole duck

Was in sainsburys today and got 2 whole ducks reduced to £1.50 each. Thought it was a bargain but now that i'm home i don't have a clue what to do with them!
Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Roast them!!! (Put them on a rack in the roasting tin because duck is *very* fatty!)

Or, put them in the freezer for a while until you find the *right* suggestion/idea/recipe.

That is an amazing bargain! Well done!!! :T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I picked up a cheap duck one day and froze it. Eventually put it in the slow cooker with some water and cooked it all day. Absolutely lovely - quite mild so DS1 ate it (I told him it was beef as he said he could never eat duck:)) Also, used gravy separator jug to take fat off stock so made lovely gravy - in fact I think I have a bag of duck stock still in the freezer.

You could try stuffing an orange up it's bum :) Can't remember if I did that or not. Hmmm, thinking back, I have a feeling I was out of oranges so used some clemantines. Was still yummy :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Any time I roast a duck I save the fat from it in a tupperware container in the fridge and use it for making roast potatoes. It's probably not a very healthy option, but the duck fat really does make delicious roast potatoes.

Pink
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    have it with chinese style pancakes (very thin) and hoisin sauce with sliced spring onion and cucumber yum.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • wendyf_3
    wendyf_3 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Thanks for all your ideas. OH roasted one duck last night and we had it like crispy duck from the chinese. It was delicious!
    The other one is in the freezer for later.
    Thanks again
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Ooohhhhhh, I love duck :j

To roast, I dry the skin, !!!!!! it all over (stab stab stab with a v sharp knife, especially where the leg joins the body) and roast in a hot oven.

I then portion the duck to that there are 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs and I chop the breasts in half. I pile all the meat into a serving dish and pour over a mixture of cherry jam (Lidl's) and red wine which I've reduced down in a pan.

In the same serving dish (but at the other end) I put baby new potatoes which I cut in half and mix with melted butter and fresh mint sauce. The cherry sauce, meat, spuds and mint all mix together and it's YUM!!!!!
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    ... stab stab stab with a v sharp knife, especially where the leg joins the body ...

... I chop the breasts in half. I ... pour... red wine .... .

I put baby ... which I cut in half ... and mix with melted butter and fresh mint sauce. ..... it's YUM!!!!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :naughty:

*is the stress of dh's work, rubbing off?* :confused:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    :eek:

Are yoo implyin that I'm violent? are ya? ARE YA? :mad:

:D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ok I got carried away and got a turkey AND a duck in Lidl, well it was such a good price.
    How should I do the duck, knowing that I wont be able to recreate the chinese crispy duck style whats the best way to do the duck so its not too greasy?
    I already have jars ready to save the fat;)
    What kind of sauce do you like with it? I have already got fresh cranberries cos I prefer to make a proper sauce rather then put cranberry flavoured jam on my turkey, but I expect my guests will expect a different sauce for the duck.
    My lads will eat the skin off anything, so will that go crispy?
    Do the bones make a good stock?
    I'm thinking 'rubber duck' here as in 'rubber chicken'!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    If you rub the duck with salt, it'll go crispy. If you're going to roast it, make sure you put a wire tray in the roasting tray - it'll literally swim with grease!

Gooseberry goes well with duck. Or the traditional orange.

Jules
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure