🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

New tyres - any which members out there?

Options

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hankook at £71 a corner is ok.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your helpful advice everyone will try and find a good price once I have an idea of which brand of tyre I should be looking for. Ms Chocoholic have PM'd you but my tyre size is 175 60 R15

Kumho are a reasonably good tyre and only £52 here
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If ure an aa member they do very good discount
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 May 2013 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Kumho are a reasonably good tyre and only £52 here

Excluding fitting and delivery, right?
  • Ultrasonic
    edited 25 May 2013 at 11:22AM
    Options
    my tyre size is 175 60 R15

Think that must be a slightly unusual size, as there are fewer tyres available in that size than I'd expect. I am not a tyre expert, but looking quickly I'd be tempted to go for these:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/K425-Kinergy-Eco.htm

The ratings of C for economy, B for wet braking and 69 dB noise are the best I can see for your sized tyres. In the test results linked to above the tyres that are ranked higher don't seem to be available in the size you need.

Best deal I can see is from Blackcircles.com, which is £83.86 fully fitted per tyre, and you can then get your next MOT for £5. You get the MOT done anywhere you want and claim back the cost less £5 afterwards. If you pay the full £54.85 for an MOT that's a saving of £49.85, meaning the tyres work out at £58.94 each.
  • ~Chameleon~
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    Excluding fitting and delivery, right?

Free delivery and I'm not sure how much it costs to fit, I've got a friend who does it for £5 a wheel ;)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • ~Chameleon~
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Think that must be a slightly unusual size, as there are fewer tyres available in that size than I'd expect. I am not a tyre expert, but looking quickly I'd be tempted to go for these:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/K425-Kinergy-Eco.htm

The ratings of C for economy, B for wet braking and 69 dB noise are the best I can see for your sized tyres. In the test results linked to above the tyres that are ranked higher don't seem to be available in the size you need.

Best deal I can see is from Blackcircles.com, which is £83.86 fully fitted per tyre, and you can then get your next MOT for £5. You get the MOT done anywhere you want and claim back the cost less £5 afterwards. If you pay the full £54.85 for an MOT that's a saving of £49.85, meaning the tyres work out at £58.94 each.

That's not a bad deal actually!
  • Ultrasonic
    Options
    That's not a bad deal actually!

Yes, for two tyres it's really good. The two tyres I bought recently were £75 each but worked out at £50 each with the deal :cool:.

Is there a trick to getting free delivery from Camskill? When I try for the tyres you linked to I get a £5.98 delivery charge added:

CamskillPostage_zps84ee3745.jpg

Had to post the screenshot because of the finance 'deal' on the left hand side!!! I'd certainly need a loan for an order that big...
  • ~Chameleon~
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Is there a trick to getting free delivery from Camskill? When I try for the tyres you linked to I get a £5.98 delivery charge added:

I'm not sure unless whether it's a deal on specific tyres or was a special offer at the time, bu I recently bought two tyres from them and it was the free delivery that was the deal breaker between those and Blackcircles as the tyres were similarly priced. I have no use for a cheap MOT offer and didn't need them fitted.

Love the finance option :rotfl:
  • bridgetdunstable
    Options
    Thanks again for all your replies hopefully they may help others. In the end I went for some Dunlop ST Response from a independent garage for £71 each. There isn't a vast selection available in the size I need and am not due an MOT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport