MSE News: PPI text spammers face £250,000 fine

Options
"Two individuals accused of sending millions of spam text messages face a huge fine if found guilty..."

Comments

• OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can I claim a share from the £250,000 for stress and meaningless waste of my time receiving spam emails/texts.
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    Good, about time these crooks were stopped. Let's hope accident claims are the next ones to be stopped, when I questioned one of the cheeky beggars they told me they'd only contacted me as I filled in a survey and showed an interest in accident compensation. No such thing has ever happened.

Shame it took the ICO this long to act. These spam texts are part of a multi-million pound industry designed to trick people - how on earth does a company know I am entitled to £2,304 exactly following an accident I have never had? No wonder my insurance premiums go up and up despite being a good risk. Time for the ICO to exercise their size 12's and start kicking some butt.
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2012 at 5:49PM
    Options
    OneADay wrote: »
    Can I claim a share from the £250,000 for stress and meaningless waste of my time receiving spam emails/texts.

Dito.
    I'm sick of them.

CitySlicker, my imaginary accident must have been worse than yours as I'm entitled to £2,674.67 :eek:
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • dkmax_2
    dkmax_2 Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    I hope the ICO determines where the spammers are getting their data from. Some just use a scatter-gun approach to random mobile numbers but others are clearly using a verified database. Some texts address me by my first name and some PPI callers know my full contact details too.
  • BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They should face a stiff prison sentence too as should those who use telephone to cold call people.
  • colly7
    colly7 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    I text back to the accident claim ones as follows:

Can I claim extra for the amnesia, as I can't remember anything about the accident?

If you respond to the PPI ones they call you and then get really !!!!y when you say " hi no I'm not interested but I just wanted to waste your time like you wasted mine"

Taught daughter to say ........hello are you my mommy? in a very baby voice but she spoils it by cracking up laughing :rotfl:

we really should get out more :)
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They should face a stiff prison sentence too as should those who use telephone to cold call people.
    Preferably in the multi-lifer wing so they daren't drop the soap in the shower...
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They should focus on the emails next...

Sick of getting so many PPI / accident / errection medicines / get laid / fake ££££££ due to me / gambling intro's etc.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From the article:
    Consumers have reported almost 30,000 calls or texts from unknown senders in the last six months, Simon Entwisle, the ICO's director of operations says.

It really has taken the Information Commissioner much too long to get off ther backsides and do something about this, as it's been going on forabout 3 years.

When I reported spam text messages to that office 3 years ago I was explicitly told to go away and stop wasting their time.

I said this here in Jan 2010:
    It would be interesting to see whether the complaints I made in September are included as recorded by either Vodafone or the ICO, or indeed Ofcom, as all three adamantly refused to do anything at the time.

Thus I suspect the information they have so far will understate the problem, however I doubt they would choose to ignore these implicit mandates from now on.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=29288583&postcount=24
  • chillxxx
    chillxxx Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Pherhaps they should publidh there personal mobile numbers so members of the public can subject to the nusiance they have subjected us to
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure