Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 1st Oct 12, 4:05 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: PPI text spammers face 250,000 fine
    • 1st Oct 12, 4:05 PM
    MSE News: PPI text spammers face 250,000 fine 1st Oct 12 at 4:05 PM
    "Two individuals accused of sending millions of spam text messages face a huge fine if found guilty..."

Page 1
    • OneADay
    • By OneADay 1st Oct 12, 4:12 PM
    • 8,652 Posts
    • 6,624 Thanks
    OneADay
    • 1st Oct 12, 4:12 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 4:12 PM
    Can I claim a share from the 250,000 for stress and meaningless waste of my time receiving spam emails/texts.
    • 4$&*($&*(!
    • By 4$&*($&*(! 1st Oct 12, 4:26 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    4$&*($&*(!
    • 1st Oct 12, 4:26 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 4:26 PM
    Good, about time these crooks were stopped. Let's hope accident claims are the next ones to be stopped, when I questioned one of the cheeky beggars they told me they'd only contacted me as I filled in a survey and showed an interest in accident compensation. No such thing has ever happened.

Shame it took the ICO this long to act. These spam texts are part of a multi-million pound industry designed to trick people - how on earth does a company know I am entitled to 2,304 exactly following an accident I have never had? No wonder my insurance premiums go up and up despite being a good risk. Time for the ICO to exercise their size 12's and start kicking some butt.
    • jeanmd
    • By jeanmd 1st Oct 12, 4:46 PM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 25,054 Thanks
    jeanmd
    • 1st Oct 12, 4:46 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 4:46 PM
    Can I claim a share from the 250,000 for stress and meaningless waste of my time receiving spam emails/texts.
    Originally posted by OneADay
    Dito.
    I'm sick of them.

CitySlicker, my imaginary accident must have been worse than yours as I'm entitled to 2,674.67
    Last edited by jeanmd; 01-10-2012 at 4:49 PM.
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to mse.

"Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most" - Unknown Author
    • dkmax
    • By dkmax 1st Oct 12, 5:38 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    dkmax
    • 1st Oct 12, 5:38 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 5:38 PM
    I hope the ICO determines where the spammers are getting their data from. Some just use a scatter-gun approach to random mobile numbers but others are clearly using a verified database. Some texts address me by my first name and some PPI callers know my full contact details too.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 1st Oct 12, 5:42 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 2,800 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    • 1st Oct 12, 5:42 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 5:42 PM
    They should face a stiff prison sentence too as should those who use telephone to cold call people.
  • colly7
    • 1st Oct 12, 7:15 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 7:15 PM
    I text back to the accident claim ones as follows:

Can I claim extra for the amnesia, as I can't remember anything about the accident?

If you respond to the PPI ones they call you and then get really !!!!y when you say " hi no I'm not interested but I just wanted to waste your time like you wasted mine"

Taught daughter to say ........hello are you my mommy? in a very baby voice but she spoils it by cracking up laughing

we really should get out more
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 1st Oct 12, 8:22 PM
    • 13,612 Posts
    • 18,912 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 1st Oct 12, 8:22 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 8:22 PM
    They should face a stiff prison sentence too as should those who use telephone to cold call people.
    Originally posted by BargainGalore
    Preferably in the multi-lifer wing so they daren't drop the soap in the shower...
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 1st Oct 12, 11:18 PM
    • 14,104 Posts
    • 72,484 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 1st Oct 12, 11:18 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 11:18 PM
    They should focus on the emails next...

Sick of getting so many PPI / accident / errection medicines / get laid / fake due to me / gambling intro's etc.
    • redux
    • By redux 2nd Oct 12, 2:22 AM
    • 19,782 Posts
    • 27,534 Thanks
    redux
    From the article:

Consumers have reported almost 30,000 calls or texts from unknown senders in the last six months, Simon Entwisle, the ICO's director of operations says.
    It really has taken the Information Commissioner much too long to get off ther backsides and do something about this, as it's been going on forabout 3 years.

When I reported spam text messages to that office 3 years ago I was explicitly told to go away and stop wasting their time.

I said this here in Jan 2010:

It would be interesting to see whether the complaints I made in September are included as recorded by either Vodafone or the ICO, or indeed Ofcom, as all three adamantly refused to do anything at the time.

Thus I suspect the information they have so far will understate the problem, however I doubt they would choose to ignore these implicit mandates from now on.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=29288583&postcount=24
  • chillxxx
    Pherhaps they should publidh there personal mobile numbers so members of the public can subject to the nusiance they have subjected us to
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 2nd Oct 12, 4:40 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    I do get spam texts occasionally and they are immediately deleted after I've sworn at my 'phone for no reason other than I'm annoyed!

Thing is, I will never understand why anyone would respond to one of these types of texts anyway. Are some people really that gullible?

I suppose one thing is, surely spammers must have to pay to text spam? But I'm assuming they make so much money out of those individuals that do respond, that it can't matter to them too much anyway.
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 2nd Oct 12, 8:35 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    Trouble is any fine must hit these hard and act as a deterrent far to much fines still make it worth while for these parasites to operate
    • Intasun32
    • By Intasun32 3rd Oct 12, 9:06 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Intasun32
    It make you wonder why the ICO have never acted against the bandits that send unsolicited chargeable texts, even after tens of thousands of compaints!

They do not consider this type of mobile phone theft a crime. It is the same as normal spam, which they have fined the senders in this case, only the receiver of the text pays!!!!

Why do they, the ICO, OFCOM, the networks and all the other 'authorities' refuse to act?
    • orrery
    • By orrery 3rd Oct 12, 10:34 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    orrery
    I suppose one thing is, surely spammers must have to pay to text spam?
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    They buy a pay-as-you-go SIM with an unlimited text deal. This goes into a phone connected to a PC running a piece of bulk text software. They then send a massive number of texts until the phone company spots what is going on and disconnects the number. They then start again.

If this is done from a laptop in a car, then they can never be located. However, there must be a trail of 'money' to follow that leads to the guilt parties.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 3rd Oct 12, 4:07 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    They buy a pay-as-you-go SIM with an unlimited text deal. This goes into a phone connected to a PC running a piece of bulk text software. They then send a massive number of texts until the phone company spots what is going on and disconnects the number. They then start again.

If this is done from a laptop in a car, then they can never be located. However, there must be a trail of 'money' to follow that leads to the guilt parties.
    Originally posted by orrery
    Excellent explanation, thank you. I wasn't aware this is how it was done. Perhaps one way of combatting the issue would be to implement the same type of law as the South African Government brought in, in 2003, the Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-Related Information Act (RICA) where I believe every sim card used has to be registered by law. However, I would forsee privacy issue problems, so I guess it would be a non starter in the UK.
    • orrery
    • By orrery 3rd Oct 12, 5:04 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    orrery
    Perhaps one way of combatting the issue would be to .....
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    Or make the company buying the 'sales leads' generated by the text spamming responsible, unless they can show that they were responsible in checking how the leads were generated.

I tried responding to the texts and got calls from all sorts of companies. I then asked them to take my number off their lists. None could as, they explained, it wasn't their list - they just bought them from a "legitimate marketing company". Challenging these people revealed that they didn't know and didn't care where the leads came from.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    • redux
    • By redux 9th Nov 12, 5:29 AM
    • 19,782 Posts
    • 27,534 Thanks
    redux
    Despite the PR from the Information Commisioner's Office, they are apparently either too busy or just can't be bothered to reply to reports on their website for well over a month. Or longer. No reply yet to a complaint I reported in late August.
    Last edited by redux; 09-11-2012 at 5:33 AM.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 9th Nov 12, 5:55 AM
    • 10,045 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    chanz4
    Can see it next MSE, Compensation for texts
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • orrery
    • By orrery 9th Nov 12, 6:30 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    orrery
    Despite the PR from the Information Commisioner's Office, they are apparently either too busy or just can't be bothered to reply to reports on their website for well over a month.
    Originally posted by redux
    I think it needs to said: The ICO are simply failing to perform at even a basic level. It is about time that the government stepped in to sort them out.
    I had dialogue with them a good while ago, when I was following up the text spam to encourage the sender to contact me, then taking notes of the companies and telephone numbers that called me back. All this was put into formal complaints to the ICO, but there was simply no engagement from them - no evidence whatsoever that anyone had even looked at what I sent in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,527Posts Today

7,081Users online

Martin's Twitter