PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

easy eggs

I always make my scrambled eggs in the microwave - because it's easier and less cleaning. If making egg mayo sandwiches - I scramble the eggs first and let them go cold(a minute or so)before adding mayo. I find this easier than hardboiling/shelling/mashing plus appearance wise it remains predominately yellow rather than mostly white which personally I find more appealing.

Moneysaving wise if you add in milk at the scrambling stage - it will go further, handy if you are feeding a few and less sloppy than adding loads of mayo to eek it out.. A chef told me this what they did with the left over scrambled eggs from breakfast. (left over as in too much, not left on the plate!!)

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    what a great idea
    often fancy egg sarnies but not the mess
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Brilliant! Never thought of that. I have a plastic microwaveable measuring jug that is virtually non-stick, so that will make the whole operation easier still :T .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I always do my scrambled eggs in the microwave too, but never gave it a thought to use them for egg mayo, cheers! :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I like scrambled eggs cold in a roll :o
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    There is a very fine line of getting the eggs right in the microwave - I find anyway, so I still always do mine on the hob over a really really low heat. I love mine really creamy, and I never seem to be able to get the consistency right in the micro - I always end up with omlette.

By the way, its a nightmare to clean in the dishwasher - bit like Weetabix - it solidifies!!!
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • Whitefiver
    Whitefiver Posts: 688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    frizz_head wrote:
    There is a very fine line of getting the eggs right in the microwave - I find anyway,

I have just had scrambled eggs on toast for my tea, with the eggs done in the microwave - naturally.

I find I have to keep my eye on them all the time, and also never "cook" them until they are done - I let the residual heat finish the cooking for me. Lovely.

Don't forget a knob of butter with the milk, and a good grinding of black pepper, and sea salt (cheap at Aldi).

Regards,

White.
  • trace-j
    trace-j Posts: 783 Forumite
    frizz_head wrote:
    There is a very fine line of getting the eggs right in the microwave - I find anyway, so I still always do mine on the hob over a really really low heat. I love mine really creamy, and I never seem to be able to get the consistency right in the micro - I always end up with omlette.

By the way, its a nightmare to clean in the dishwasher - bit like Weetabix - it solidifies!!!

If you take the eggs out whilst the mixture is still slightly wet and then let it stand for a minute or so, the eggs continue to cook and end up the right consistancy. With any food cooked in the microwave, you're supposed to let it stand.

I've given up sticking anything with egg on in the dishwasher. The heat just sets the egg even more and the only way to get it off is using a brillo pad.
    :idea:I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about:idea:
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I remember picking up a couple of those microwave egg boilers a few years ago, one afternoon and 2 dozen eggs later we decided the best place for them was in the bin :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    before my microwave went bang (boo hoo) I did my scramble in there. I had a small balloon whisk that I used to break up the eggs as they cooked and this gave them a good consistency.
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck.

Scrambled eggs taste best fried in a very hot pan, with alot of butter and a pinch of salt. No other way comes close!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure