MSE News: Petrol prices hit record high

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The average price at the pumps reached 140.20p per litre at the end of last week, with diesel at a new record of 146.72p..."
Read the full story:
Petrol prices hit record high

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• runninglea
    runninglea Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I saw diesel at £1.499 at our local BP this morning - couldnt believe it!
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700

Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Why does MSE feel the need to start these discussion forums? Who does it help? We already know the bloody fuel is going up, what would you like us to do about it?

I thought this forum was a place where people can help and offer advice. I feel these posts started by MSE are just there to fuel angry posters to get the hit rates up. Pretty appauling if you ask me.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As we still measure and mark our roads and speedometers in miles, don't you think, as an aggressively oil taxed nation, the long-term reason we started selling fuel in litres was to take the wind out of rising fuel costs? £1.402/l is bad enough, but if the pump went in to "real money" mode = £6.38/gallon, you would faint!
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I dont understand why the garages are allowed to price at impossible prices, ie £1.42.7 a litre - how can they charge you .7 of a pence, isnt this illegal as there is no such price, is the petrol any cheaper than £1.42.9 or £1.43 - just brings garages with prices like this to the top of the cheapest prices on petrol prices?

You never see pricing like this in the shops so how can garages still use it?
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    akh43 wrote: »
    I dont understand why the garages are allowed to price at impossible prices, ie £1.42.7 a litre - how can they charge you .7 of a pence, isnt this illegal as there is no such price, is the petrol any cheaper than £1.42.9 or £1.43 - just brings garages with prices like this to the top of the cheapest prices on petrol prices?

You never see pricing like this in the shops so how can garages still use it?

but they arent chaging that
    the pumps charge in amounts that are payable
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    No no no :( Just no :(

I don't know how else to express my concern and frustration about the way fuel prices are going. We live in a village. We moved here so my partner could walk to work (the only job available after 8 months of applying for many but luckily its a good one), meaning the car is used as little as possible anyway, but journey costs are soon going to make visiting my mother or the supermarket a definate lifestyle choice instead of normality.
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• I'm a relatively new driver (passed my test in November, car bought December) and I'm sure I've seen the petrol prices increase every week since.

It seems like an easy source of revenue for the Government, as people won't give up their cars. It's very easy for people to say take public transport, but that's becoming increasingly impossible. The reason I had to learn to drive (at 28 - after using public transport for years) is because the local bus company got rid of my bus to work. I was very happy to use public transport - in fact I prefer it as I'm an avid reader - but I can't. So I either accept that I have to pay these prices for petrol, or become unemployed. To me, that doesn't seem like a dilemma that people should have to face.

I'm quite lucky in one way, as my company subsidise a bus route which means I can get free travel on that route. It does mean I would still need to drive to one of the stops, but it would make my daily journey around 13 miles instead of 32. So if it gets really bad, I can at least do that, but some people won't have the option.
  • The Govt are missing the big picture here by taxing the petrol.

Used to be even up to 12-18 months ago we would go for a drive to the seaside every other weekend ( anywhere from 55-90 miles away ) buy some dinner in the local pubs, spend some cash in the local shops etc....

Cant afford to do that no more...Take a picnic up to the local green area instead, 10 mins away.

Now who loses out?

Retailers, shop owners, garages etc etc..... All of which will be paying tax to same said government. They cant have it both ways.

Motorist are way to easy targets....
  • Petef_2
    Petef_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    The only way that we (the general public) will make any difference to the price of fuel is if we all Act 'en mass' and protest together at the same time. However, that needs someone to put their head up above the wall to organise and the rest to back them up. Unfortunately, that will never happen (in my mind) people will just put up with it and carry on moaning about the cost because it's easier that way.
  • Petef wrote: »
    The only way that we (the general public) will make any difference to the price of fuel is if we all Act 'en mass' and protest together at the same time. However, that needs someone to put their head up above the wall to organise and the rest to back them up. Unfortunately, that will never happen (in my mind) people will just put up with it and carry on moaning about the cost because it's easier that way.

When are you organising the protest for then? Just so you know, I can't do Tuesdays.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure