Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lucylou
    • By lucylou 7th May 05, 5:34 PM
    • 1,023Posts
    • 2,813Thanks
    lucylou
    can we have a challenge on how to make the cheapest cake to feed 6?
    • 7th May 05, 5:34 PM
    can we have a challenge on how to make the cheapest cake to feed 6? 7th May 05 at 5:34 PM
    can we?I know one which always comes out well and is very versatile
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
Page 1
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 7th May 05, 5:49 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 7th May 05, 5:49 PM
    • 7th May 05, 5:49 PM
    Tell us then! I'd go for best rather than cheapest although I won't use things like ground almonds for an 'everyday cake'. Always use butter though and a slug of cheap brandy for fruit cakes. I'd rather have one piece of slightly more expensive cake than two of a cake made with margarine.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 7th May 05, 6:32 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 7th May 05, 6:32 PM
    • 7th May 05, 6:32 PM
    can we?I know one which always comes out well and is very versatile
    by lucylou
    Is it a secret or can we guess?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th May 05, 8:10 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 7th May 05, 8:10 PM
    • 7th May 05, 8:10 PM
    Easy peasy - add half a capful of vanilla essence and half a capful of (any other flavouring you like) to a standard bread loaf mix.

By all means have the challenge But we don't have any more sticky places left. We're limited.

Anyway... we know who's gonna win...

Queenie

Or is she...?

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • lucylou
    • By lucylou 8th May 05, 8:17 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    • 8th May 05, 8:17 AM
    yes it's cheap but it's also the best (according to everyone who ate it)
    • 8th May 05, 8:17 AM
    here it goes:
    I know this is cheating a bit but either make a sponge base or buy one for 47 p at Asda (don't buy it at Tesco as I think it's 97p).Then whip some whipping cream and add fresh fruit in rounds on the top.Voilą!Quick and delicious :a cake that serves six with a minimum cost and maximum taste!
    A variant I use is instead of whipping cream I make my own creme patisserie (if anyone wants I can post the recipe:it's extraordinary!) or you could use custard.
    I made one yesterday with fresh strawberries on top for my friend's two little girls who devoured it.
    Other toppings you could use are chocolate shavings ,any kind of fruit, or anything else.
    It looks really professional if you layer the fruit in rounds i.e. use different fruit for a really nice effect:use summer fruit in summer ,like strawberries ,raspberries and brambles in rounds finishing off with two big strawberries in the centre circle.Success guaranteed!
    p.s.:Have I won? ;-)
    p.p.s. has anyone tried the dragon biscuit recipe I posted the other day?
    Last edited by lucylou; 08-05-2005 at 8:20 AM.
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 8th May 05, 8:28 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 8th May 05, 8:28 AM
    • 8th May 05, 8:28 AM
    I make a couple of sponges and a fruit cake every week. In the summer, I use whipped cream and fruit like Lucylou but my pleb children prefer chocolate cake with chocolate butter icing finished of with a bar of milk chocolate melted and poured over the top. They also like crumbled flake bars on top of the melted chocolate but that's only for birthday cakes.

But I know butter icing is rubbished in cook books now so I would like to learn to make creme patisserie. Please post your recipe Lucylou and I'll try it this afternoon!
    • lucylou
    • By lucylou 8th May 05, 8:41 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    • 8th May 05, 8:41 AM
    Here is the recipe Magentasue
    • 8th May 05, 8:41 AM
    If Squeaky wants to add it to the recipe index it would be brill.
    CREME PATISSERIE
    For three people:

INGREDIENTS
    half a litre of milk
    80 gr. sugar
    60 gr. plain flour
    1 egg
    2 yolks
    vanilla pod (optional)

METHOD
    Boil the milk in a deep pan ,add vanilla pod if you want.When boiled take off the cooker.
    In a bowl whisk eggs until they froth.Add sugar and the boiled milk little at a time.Put in the pan again always stirring ( for 5 minutes).Take off the heat. Slowly add flour (if you do it quickly there will be big lumps,if this should happen, sieve the final mixture).Keep stirring.Put back on cooker and keep stirring until it boils.After boiling it for two minutes take it off the cooker.
    That's it .It is really simple but follow all instruction meticously and it will be perfect!let me know how you got on!
    This creme is really good as a filling for chocolates if you make your own or to fill choux pastry!
    p.s. heat should always be gentle
    Last edited by lucylou; 08-05-2005 at 8:55 AM.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th May 05, 8:44 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 8th May 05, 8:44 AM
    • 8th May 05, 8:44 AM
    I'll point directly to the post from the Index rather than move it about

Edit: It's now in the Snacks and cakes section of the Old Style Index.
    Last edited by squeaky; 08-05-2005 at 8:49 AM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 8th May 05, 8:49 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 8th May 05, 8:49 AM
    • 8th May 05, 8:49 AM

In a bowl whisk eggs until they froth.Add sugar and the boiled milk little at a time.Put in the pan again always stirring ( for 5 minutes)
    by lucylou
    This sounds like custard - WARNING it will curdle (as in scrambled eggs!) if the heat is anything more than very gentle. Boiling once the flour is in is OK because the flour stabilises the egg.

Lucylou, when you say heat for five minutes - should it go thick like home made custard?
    • lucylou
    • By lucylou 8th May 05, 8:49 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    ok thanks Squeaky sorry about that
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th May 05, 8:51 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    No problem. Honest

• lucylou
    • By lucylou 8th May 05, 8:52 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    No Magentasue I guarantee it's CREME PATISSERIE (it's from an Italian/french recipe book).
    Yes, it should go thick but the taste is different from custard.
    Sorry the heat should be gentle.I forgot to say that
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 8th May 05, 8:56 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    No Magentasue I guarantee it's CREME PATISSERIE (it's from an Italian/french recipe book).
    Yes, it should go thick but the taste is different from custard.
    Sorry the heat should be gentle.I forgot to say that
    by lucylou
    No,no, I know it's not a recipe for custard - I just meant that heating the milk and eggs sounds like custard and so you have to be careful of curdling. I think creme patisserie is just a thickened custard for fillings - will try it later! Thanks for the recipe.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th May 05, 8:57 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Can you edit your recipe post then please to say that - because the only post a reader will see from the Index is that single one and not these extras

• lucylou
    • By lucylou 8th May 05, 8:59 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    done it Squeaky (and at 9.55 before you even said it);-)
    Last edited by lucylou; 08-05-2005 at 9:02 AM.
    • lucylou
    • By lucylou 8th May 05, 4:15 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    Magentasue Have you made you creme?Did you like it?
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 8th May 05, 4:57 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    Yes and no! Made it and tried it out on kids. Not impressed, even after I added some chocolate. So I whizzed up some digestive biscuits and melted some butter and have made chocolate creme pie. Will see how that goes down for pudding tomorrow!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th May 05, 5:21 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    When I've made it in the past I've used far more egg yolks, and cornflour rather then normal flour, so I wonder if that would make a difference :confused:

I'll see if I can find the recipe I used to use and post back

Ok, here you go ...

Creme Patissiere

280ml milk
    vanilla pod
    25g plain flour
    2 teaspoons cornflour
    4 egg-yolks
    60g caster sugar

Pour milk into pan, adding seeds from split vanilla pod, and bring to boil.
    Whisk egg-yolks and sugar together, then stir in cornflour and flour.
    When milk is ready whisk it very slowly into egg mix.
    Pour into clean pan and bring slowly to boil over low heat, until thickened.
    Simmer it for a minute and then allow it to cool.
    Cover it with cling-film to prevent a skin from forming.
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 08-05-2005 at 5:34 PM.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Mschappie
    • By Mschappie 9th May 05, 4:02 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Mschappie
    Bread Pudding
    I make this most weeks for my family - and my work colleagues!

8oz bread (I make this into breadcrumbs in the food processor)
    1/2 pint water
    Approx 2oz orange juice (Value orange juice)
    1 egg
    2 large tbs mixed spice
    6oz mixed fruit
    4oz sugar
    2oz melted margarine
    cinnamon (to sprinke on top before cooked)
    Sugar (to sprinkle on top when it comes out of the oven)

Pour water and orange juice over the breadcrumbs and leave for about 10minutes so that it gets soaked in.
    Add other ingredients and mix together.
    When mixed together pour into a greased tin (I usually use a roasting tray as I use triple the ingredients - but use a small rectangular dish if you're using the quantity above)
    Sprinkle the cinnamon over the mixture.
    Cook for approx 1 hour at 150c/gas 4
    When cooked sprinkle the sugar on top whilst the pudding is still hot.

You can eat this with custard, icecream or as a cake. Either way it finds it way to my hips!

Mschappie
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 9th May 05, 4:21 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I've linked this one into our recipe collection thanks.

Note to all: I can't spot all the recipes that appear in different threads all over the place, so if I've missed one of yours - I'm sorry. They're easier to find in our recipe collection

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,160Users online

Martin's Twitter