PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

can we have a challenge on how to make the cheapest cake to feed 6?

can we?I know one which always comes out well and is very versatile
half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Tell us then! I'd go for best rather than cheapest although I won't use things like ground almonds for an 'everyday cake'. Always use butter though and a slug of cheap brandy for fruit cakes. I'd rather have one piece of slightly more expensive cake than two of a cake made with margarine.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    apprentice_tycoon Posts: 3,300 Forumite
    lucylou wrote:
    can we?I know one which always comes out well and is very versatile
    Is it a secret or can we guess?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Easy peasy - add half a capful of vanilla essence and half a capful of (any other flavouring you like) to a standard bread loaf mix.

By all means have the challenge :) But we don't have any more sticky places left. We're limited.

Anyway... we know who's gonna win...

Queenie

Or is she...?

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    here it goes:
    I know this is cheating a bit but either make a sponge base or buy one for 47 p at Asda (don't buy it at Tesco as I think it's 97p).Then whip some whipping cream and add fresh fruit in rounds on the top.Voilà!Quick and delicious :a cake that serves six with a minimum cost and maximum taste!
    A variant I use is instead of whipping cream I make my own creme patisserie (if anyone wants I can post the recipe:it's extraordinary!) or you could use custard.
    I made one yesterday with fresh strawberries on top for my friend's two little girls who devoured it.
    Other toppings you could use are chocolate shavings ,any kind of fruit, or anything else.
    It looks really professional if you layer the fruit in rounds i.e. use different fruit for a really nice effect:use summer fruit in summer ,like strawberries ,raspberries and brambles in rounds finishing off with two big strawberries in the centre circle.Success guaranteed!
    p.s.:Have I won? ;-)
    p.p.s. has anyone tried the dragon biscuit recipe I posted the other day?
  • Magentasue
    I make a couple of sponges and a fruit cake every week. In the summer, I use whipped cream and fruit like Lucylou but my pleb children prefer chocolate cake with chocolate butter icing finished of with a bar of milk chocolate melted and poured over the top. They also like crumbled flake bars on top of the melted chocolate but that's only for birthday cakes.

But I know butter icing is rubbished in cook books now so I would like to learn to make creme patisserie. Please post your recipe Lucylou and I'll try it this afternoon!
  • lucylou
    If Squeaky wants to add it to the recipe index it would be brill.
    CREME PATISSERIE
    For three people:

INGREDIENTS
    half a litre of milk
    80 gr. sugar
    60 gr. plain flour
    1 egg
    2 yolks
    vanilla pod (optional)

METHOD
    Boil the milk in a deep pan ,add vanilla pod if you want.When boiled take off the cooker.
    In a bowl whisk eggs until they froth.Add sugar and the boiled milk little at a time.Put in the pan again always stirring ( for 5 minutes).Take off the heat. Slowly add flour (if you do it quickly there will be big lumps,if this should happen, sieve the final mixture).Keep stirring.Put back on cooker and keep stirring until it boils.After boiling it for two minutes take it off the cooker.
    That's it .It is really simple but follow all instruction meticously and it will be perfect!let me know how you got on!
    This creme is really good as a filling for chocolates if you make your own or to fill choux pastry!
    p.s. heat should always be gentle
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'll point directly to the post from the Index rather than move it about :)

Edit: It's now in the Snacks and cakes section of the Old Style Index.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Magentasue
    lucylou wrote:

In a bowl whisk eggs until they froth.Add sugar and the boiled milk little at a time.Put in the pan again always stirring ( for 5 minutes)

This sounds like custard - WARNING it will curdle (as in scrambled eggs!) if the heat is anything more than very gentle. Boiling once the flour is in is OK because the flour stabilises the egg.

Lucylou, when you say heat for five minutes - should it go thick like home made custard?
  • lucylou
    ok thanks Squeaky sorry about that
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    No problem. Honest :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport