Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 10th Sep 04, 8:38 PM
    • 4,448Posts
    • 21,699Thanks
    VickyA
    Chocolate Beetroot Cake recipe
    • 10th Sep 04, 8:38 PM
    Chocolate Beetroot Cake recipe 10th Sep 04 at 8:38 PM
    As promised, here's the recipe for chocolate beetroot cake:

30g cocoa powder
    115g plain flour
    1.5 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt
    170g caster sugar
    240ml corn oil
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    3 whole eggs, beaten
    125g (half a pack) of vacuum packed beetroot, pureed
    90g plain dark choc, chopped into small pieces

Sift cocoa, flour, baking powder & salt into a bowl and mix in the sugar.
    All the oil, vanilla essence, eggs, beetroot and chocolate pieces and mix well.
    Grease an 18cm cake tin with butter and pour in the mix.
    Bake for 50mins at 375F/190C/Gas 5 until a skewer comes out clean.

Enjoy! ;D
Page 1
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 10th Sep 04, 9:56 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 10th Sep 04, 9:56 PM
    Re: Chocolate Beetroot Cake recipe
    • 10th Sep 04, 9:56 PM
    I'll have to try this one. I love chocolate and I also love beetroot but I'd never thought of combining them ???
  • rach
    • 10th Sep 04, 10:52 PM
    • 10th Sep 04, 10:52 PM
    wow - me too. am gonna try that really soon - sounds fab. i love beetroot...

and as its healthy i'll feel so much better about eating chocolate cake!!! :P ;D
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 10th Sep 04, 11:37 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 10th Sep 04, 11:37 PM
    • 10th Sep 04, 11:37 PM
    Try it warm with some low fat creme fraiche, as a pudding.

I know it sounds bizarre, but it's really quite tasty and really moist. I think those packs of beetroot are about 69p in Tesco (for 250g), or I believe they do them in the Tesco Value range - not sure of the weight in the pack though.
  • Allexie
    • 10th Sep 04, 11:51 PM
    • 10th Sep 04, 11:51 PM
    :-X :-X :-Xthanks but I think I'll give this one a miss :-X :-X :-X
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 11th Sep 04, 9:38 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 11th Sep 04, 9:38 AM
    • 11th Sep 04, 9:38 AM
    I'm gonna try this tonight - haven't got dark choc though only milk but will use that and see what it turns out like.
    • mini
    • By mini 11th Sep 04, 11:42 AM
    • 820 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    mini
    • 11th Sep 04, 11:42 AM
    • 11th Sep 04, 11:42 AM
    Interesting recipe, please report back if you try this
    • By 16011996 11th Sep 04, 11:51 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 11th Sep 04, 11:51 AM
    • 11th Sep 04, 11:51 AM
    have done it before, but forgot about it, my grandad grows beetroot, so tried most things with them. is scrummy. you have to remember the beetroot doesn't have the vinegary taste as in the jarred stuff. if anyone wants it i have a great reciepe for xmas pudding made with carrots in it.
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 11th Sep 04, 11:17 PM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 49,803 Thanks
    MimiJane
    • 11th Sep 04, 11:17 PM
    • 11th Sep 04, 11:17 PM
    Don't knock it 'til you've tried it! !Some of the weirdest sounding recipes are the tastiest. !Years ago, who would have tried carrot cake or cheesecake? !The mixture of sweet and sour/savoury can really work well and often you don't actually get the full flavour of an ingredient, but it just adds a subtle moistness and/or texture to the finished product.

Mind you, I once had a friend who used to add chopped strawberries to her spag. bog sauce. !Seem to remember declining her invite to dinner once ..... !

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 12th Sep 04, 1:05 AM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,356 Thanks
    Caterina
    Going to wait that my beetroots are ready in the garden then going to give this recipe a try.

Thank you!

Caterina
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 12th Sep 04, 9:04 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25

I'm awaiting your verdict on this with interest as I can't quite believe the combination of chocolate and beetroot works !:-/ ! !;D
    Well I made it last night - just.
    I was so busy trying to keep the rest of the family from seeing the ingredients as I wanted them to taste it first, that I got in a right pickle. I dropped the flour into the fruit bowls, and then the spoon with the oil onto the floor. Then I couldn't get the blender out quick enough and knocked over a bowl of mushrooms. I decided then to use the little hand mouli to puree the beets and covered my Tshirt!! :

Anyway, I prob would make it again, just for the novelty aspect - everyone's faces when I told them what was in it, gave me great enjoyment ;D

But no one said it was great, just OK. I thought that it was better as a pudding and we had it first, warm, with ice-cream and then later with a cup of tea. Oh, the duties involved with scientific experimentation!

The other thing I forgot to mention was that when I was just about to put it into the cake pan, I thought that it was a very thick mixture. I had a go at licking out the bowl (all part of the experiment!) and realised that I hadn't put the sugar in : but when I mixed tht in, it slackened and was a more 'normal' consistency.

So, it was worth cooking, even if just to try it!
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 12th Sep 04, 12:47 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    I'm always like that in the kitchen! :

Made me laugh though - thanks!!
    • By 16011996 13th Sep 04, 9:50 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    ;D
  • Lillibet
    I once made a tomato soup cake involving a can of Campbells condensed tomato soup as part of a school project, took ages & ages to cook, far longer than either the recipe said or the lesson allowed but my teacher was intrigiued to see how it came out so gave me permission to skip my next lesson! Was actually a huge success, people couldn't believe their ears when I told them after they tried it, didn't taste of tomatoes at all, just really moist & sweet! Wish I knew the recipe now but I fear it has gone to the big kitchen in the sky, along with my chef Grandad who supplied it!
    Anyway, goona try the beetroot-choc cake as soon as I get back off my holidays, looks fun to say the least
  • heldaz
    Hi Lillibet

did the recipe look like this?

100g (3 1/2oz) butter or margarine, at room temperature
    175g (6oz) soft brown sugar
    295g can Campbell's Condensed Cream of Tomato Soup
    150ml (1/4 pt) water or milk
    300g (10oz) self-raising flour
    1.25ml (1/4 tsp) grated nutmeg
    2.5ml (1/2 tsp) ground cloves
    5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon, 15 ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
    225g (8oz) raisins or sultanas
    100g (3 1/2oz) walnuts, chopped (optional)

Method
    1 . Grease and line a 20cm (8inch) square or 22.5cm (9inch) round cake tin. Pre-heat oven to 150C (300F, Gas 2).

2 . Cream fat and sugar together until light and fluffly - an electric whisk is good for this.

3 . In a small bowl or jug combine soup and water or milk and stir into creamed mixture - this will look horrible but dont panic!

4 . Gently fold in the flour and spices and bicarbonate of soda, then the fruit and walnuts, if using.

5 . Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake 1 3/4 to 2 hours.

Leave in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack. Cut into wedges for serving.

!

PREPARATION 15 minutes
    COOKING TIME !120 minutes !
    SERVES 8 people !

!
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !

• Chris25
    • By Chris25 14th Sep 04, 10:34 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    We still have some of the choc beetroot cake left. It actually keeps very well - nice and moist. I think it's growing on me
    • By 16011996 14th Sep 04, 10:54 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    we made some and the kids love it, they are having some in there pack lunch every day. but it is keeping nicely. thanks for the fab recipe.
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 14th Sep 04, 9:03 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    we made some and the kids love it, they are having some in there pack lunch every day. but it is keeping nicely. thanks for the fab recipe.
    My pleasure! I made one on Sunday myself, just to "make sure" and it's keeping quite nicely. I had some this afternoon when I got back from college with a cup of tea. Lovely! However, my boyfriend has decided that he'll have his daily portion of choccy beetroot cake with ice cream for his pudding tonight!

Beetroot contains high quantities of folic acid (good for you, can't remember why). So, choccy beetroot cake MUST be good for you!
    • By 16011996 15th Sep 04, 9:47 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    folic acid good for you when trying to concieve or are in early pregnancy. is yum. i had some with custard last night. was lovely.
  • heldaz
    Hi

can anyone please tell me how to convert grams to ounces?

tia

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,502Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin