PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chocolate Beetroot Cake recipe

Options
As promised, here's the recipe for chocolate beetroot cake:

30g cocoa powder
115g plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
170g caster sugar
240ml corn oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 whole eggs, beaten
125g (half a pack) of vacuum packed beetroot, pureed
90g plain dark choc, chopped into small pieces

Sift cocoa, flour, baking powder & salt into a bowl and mix in the sugar.
All the oil, vanilla essence, eggs, beetroot and chocolate pieces and mix well.
Grease an 18cm cake tin with butter and pour in the mix.
Bake for 50mins at 375F/190C/Gas 5 until a skewer comes out clean.

Enjoy! ;D
Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared

Comments

• jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll have to try this one. I love chocolate and I also love beetroot but I'd never thought of combining them ???
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wow - me too. am gonna try that really soon - sounds fab. i love beetroot...

and as its healthy i'll feel so much better about eating chocolate cake!!! :P ;D
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try it warm with some low fat creme fraiche, as a pudding.

I know it sounds bizarre, but it's really quite tasty and really moist. I think those packs of beetroot are about 69p in Tesco (for 250g), or I believe they do them in the Tesco Value range - not sure of the weight in the pack though.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    :-X :-X :-Xthanks but I think I'll give this one a miss :-X :-X :-X
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm gonna try this tonight - haven't got dark choc though only milk but will use that and see what it turns out like.
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting recipe, please report back if you try this :)
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    have done it before, but forgot about it, my grandad grows beetroot, so tried most things with them. is scrummy. you have to remember the beetroot doesn't have the vinegary taste as in the jarred stuff. if anyone wants it i have a great reciepe for xmas pudding made with carrots in it.
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!  Some of the weirdest sounding recipes are the tastiest.  Years ago, who would have tried carrot cake or cheesecake?  The mixture of sweet and sour/savoury can really work well and often you don't actually get the full flavour of an ingredient, but it just adds a subtle moistness and/or texture to the finished product.

Mind you, I once had a friend who used to add chopped strawberries to her spag. bog sauce.  Seem to remember declining her invite to dinner once .....  :o

;)
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Going to wait that my beetroots are ready in the garden then going to give this recipe a try.

Thank you!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

I'm awaiting your verdict on this with interest as I can't quite believe the combination of chocolate and beetroot works  :-/  :o  ;D

Well I made it last night - just.
    I was so busy trying to keep the rest of the family from seeing the ingredients as I wanted them to taste it first, that I got in a right pickle. I dropped the flour into the fruit bowls, and then the spoon with the oil onto the floor. Then I couldn't get the blender out quick enough and knocked over a bowl of mushrooms. I decided then to use the little hand mouli to puree the beets and covered my Tshirt!! ::)

Anyway, I prob would make it again, just for the novelty aspect - everyone's faces when I told them what was in it, gave me great enjoyment ;D

But no one said it was great, just OK. I thought that it was better as a pudding and we had it first, warm, with ice-cream and then later with a cup of tea. Oh, the duties involved with scientific experimentation!

The other thing I forgot to mention was that when I was just about to put it into the cake pan, I thought that it was a very thick mixture. I had a go at licking out the bowl (all part of the experiment!) and realised that I hadn't put the sugar in ::) but when I mixed tht in, it slackened and was a more 'normal' consistency.

So, it was worth cooking, even if just to try it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure