Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 83
  • rosieben
    I have a beautiful image of laundry drying in a field!
    Originally posted by nat21luv
    I REALLY miss an outdoor line - I used to live next to a farm and the cows would come to the fence at the bottom of the garden to watch me hang my laundry or whatever I was doing, cows are so nosey!

forgot to mention about the Chocolate Stuff - its a bit like Tiffin and we have 2 Tiffin recipes on the list so I'll cross reference them, I much prefer the name Chocolate Stuff though
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 27th Feb 11, 1:44 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Chloris
    Have updated signature with a 22.96 spend at the farm shop on a big sack of spuds, joint of pork and some lamb sausages. Sounds like a lot, but the farm raises its own pigs and slaughters locally.

I have meal planned up to next sat. I will try to make the pork last 3 meals for 5 people. I'll do a roast, try pork pasties (need to find a recipe!) and pork ragu pasta. Am going to start pack lunch box baking in a mo, cheese and sage pastry nibbles, lemon drizzle cake and ginger biscuits.

DH bought me a new BM today so that is on. This should help with the NSD's. Maybe not my waist line though.

Need to work out what else needs picking up before supermarket run on wed night. Maybe just fruit and mushrooms.

Good luck all.x
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 27th Feb 11, 2:08 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Quick question - after my success at making a pizza base in my BM on dough setting, I've put a dough mix on for some breadrolls

For freezing do I prove and bake then freeze the rolls or freeze the dough to use later?
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • never too old
    • By never too old 27th Feb 11, 2:57 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 31,083 Thanks
    never too old
    Morning all

Behind again so I've only just seen Cutiepiebf's post asking where I got my veg box from.

I get it (13.49) delivered from Ab*l & Cole and I did have one on Friday on a whim. Most of it (cabbage, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, courgettes, carrots and parsnips) I can use up without too much mental strain this week but I am wondering what to do with a kohlrabi?

I'll only buy the odd one now because as OH always points out I could buy it cheaper and I always have to defend myself - I know he's right but I just like a box of veg! Sometimes it's not just about money is it? (I'm defending myself again!)

I'm over for this month, will have a tot-up in a minute and update totals. I'll declare tomorrow and see you in March on Tuesday

Katholicos, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Look after yourself.
    Originally posted by franby64
    i get a fruit and veg box delivered,costs me 12 week feeds 2 to 3,i shop midweek and the box comes on a sat. if i didnt have a box i would have to go to the supermarket to get fruit and veg and definately would buy other things. so its a saving in the long run
    2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

1560.87 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • never too old
    • By never too old 27th Feb 11, 3:14 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 31,083 Thanks
    never too old
    Im declaring my feb total as wont need to shop tomorrow.

im over budget at 342.10
    but in my defence im well stocked up, (freezer, dog food)

going to stick to my 300 budget and see if i can achieve it during March
    2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

1560.87 / 2019
    0%/100%
  • scotsaver
    Thank you for the cooking times roast is on. Now if anyone knows any good recipes for Jerusalem artichokes got a trug of them from the allotment!!!!!!
    Originally posted by huxley
    Huxley - j. artichokes (the infamous fartichokes!), last time we had them I did them as a gratin, sliced, and then slowcooked in cream, I think it was a Nigel Slater recipe. HTH
    Originally posted by hex2
    huxley - I was given some Jerusalem artichokes a couple of weeks ago by an Allotment neighbour, I made Carrot & Artichoke soup and as hex2 says, they lived up to their name!!

MRSMC - please put me down for 257.38 for FEB, slightly over but it was Half Term so I'm quite pleased really.

Please put me down for 250 for March, thanks. I've already spent 78 of that as I've placed another Order with DR. My first order arrived Friday and we used some the Shin of Beef in a Sophie Grigson recipe and the taste was amazing and the Beef was melt in the mouth so I'm over the moon. Decided to try and stick with them, working on the basis that if we cut down on the amount of Meat we eat, then on the nights that we do eat meat we can afford to eat better quality.

Off to check the Recipe index on the front page for some "meat free" meal ideas for March meal plan.

Good luck to those still to declare.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• rosieben
    ... Off to check the Recipe index on the front page for some "meat free" meal ideas for March meal plan. ...
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    I've been looking for meat free too, I'm a bit off meat at the moment; we have some Vegetarian ideas listed in the Complete Cooking collection post #8

• minnie2
    • By minnie2 27th Feb 11, 4:00 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    anyone seem any cheap airers anywhere?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • Outdoorlass
    • By Outdoorlass 27th Feb 11, 4:46 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Outdoorlass
    I failed "big time" all was going great for about 10 days, then it went pear shaped, no-one has been well and I have lost complete track of my shopping budget, I don't even want to look at my total spend as I know I will probably cry in dispair.

So onward and upwards to March which will start tomorrow for me, will wait for the new thread.
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 21/399
  • katholicos
    Hi folks. Took mum to buy a bit of shopping and i ended up spending 13 myself. Still, only tomorrow to go and then a new month begins. Can't remember if i have asked to be put down for an amount next month, so I will aim for 80 for March please Mrs M.

Thanks!
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Good evening everyone

My thoughts are with all those in need at this time.. hope things improve for you all soon!

Another nsd here although I will need to pick up a few odds n sods soon -milk for a start, ooh and a bit of fruit/salad and that should be us set for the week at least . I have a freezer and a bit full of meat that looks like it will last us months -especially as hubby has asked if there is any reason we can't have jacket potato, cottage cheese n salad for 6 out of 7 evening meals ?(cor he is easy to please)- I have no objection as we are both addicted to them ... I will get the variety in by changing around the lunches ....
    I have had the slow cooker on overtime today -I did a batch of Goan pork curry and then a batch of chinese pork -so thats a couple of lunches sorted (with leftovers) -hubby is off work again this week so we are out n about so it means I can do quick lunches once we are home ..ooh and I made some roasted tomato sauce too .....
    Anyway I had better get off and update the list..
    have a lovely evening all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 27th Feb 11, 5:47 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    anyone seem any cheap airers anywhere?
    Originally posted by minnie2
    argos got some reduced im picking 2 up on monday or B&M have a couple h t h
    2nd purse challenge no0400 Sealed pot challenge ???? 2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • fingersxed
    • By fingersxed 27th Feb 11, 6:09 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    fingersxed
    OMG Just completed wonderful spread sheet. Not gd news on the Grocery Challenge. I declare 454.91 Over my 400 budget but could have been worse?!?

Won't b shopping 2mo!!!!

Keeping my budget at 400 for March - will try harder - honest
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 27th Feb 11, 6:13 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Hippeechiq and Spiggle - I have to agree with you on the national anthem. Ireland, Scotland and Wales are all far superior to England’s which is so dismal and uninspiring it can often put you to sleep. Better not say anything else or may have to take a trip to the tower to get beheaded.

Have a very old cookery book - early 50’s I think - some bits missing other bits worn, dog eared and held together with a rubber band but never the less much loved. It was my DH mums and that woman could cook. Have just found coconut ice and peppermint cream in it, the treacle toffee is one of my aunties recipe slightly adjusted by yours truly….. ME. I was always told to - ‘Remove any children out of the kitchen’ when doing the treacle toffee. My eldest is now 34 and I still tell her to stand well back.

COCONUT ICE:
    Dissolve 1lb. Loaf sugar in pint of water and boil till turns to syrup (240 F) if you have a thermometer.
    Remove pan from heat and add 4oz desiccated coconut. Stir until mixture thickens and then as quickly as you can pour half of this mixture into a greased tin. Colour the remaining half pink and then pour this onto the white one and leave to set. When cool cut.

PEPPERMNT CREAMS:
    Sieve 1lb icing sugar, add lemon juice and 1 egg white then mix until a stiff, pliable paste. Flavour this with some peppermint essence and if you like tint green with food colouring. Roll this out and cut into what ever shapes you want.
    For other flavourings you can use grated orange or lemon rinds and colour accordingly.

TREACLE TOFFEE (one of my favourites)
    1lb brown sugar
    pint water
    4 oz. Black treacle
    2 oz margarine
    4oz. Golden sugar
    malt vinegar
    In a strong heavy saucepan dissolve the sugar in the water then add everything else apart from the vinegar. Bring this to the boil and heat until 270 F. Stir once or twice but not too often. Now add 1-2 tsps vinegar this makes it set hard. It also makes it bubble so be very careful at this stage. Now carefully pour this into a greased tin and leave to set.
    If you like me haven’t got a sugar thermometer drop a small ‘blob’ into a jug of very cold water. If it goes hard quickly then its done, if it doesn’t heat a little bit more BUT be very careful as it can easily take on a horrible burnt taste. To clean the sticky saucepan cover in cold water and heat slowly. Repeat if necessary.
    Last edited by Billie-jo; 27-02-2011 at 6:17 PM.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • looie
    • By looie 27th Feb 11, 6:17 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    looie
    !
    I am going to declare at 99.18 for this month as won't be spending anything tomorrow.

Only had couple of little spend in t's over the weekend - yoghurts which were on offer. Got a real taste for the shape greek ones ... yummy ! Got some brocolli for my bunnies and 4 loaves of reduced bread for the ducks at our local park.

Hope everyone's ok
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 27th Feb 11, 6:46 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    argos got some reduced im picking 2 up on monday or B&M have a couple h t h
    Originally posted by muffin man 7

thank you will have a look!!! whats b&m?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 27th Feb 11, 7:00 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    It did turn out to be a NSD for me today, although I was really tempted to go for a mooch, but the children wanted to stay at home, so they helped me to have a NSD! Going out for dd birthday dinner tomorrow, but that's budgetted for separately so will/should still be a NSD tom too. Tried and failed to count the NSDs this month, got a bit fraught towards the end. I reckon it's got to be more than 15 though, which is over half way!

I'm going to go and fiddle with my online shopping order now - trying asd@ for the first time. Realised I put chicken on there. which I won't need as I still have loads left in the freezer, and really, how much chicken will I eat in a month?!! That'll be comin goff, as well as a few other things... I'm going to finalise my meal plan too, and see what else I can use up next month.

Thanks for all the sweet ideas, keep them coming! What about boiled type sweets?

Night all,
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • rosieben
    Billie-jo, have added all your sweets recipes to the index, thanks

• fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 27th Feb 11, 7:04 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Well I made the bread rolls from the recipe in the BM book and they were gorgeous!

Why did I never consider this before? Super easy just left to prove and that was it, split into 8 rolls and bake for 12 mins and they turned out better than shop bought ones. Might try the ciabatta next, this will take a bit more thinking about to prepare as its done over 12 hours but thats it and should turn out quite a bit cheaper than shop bought ones and nice too I imagine!

Well had the BM for 3 years and only ever made a loaf. A whole new world of dough products await!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • helen jelly
    Hi all
    Had another spend to day of 25 - split between L!dl and W!lko's

Need to find my other post with total on it so I can update my siggy

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

487Posts Today

6,056Users online

Martin's Twitter