MSE News: Halifax to repay £500m to 300,000 mortgage holders

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The bank will pay compensation to borrowers who were given "confusing" information about a cap in interest costs ..."

Comments

• beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/distribution/lloyds-sets-aside-%C2%A3500m-redress-for-300000-mortgage-customers/1026466.article

Bit more detail
    The relevant mortgages were written during 2004 – 2007 by Bank of Scotland under the Halifax brand, and through the contact programme, goodwill payments will be made to affected customers.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like I may get some compensation or something then?

Not sure what for, mind. But the affected mortgages apply to myself.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2011 at 1:18PM
    Options
    http://www.halifax.co.uk/mortgages/help-and-advice/existing-customers/Halifax-Standard-Variable-Rate-announcement/

Relates to the October 2008 change to SVR from 2% above BofE to 3% above BofE which was very much a "survive the Credit Crunch" decision.

Perhaps Yorkshire/Clydesdale should also refund across the board for their calculation error.
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that link opinions4u
    Payment will be made to customers that received a Halifax mortgage offer between 20th September 2004 and 16th September 2007, and have been paying SVR at any point since 1st January 2009.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    http://www.halifax.co.uk/mortgages/help-and-advice/existing-customers/Halifax-Standard-Variable-Rate-announcement/

Relates to the October 2008 change to SVR from 2% above BofE to 3% above BofE which was very much a "survive the Credit Crunch" decision.

Perhaps Yorkshire/Clydesdale should also refund across the board for their calculation error.

So looks like they are going to give us the 1% back for each month?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2011 at 1:48PM
    Options
    So looks like they are going to give us the 1% back for each month?
    I understand that refunds will be made to the mortgage account. I assume (guess) that the amount will be based on the period of time the account has been impacted - so a maximum of 2 and a half years. Which, if I'm right, would mean some borrowers would see their debt reduced by 2.5%.

I would also assume that the SVR will remain at 3.5% (guess).

So by paying up in April they will cap any liability to longer term payments (guess).
    If you are affected, a letter will be sent to you during April. This letter will explain whether or not a payment will be credited to your mortgage, and what the value of that payment will be.
    If though, you have a question that is not answered then please call 0800 1412146
    The update seems to imply it is merely a 'goodwill payment' for not being so clear about it, as opposed to an actual refund? It's all a bit legal-speak for me
    It is legal speak. Halifax can argue that the T&Cs allowed for them to do what they did. The regulator could argue it wasn't clear. If it went to court the decision could reasonably go in favour of Halifax as they stuck to the letter of their T&Cs.

The solution sounds like a way of capping the cost, removing the risk of Halifax losing and also trying to get a bit of good PR out of a situation that would otherwise have dragged on for years.
  • crispy_chris
    Options
    The update seems to imply it is merely a 'goodwill payment' for not being so clear about it, as opposed to an actual refund? It's all a bit legal-speak for me :)
  • senza7
    senza7 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2011 at 2:26PM
    Options
    Hi
    Can anybody tell me does this effect me?? I took a 5 year fixed mortgage april 2006 and on my terms says it will revert to SVR 2% when terms ends april 2011? Does this mean i will be paying 3.5%??
    angie:-)
  • chronosman
    Options
    Does anyone know if this is likely to affect other banks and building societies? I had a similar deal with another bank where I am still stuck on a massive and practically usurious SVR (currently BoE base plus 4.49%). I guess it all depends on the wording on the whether there is a cap or not?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure