Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • moggins
    • By moggins 29th Mar 05, 9:45 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 29th Mar 05, 9:45 PM
    • 29th Mar 05, 9:45 PM
    Every time I have tried to freeze raw potato they have turned black, you may have more success if you blanch them in boiling water first?
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • BrokeBrokeBroke
    • 29th Mar 05, 9:57 PM
    • 29th Mar 05, 9:57 PM
    Good plan, I shall try that (as in put them in boiling water then quickly into cold water, or shall I try and part-boil them first- they maybe a bit hard to coat then)
    • Trow
    • By Trow 30th Mar 05, 5:20 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 30th Mar 05, 5:20 AM
    • 30th Mar 05, 5:20 AM
    If you are having a cooking day, you might be better off to spice them and cook them fully and then freeze them, to reheat when needing them. Cooked potatoes freeze ok.
  • jennyjo
    • 30th Mar 05, 6:32 AM
    • 30th Mar 05, 6:32 AM
    I agree potatos have to be cooked before freezing, even then they don't freeze very well, in soups for instance they go all mushy when you defrost and heat up

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me
    • skylight
    • By skylight 11th Sep 05, 1:49 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 11th Sep 05, 1:49 PM
    Can I freeze Potatoes???
    • 11th Sep 05, 1:49 PM
    Brought a massive bag for 39p reduced (sell by tomorrow),

But can I freeze them to keep them? and if so, how? :confused:

I assume I would peel them before freezing??? :confused:

I plan on just chucking them straight into the slowcooker or boil them, so I also assume that defrosting them isn't going to be a problem????
    :confused:
    Please could you make sense of my assumptions and could someone actually tell me what I should do with them!!!!!!
  • Joto
    • 11th Sep 05, 1:59 PM
    • 11th Sep 05, 1:59 PM
    Hi My mother in law always par boils her potatoes and then freezes them at xmas. She then roasts them from frozen and they always taste ok. So I guess the answer to your question will be yes.
    • Bennifred
    • By Bennifred 11th Sep 05, 2:05 PM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 7,945 Thanks
    Bennifred
    • 11th Sep 05, 2:05 PM
    • 11th Sep 05, 2:05 PM
    Also, in my experience potatoes will keep fresh quite a long time after the sell-by date, as long as they are kept in a cool, dark, airy place (e.g in a sack in the garage) . So you don't need to rush to freeze them all!
    [
    • skylight
    • By skylight 11th Sep 05, 2:12 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 11th Sep 05, 2:12 PM
    • 11th Sep 05, 2:12 PM
    Thanks!

They are slightly damp now though..............

My highly intelligent daughter put them in the sink when we were unpacking the shopping.

Please don't ask me why though.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hi

If I make too many roasties (rare with my dd)-I have a bag in the freezer to stick them in (also do this with HM yorkies), then about every 4 weeks I have enough for a lazy roast and just heat in oven from frozen and they taste just like fresh You can also do this with mash-I normally get out of freezer in morning-then heat in microwave with a little milk to cream.

So, if it were me, I would cook then freeze.

PP
    xx
    Last edited by Penny-Pincher!!; 11-09-2005 at 3:29 PM.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 11th Sep 05, 3:56 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    Or you could peel and chip them. Blanch in oil at about 150 in the fryer until soft but not coloured. Freeze when cold in portion sizes and then to serve fry from frozen ast 180 until crisp and golden.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 11th Sep 05, 5:17 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I know some people say you shouldn't keep spuds in the fridge for some reason, but I do, and unless you don't plan on using them all up within the next couple of weeks then stick them in the fridge and they'll be fine, no going off or sprouting hairy legs
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 11th Sep 05, 5:20 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Or you could peel and chip them. Blanch in oil at about 150 in the fryer until soft but not coloured. Freeze when cold in portion sizes and then to serve fry from frozen ast 180 until crisp and golden.
    by foreverskint

Apparently that's the best method for making HM chips (skipping out the freezing bit) but double frying them at 150C and 180C
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 11th Sep 05, 5:58 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    absolutely,CQ. Makes the best chips ever! When everyones in for dineer 6 in all, I have to peel and chip around 10lbs of spuds to make enough to satisfy my little ganets .

So if I have the time and the spuds I freeze ahead otherwise i'm in the kitchen all afternoon.
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 11th Sep 05, 6:13 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Please could ...<snip>....... someone actually tell me what I should do with them!!!!!!
    by charlotte664
    Easy really. Invite me round for tea. No leftovers, no problem. And in keeping with the spirit of the site, I save money.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 11th Sep 05, 6:19 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    Easy really. Invite me round for tea. No leftovers, no problem. And in keeping with the spirit of the site, I save money.
    by mrbadexample

By all means. In 15 mins???

And all visitors are expected to bring a very large chocolate cake though.

At least one!
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 11th Sep 05, 6:51 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    By all means. In 15 mins???

And all visitors are expected to bring a very large chocolate cake though.

At least one!
    by charlotte664

Damn, I have missed the 15 minute deadline.

Unfortunately, chocolate cake has a seriously limited life expectancy in my hands.

Any other gifts I could bring? Wine is safe, I don't like that....
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 11th Sep 05, 6:51 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    Tough.

Too late - rude visitors are never asked back!!!
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 11th Sep 05, 7:00 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Tough.

Too late - rude visitors are never asked back!!!
    by charlotte664
    But I haven't visited once yet, and I'm sure I wasn't rude?
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 6th Feb 06, 3:21 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Freezing roast potatoes
    Ive been reading on some threads, that people are freezing par - boiled potatos ready for roasties another day. Can you also freeze them once roasted and crispy? I know you can also buy frozen roasties, but has anybody done this, and do they still come out crispy?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,413Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin