PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing potatoes

Options
My family really love spicy wedges which I usually make fresh, but I want to have a 'cooking' day this weekend and 'slice and spice' some spuds then whack in the freezeruntil needed in the next couple of weeks (the theory being I can just stick them in the oven ??) Will this work? Thanks!

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Every time I have tried to freeze raw potato they have turned black, you may have more success if you blanch them in boiling water first?
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • BrokeBrokeBroke
    Options
    Good plan, I shall try that (as in put them in boiling water then quickly into cold water, or shall I try and part-boil them first- they maybe a bit hard to coat then)
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are having a cooking day, you might be better off to spice them and cook them fully and then freeze them, to reheat when needing them. Cooked potatoes freeze ok.
  • jennyjo_2
    jennyjo_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Options
    I agree potatos have to be cooked before freezing, even then they don't freeze very well, in soups for instance they go all mushy when you defrost and heat up

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Brought a massive bag for 39p reduced :T (sell by tomorrow),

But can I freeze them to keep them? and if so, how? :confused:

I assume I would peel them before freezing??? :confused:

I plan on just chucking them straight into the slowcooker or boil them, so I also assume that defrosting them isn't going to be a problem????
    :confused:
    Please could you make sense of my assumptions and could someone actually tell me what I should do with them!!!!!! :j
  • Joto_2
    Joto_2 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    Hi My mother in law always par boils her potatoes and then freezes them at xmas. She then roasts them from frozen and they always taste ok. So I guess the answer to your question will be yes.
    Look after the pennies and the £££s will look after themselves
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    Also, in my experience potatoes will keep fresh quite a long time after the sell-by date, as long as they are kept in a cool, dark, airy place (e.g in a sack in the garage) ;) . So you don't need to rush to freeze them all!
    [
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Thanks!

They are slightly damp now though..............

My highly intelligent daughter put them in the sink when we were unpacking the shopping.

Please don't ask me why though.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hi

If I make too many roasties (rare with my dd)-I have a bag in the freezer to stick them in (also do this with HM yorkies), then about every 4 weeks I have enough for a lazy roast and just heat in oven from frozen and they taste just like fresh :D You can also do this with mash-I normally get out of freezer in morning-then heat in microwave with a little milk to cream.

So, if it were me, I would cook then freeze.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • foreverskint
    Options
    Or you could peel and chip them. Blanch in oil at about 150 in the fryer until soft but not coloured. Freeze when cold in portion sizes and then to serve fry from frozen ast 180 until crisp and golden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure