Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 37
    • Tibbie's mum
    • By Tibbie's mum 5th Jan 11, 5:20 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Tibbie's mum
    Had to make an emergency dash to Mr T, for some essential toiletries. I only bought what was on my list, so I'll have to add another 13.50 to my total. I did buy 5 worth of Christmas stuff, but that doesn't come off my grocery budget and it's all in the saving money cause.
    Last edited by Tibbie's mum; 05-01-2011 at 5:26 PM.
    • Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 5th Jan 11, 5:41 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 22,390 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    Hi everyone

Hope you are all feeling well, I am feeling alot better after having the flu, which was good for NSDs and using up all kind of leftovers lol.

Sent OH to mr A this afternoon (knew I shouldnt) for bread & milk only, as I had started on online shop, he came back with crisps, buscuits, cooked meat & custard! etc he spent 10.36, never mind he though he was helping out.

Online shop booked for 2morrow afternoon so will update signature after it arrives, lot more than I would normally spend at this time of the year but needs must I have not shopped properly since before Christmas.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

Weight loss 3 stone
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 5th Jan 11, 5:43 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Had a day of using up some out of date stuff. One jelly, 2 packets of angel delight, one packet of sosmix and one pack of pasta in sauce.
    Actually well enough to start eating my Chrismas choccies!!! What a pleasure!
    Dough in the breadmaker-now off to turn it into a loaf in the oven.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jan 11, 5:49 PM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 54,918 Thanks
    Mooloo
    DS is drinking the blackcurrent squash as if it was going out of fashion. So when I put petrol in the car I picked up one at 1.11!eek. But then if I had gone in the store I would have picked up other things I may want then I need.!
    Trying to remember to enter my spends on the spread sheet before I forget. Lets hope it works in keeping me focused. Money is going out a lot faster then it is coming in, and my comfort buffer/emergency funds are now depleat.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Candy Belle

Evening All!!

Wow this threads getting so big just caught up on all of todays!

Just an ikkle shop for me today from A**a

Small Wholemeal Loaf 75p
    Porridge Oats 62p
    50 Green Teabags 1.26

Grand total 2.63

Have a good evening all x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
    • Pixie Fairydust
    • By Pixie Fairydust 5th Jan 11, 6:08 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    Pixie Fairydust
    Pipkin71 - thanks for the biscuit recipe, will try and start making biccies and cakes for packed lunches.

I love on line shopping, esp A$da, as you can type in an item, ie butter and then list everything from cheapest to most expensive, I find it saves trawling through pages and pages, you can't do this with Mr T or Mr S. Also Mr S won't price match, if you order cheap peas and they only have luxury ones they charge you the higher price whereas the other 2 don't.

I am so envious of you all doing a shop for approx 30 - 50, mine is at 86 already! Will tweak it in time for weekend delivery, we are living out of the freezer/cupboards at the mo, kids not impressed though! but no money until the weekend!

Keep up the good work everyone, I just keep thinking of booking my summer holiday and we will only do this if I cut back on groceries.

Love the cheap bubble bath idea for liquid handwash, will try that as they are soooo expensive.
    It's the most wonderful time of the year!
    Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica!
    I wish you were here.
    But you're not, you're there.
    And there doesn't know how lucky it is.

• slbhill
    • By slbhill 5th Jan 11, 6:13 PM
    • 5,208 Posts
    • 363,180 Thanks
    slbhill
    Just totted up last month & updated my signature, not too bad but I evidently need to keep at it! So please could you put me down for 160 again, for January .

Still got quite a bit of meat in the freezer but no fruit, no salad and not much fresh veg. Have planned meals for this week & next using what we've got so hopefully can hit target this time & start thinking about reducing it a bit more. Fingers crossed!
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 11, 6:16 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Love the cheap bubble bath idea for liquid handwash, will try that as they are soooo expensive.
    Originally posted by Pixie Fairydust
    Some posters on the OS board water down the bubble bath, which would make it go further, but I just fill them up as is.

I assume that it's fine to water down though
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 5th Jan 11, 6:21 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    Welsh cake recipe

8oz self raising flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    4oz butter
    3oz sugar
    3oz currants
    1 large egg and a little milk
    good pinch of mixed spice or nutmeg

rub fat in to flour, baking powder and spice
    add sugar and currants, bind with beaten egg and milk to a stiffish paste. roll out 1/4 inch thick then cut in to 2.5 inch rounds and bake on a greased griddle, 3-5 minutes each side until mottled with golden brown sprinkle with sugar and eat while warm.
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 5th Jan 11, 6:23 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    OH just brought home 6 large oranges from work, he always gets them every year as a good luck present from people he works with in Israel. So I am going to make marmalade at the weekend with them.
  • david69
    Well i went to mr al today and got 4 bags of shopping for 17.00 which will see me through to weekend.
    Also went to butchers nextdoor and had a look at their door (doubleglazing repairer) got some free meat in exchange and more to come
    • Pixie Fairydust
    • By Pixie Fairydust 5th Jan 11, 6:24 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    Pixie Fairydust
    Pipkin 71 - just tried to PM you, but your inbox is full!
    It's the most wonderful time of the year!
    Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica!
    I wish you were here.
    But you're not, you're there.
    And there doesn't know how lucky it is.

• toddles*
    • By toddles* 5th Jan 11, 6:28 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    another spend in Mr A's 24.
    They had so many xmas decorations reduced so very cheap I couldnt resist. I know it will save me money for next year as we didnt have any decorations up this year as they were all so rubbish and broken. but next xmas my house will look like lapland. Also bought my crackers and all my wrap. Stored nicely in the loft with the tree for next year. Is it sad that Im excited already??

Just changed to decaf tea. Mainly for the baby as I drink so much of it. But also it stops you going to the loo every 5 mins. but yorkshire tea decaf is soooooo expensive. does anyone else have any ideas about what other decaf tea is nice.
    Happy days
    • boysma
    • By boysma 5th Jan 11, 6:31 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Today's spend of 12.38 now added, this includes bread and fruit so hopefully should only need milk over next couple of days. Fingers crossed
    Payment A Day 15 (started 17/5/14)
    • elf06
    • By elf06 5th Jan 11, 6:31 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Just changed to decaf tea. Mainly for the baby as I drink so much of it. But also it stops you going to the loo every 5 mins. but yorkshire tea decaf is soooooo expensive. does anyone else have any ideas about what other decaf tea is nice.
    Originally posted by toddles*
    All I know is that I suffered terrible headaches when I switched to decaf
    Emma

Aug GC - 88.17/130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • fingersxed
    • By fingersxed 5th Jan 11, 6:33 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    fingersxed
    Hi Everybody

I had a wander round Tesco and was v gd!! Only spent 29.52. Got home then realised i'd forgot milk! Sent youngest daughter to local shop so another 2 spent. Must update sig
  • booskyeboo
    Hi
    I had a NSD yesterday, have spent 12.89 on fruit, dried fruit and nuts, ( does anyone know of any where that sells dried fruit and nuts a bit cheaper I have bought some from H&B today, I have also bought them from the supermarket in the past) I will go and update signature.
    WW start date 31/8/2011

weight lost so far:- 32lbs
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 5th Jan 11, 6:47 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    2.36 spent in Lidl - 2 bags of red onions (to be caramelised when I have freezer space), 3 boxes of Oxo cubes (3 for 99p which I thought was quite good) and a packet of domino cubes (like small cake/chocolates and very tasty!) They were reduced as Christmas stock and kept looking at me!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • salski
    Well so much for my previous post! I will have to go to Mr T's in a mo to get some essentials such as squash and lemsips (cheapo version) for poorly OH.
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS 750 now 0! Natwest CC - WAS 1600 now 100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
  • Zend
    January Grocery Challenge
    Hi, Could you please put me down for 100 this month please. We still have a lot of food left over from Christmas. This will be a very expensive month due to car tax, insurance etc and just finding out it is going to cost nearly 600 to have some dental work.
    January spend = 100
    Spent =
    saving =
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

570Posts Today

5,055Users online

Martin's Twitter